Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I tried to make a DOS boot disc on a floppy that also has my motherboard's latest firmware. However, there's no way to do it and have all the necessary files on the floppy at once (one of them is a ~1MB .bin). Any advice on how I can make this happen?

To make it more clear, I'm trying to upgrade my Mobo's firmware and it has to be done through a DOS boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

jassa posted:

Couldn't you just make and use a bootable cd instead?

My burners won't burn, that's why I'm trying to upgrade the mobo (in hopes that it will fix the problem or give me new options to figure out what's wrong).

Joepublic posted:

Make a USB flash drive bootable. I made my 1GB flash drive bootable and I have a ton of BIOS images on it and haven't had any problems flashing off of it. You can find lots of instructions online for how to do this.

Couldn't figure out how to do this the other day, the only way I know how to make a DOS boot disc is by formatting it from the A: drive, but I'll look into how to use a USB.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Stalizard posted:

I have to replace the RAM in my laptop, but I have no idea what sort of RAM to get to replace it with. Amazon currently tells me that I have PC4200 DDR2 SDRAM and that it goes at 533 mhz. Can I just grab any DDR2 SDRAM off of newegg? More specifically, what does PC4200 mean? would PC2 5400 RAM work?

Someone recommended to me crucial.com 's system test which will tell you what can work. Of course, it will only tell you Crucial products but you can always buy off brand with the same specs.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I bought a Brother HP-2140 printer for my mom but it didn't come with the USB cable. Newegg charges out the rear end for cables, but http://www.ebusinesscables.com/USB_Products2.htm those guys are cheap. Any experience with them, or any other reputable site I could get a really cheap printer USB cable?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Zorilla posted:

Welcome to the real price of cables. Monoprice.com is pretty much the standard place to go if you need to shop for some.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Edit: wow, cheap as hell. $.85 for the cable and another ~$1 for shipping.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 16, 2008

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Here's my problem:

I'm running Vista 64 off of a SATA hard drive. I'm trying to connect my two IDE hard drives. I've had them located in disk manager, but it wants to format them before I can actually use them. They both have the exact same data on each disc, so I'm running a format on one to see what happens. I really don't want to lose this data permanantly, so I'm not sure where to proceed from here.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

spanko posted:

Are they dynamic disks from windows xp? If so you are hosed and can't use them in any OS besides XP.

Yep, they are and that's totally bullshit :(.

Aaaaand it deleted everything on both discs. gently caress.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 9, 2008

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I have an Abit IP35-Pro and every time the CPU temp goes above 80C it starts beeping at me. How do i make it stop beeping.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I just replaced my heatsink the other day and it's mounted correctly.

After installing Vista SP2 my temps are back to ~32. I can't explain why it was getting up to 80 for any reason.

I forgot to mention, it also beeps every time I run AVG. I have no idea why. Like, long constant beeping until I stop the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

drat NIGGA posted:

My computer had been turning off randomly for the last week or two. I cleaned it today, thinking it was heating due to heat. 20 minutes after using it after cleaning it, it turned off, and won't turn back on. Everything was connected, no moisture, no static.

I took the Ram out and it turns on. So I just need new Ram and it'll work?

The same thing happened to me not too long ago. Make sure your heatsink is cleared of dust and seated correctly. It's possible your thermal grease needs replaced as well.

• Locked thread