Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
What was the recommended website for buying cheap hdmi cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54, running tomato firmware. I have 1 hardwired desktop and 1 wireless laptop. I want to connect my router which is upstairs in my house to several of my home entertainment components downstairs. I'd rather not run individual wires for each component through my wall because I'm going to have to cut a hole in the wall and drill through the bottom plate as it stands. I'd like to run 1 wire to a switch or another router downstairs. Please take a look at this picture and tell me what I need.

Questions:
1) What do I need: router, switch, ap etc?
2) I may stream video, can/should I use cat6?
3) Will this be a problem playing games on Wii or Xbox Live or DirecTV on demand?
4) Can I go buy 100' of catX at monoprice.com and cut it to the length I need and attach new connectors on it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

simcole fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 23, 2008

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
Wow thanks for the detailed responses. I already have a crimper and some ends from a long time ago. Should I pick any specific brand of switch? And can I get a confirmation that I DO need a crossover cable and NOT a patch cable to connect the switch to the router.

I'm going to see if Lowes or someone does sell cat5e by the foot. I also plan on installing wall boxes and plates to make things nice. I've done that plenty of times and it's easy. The hard part of this install will be drilling through the floor/ceiling plate so that the wires can go from the second floor to the first.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I want to take my touchscreen pc (jukebox in a closet) and run a monitor cable 20' to my pc-ready tv. I want to be able to see the music video's & visualizations on my tv. Does such a cable exist? how far can I expect a cable to work? Should I just do it another way?

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

Cidrick posted:

Define PC-Ready. Some TVs will have an ordinary analog VGA input that you can just hook it up to.

What sort of outputs does the touchscreen PC have? If it has a DVI-out and your TV has an HDMI port, you can buy an HDMI to DVI cable to run it to the TV, then you'd just use the touchscreen PC to switch to whatever input it's on.

My TV has an analog VGA input on it. The touchscreen has both DVI and VGA. The TV has a spare HDMI port at the moment. I'm going to run the cable under the carpet (maybe baseboard) around the perimeter of the room. I haven't decided if I want both the touchscreen & the TV to be on at the same time or not.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

Robzilla posted:

So I am thinking about getting a new mouse pad since I am a Serious Gamer™ :rolleyes: and have been wondering what some of you might recommend. I've looked around and I am eying the Razer eXact mat or the Func Archetype.

I know, these are more accessories than real hardware and I didn't think it warranted it's own thread.

=(

I've been using my FuncPad for years. I love it. It's reversible and has 2 different textured surfaces. Plus you can wash it! I like that it's not so massive that it takes up my whole desktop either, though they have those options too. http://www.func.net/

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

Sheep posted:

I built a new computer maybe 3 months ago. At some point last week Windows Update pushed down some crazy update, and upon rebooting, not only did the computer run like poo poo, but my User Profile was borked. Managed to fix the profile thing with some registry voodoo, but the machine still ran like total rear end.

I went and got a new hard drive, installed Vista onto it, and then copied everything off of the old hard drive. After that, I grabbed Seagate's SeaTools for DOS, burned it to a CD, and tried to do the tests. The hard drive "stopped responding" during the long test after only 15 minutes, and the Short DST straight up failed with no explanation. Reformatted the drive, and it apparently found two bad sectors and promptly fixed them. I haven't really bothered using it since, as I still have 200 gigabytes free on my new hard drive.

So I'm wondering, should I just try to get the hard drive replaced (it has to still be under the manufacturer's warranty) or should it theoretically be okay?

If it were me I'd get it replaced.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I don't have first hand experience with this but when I was looking for a hub this one looked nice. http://www.everythingusb.com/belkin_7-port_plus_usb_2.0_hub_12907.html

He had 2 external HD's, Ipod, Cell phone and other stuff plugged in all working.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

Terpfen posted:

A relative of mine would like to output video from his laptop to his TV in order to watch movies and slideshows directly off the laptop. The laptop only has a VGA port, no S-video or HDMI; the TV doesn't have VGA, but has HDMI and composite. The laptop also has 3 USB ports, in case there's some crazy USB adapter solution.

Anyone know how to get this done?

Will this work? It will only cost $3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I'm constantly doing work on other peoples computers and I have a need for a universal HD adapter so I can just do the work from my pc. I'm thinking about buying this adapter http://www.newertech.com/products/usb2_adaptv2.php Does anyone have any contrary recommendations or reasons not to buy this one?

• Locked thread