Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TopGun
Mar 13, 2004
I'm cool like that
Ok say I want to build a new computer using one of those newfangled Conroe processors. Basically just building a new computer with some fairly good specs.

I'm interested in using a three monitor setup (not desktop mirroring, but a full, three monitor desktop so the cursor goes from screen to screen). Specifically, three Dell 1907FP monitors (unless someone has a better idea for monitors). These monitors have both a DVI and analog input.

The question is, how do I hook these up to the computer? I realize many video cards come with more than one video out, usually two, but how to hook up three monitors? Do I use the DVI out and use a splitter of some kind? Do I hook up one monitor to one of the outputs and the other two to the other output with some kind of splitter?

Basically, how do I get a three monitor setup to work with a home desktop with one video card, and is it even a GOOD idea to attempt this?

Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopGun
Mar 13, 2004
I'm cool like that
Huh, strange. I thought it would work, simply because the computers at work use a dual-screen setup. They don't have fantastic video cards, and when I looked in the back, both monitors were hooked up by what looked like a simple splitter cable, which then plugged into the VGA output of the video card.

I figured that sort of setup would result in mirroring, but the monitors functioned as one large desktop, and in the display properties it recognized two monitors, so I'm unsure as to how it was done.

TopGun
Mar 13, 2004
I'm cool like that
As I mentioned above, I'm planning on building a new system using the Conroe processor. I'll probably get this motherboard, or something similar.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

Anyway, you'll notice it uses the Realtek ALC883 codec. In my current computer, I have a SoundBlaster Audigy (old school, huh!). Now, I don't have any plans for a surround system of any kind. Any media on my computer that would benefit from such a setup will probably be streamed to my Xbox 360 or something like that, which is hooked up to my actual home theater. In fact, I'll probably just use the attachable accessory speaker that comes with the Dell 1907FP or a set of desktop speakers.

Now the question is, since I don't have any huge requirements, would I benefit from using my SB Audigy with the new motherboard to save processing power or something like that, even though the gains would probably be minimal? Would there be any sort of quality difference?

Just want your thoughts on using onboard sound or my old sound card. Thanks.

TopGun
Mar 13, 2004
I'm cool like that
Ok here's another question.

As far as memory goes, is there a performance difference with DDR2 if you're using 4 X 512 MB modules or 2 X 1 GB modules?

Just curious.

TopGun
Mar 13, 2004
I'm cool like that
Hey quick question. I'm building my new computer, and it has a 7900 video card with two DVI outs. I was thinking of getting two monitors. I'll be using this computer for a fair amount of gaming and whatnot.

Does anybody have any good monitor reccomendations?

I was thinking of getting two Dell 1907FP LCD's. Are these good monitors for gaming? Is there anything I should know about them.

It's been so long since I've purchased a monitor, I'm just getting opinions on what's good and a good value. I'm looking to get 19 inch monitors, but if anybody has suggestions for something else, let me know!

Thanks.

TopGun
Mar 13, 2004
I'm cool like that
Quick question that sounds strange...

How do you guys use two hard drives?

Ha... what I mean is, if you're building a system, is it good to buy a fast, low-capacity drive for the operating system and a large-capacity drive for everything else.

I suppose that's a sub-question as well. On the fast, low-capacity drive do you put ONLY the OS, or do you put the OS and the applications themselves. OR do you use the large-capacity drive for both data files AND applications?

What's the right way to do it, or does it even matter, and does anybody have comments on something I'm missing. Thanks!

TopGun
Mar 13, 2004
I'm cool like that

TopGun posted:

Quick question that sounds strange...

How do you guys use two hard drives?

Ha... what I mean is, if you're building a system, is it good to buy a fast, low-capacity drive for the operating system and a large-capacity drive for everything else.

I suppose that's a sub-question as well. On the fast, low-capacity drive do you put ONLY the OS, or do you put the OS and the applications themselves. OR do you use the large-capacity drive for both data files AND applications?

What's the right way to do it, or does it even matter, and does anybody have comments on something I'm missing. Thanks!

Anybody have any suggestions, advice, etc?

TopGun
Mar 13, 2004
I'm cool like that

Dobermaniac posted:

I've always wondered... what is the difference between onboard nics, cheap-o realtek nics, and the 50+ dollar intel(or another expensive brand) nics?
And
is it worth ponying up the money for a more expensive network card for a computer that is going to be doing heavy transfers to multiple computers?

Anybody know how the onbaord NIC's from Marvell match up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopGun
Mar 13, 2004
I'm cool like that
So here's a quick question.

I was having a problem with my computer, and called the mobo manufacturer for some help. We determined that my CPU fan is probably not the greatest, so I'm going to replace it.

She suggested I purchased a fan that has four pins instead of three (the CPU connector on the mobo has four pins, but I thought it was fine to just use the three pin connector).

So anyway, what is the difference between a fan with 3 pins and a fan with 4 pins on the connector? And does it really make a difference?

Thanks!

• Locked thread