Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Anyone know of a wireless load balancing router? My client has a d-link wired load balancing router (the DI-LB604) that has a printer and a PC connected to it.

She wants wireless laptops to have access to the printer tho by using a wireless connection tho, so instead of getting a wireless AP I was hoping to find a cheap all-in-one wireless load balancing router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Im not sure how to best phrase this question but:
Whats a good product (or way) to physically secure an external hard drive? Security where I work isn't exactly the greatest and theres nothing stopping a person from walking in and simply picking up a drive.

My boss was thinking of a cage type of of thing but I doubt our clients would like that.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

kapalama posted:

Which are you protecting against: theft after hours, or theft during work hours?

all times really, but I guess primarily during the work day.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

kapalama posted:

Why are external drives something that you are particularly worried about? Because they can fit into a pocket?

I mean, I'm not worried about them but my boss is. And some of our clients are VERY paranoid.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Is there a monitor /keyboard combo for servers thats REALLY small? Id only be using it for fresh installs and emergencies so a 7 inch screen is all I need.

Or just a 7 inch screen? Or better yet, something sub $100. I want to give my current 17 inch monitor to my parents but like I said, Ill need something just in case.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
So this just popped into my head the other day when I realized that my cpu fan was pulling a lot of dust onto the panel grill. Should the CPU fan be blowing air ON TO the heatsink/cpu or AWAY from them? Like, do I want to blow that hot air away from the cpu?

I have a HTPC and the side panel is about 3mm off the fan so whatever I can do to keep temp and sound down Ill do.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
I had a lovely two drive SATA dock and while it was working, I noticed that when it was running my HDDs would get really hot. But once I moved them into a case I would touch them to compare and they dont really get that hot.

Is overheating common for SATA docks? Id imagine its just my lovely dock.

edit - mine was a Cavalry I got off newegg for free with a 1TB drive.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
so I just bought this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811190113

And was wondering if (1)the 150w PSU is enough for my build:
Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
1 3.5 SATA drive
1 2.5 SATA drive
and probably a second 3.5 SATA.

(2) Im really worried about over heating.
Theres only one fan on the case, and its blowing air out through the back. The Fan on the CPU is blowing air down, and the PSU has a fan blowing air out the side (kinda. theres like, a full inch of space between the fan and the vent).

I was thinking, maybe the back fan should be blowing cool air in, so the cpu fan pulls it down on to the processor? Then maybe fixing a small fan on the side vent to pull air out? I dunno how air flow in a case should work.

How many watts to SATA drives use?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
This is a dumb question but can I use an old PCI card in a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot? I need some extra SATA ports and I dont want to pay $59+ if I already have a card.

rugbert fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Steve Moore posted:

Nope.

Didnt think so.

Does anyone know of a cheap PCI Express 2.0 x16 card with 4 sata connectors?

• Locked thread