Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yim
Feb 12, 2004
I TURNED 20 AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STINKING CUSTOM TITLE

chizad posted:

I've tried looking into this before, but the correct info always seems to be troublesome to track down. I've got an eVGA 6600GT (AGP.) What are my options as far as aftermarket coolers go?

The Zalman may not work for you (But I'd recommend them if it does):
http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/VF700_compatiblelist_eng.html
http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/VF700_6600GT_eng.html

And a couple of question of my own, I've just bought a new PC. It's a bit lounder than my last one, so I'm obviously thinking of quieter coolers again.

I bought a dual-core 3800+, I presume the Scythe Ninja would be a good choice? Should I be able to use the Ninja without a fan? I have the Antec P180 case, so there's decent air flow, and I haven't overclocked. (Yet, I MIGHT do that in the future, but that would possibly cause me to need the fan for the Ninja yes?)
I also bought a XFX 7900GT. This is definatly the loudest part of the system. However, in the nVidia control panel, it says that it idles at around 40 degrees C. (Is this accurate? As I thought Vid Cards ran hotter?) Will the Zalman VF900-Cu be just as cool, but quieter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yim
Feb 12, 2004

Miko posted:

I've come to the conclusion that silencing a PC follows the pattern of:

Quieting CPU + Vid Card + PSU + removing case fans > Undervolting everything since you can still hear them > Getting frustrated since you can't 'quiet' your HD > Getting really high temps over your entire system during summer, causing problems > Revert back to whatever you had and dealing with it.

:(

I'm going to have to disagree. If you plan ahead (Get a decent case to start with), and then buy quality products you should do fine.

I just quietened my 7900GT with a Zalman cooler, now it runs at 35 degree's idle! It's practically begging me to overclock so that it can warm up a little!

Anyway, combeign that with the Scythe ninja cpu cooler without the fan, and the Zalman northbridge cooler and Zalman powersupply, the system is very quite, very cool, and still powerful.

Yim
Feb 12, 2004
Hi guys, a quick question about my HDDs here, are they about to die?

I had a few blue screens with the 'machine_check_exception' error the other day, but when I went to the event viewer I found no reports at all from that day (I guess the system locked up really hard and no events were logged?!). Whatever the case, there were two previous errors over the past two months that said:

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block.

Explanation:
The device has a bad block of memory, which Windows attempted to read. The data might be missing or corrupted.
User Action:
If this event is logged regularly, replace the hard disk drive.

What's regularly? Is there some way that I can check the state of these drives? If I format it'll check which sectors are bad and update the table correct? But that would just help with the current bad sectors? If more appear I'd be in trouble correct?

I guess I'm hoping that there's still life in them, or a way to tell if there is or isn't still life in them and they aren't totally screwed.

Thanks for any help.

Yim fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 7, 2008

• Locked thread