Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
Can wireless mice ( 2.4 Ghz ) negatively affect the performance of other wireless hardware, particularly routers? Or vice versa? I've heard stories of 2.4 Ghz cordless phones screwing up wireless routers, so I am curious if a cordless mouse could do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
Is it true that having a PCI soundcard ( as opposed to using onboard sound ) will give a minor boost to system performance since it offloads all the audio work?

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
Are there any case fans or case fan manufacturer(s) that you guys would recommend? I'm looking for reliable 120mm case fans that can move a lot of air. I'm using Antec case fans right now and I'm wondering if I can do better.

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
Would upgrading from a single-core Athlon to a dual-core Athlon require a reformat on a Windows XP Home machine? Or is it pretty much plug-and-play?

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.

Ravarek posted:

Would upgrading from a single-core Athlon to a dual-core Athlon require a reformat on a Windows XP Home machine? Or is it pretty much plug-and-play?

Bumping this question and adding another: Does anyone have recommendations for reliable DVD-RW or DVD+RW media? I've been using Maxell DVD+RW media and I've been getting coasters like crazy. I've heard TDK brand media is pretty solid - any truth to this?

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.

Grumperfish posted:

As long as you're not switching motherboards then you shouldn't need to do an XP reinstall. If your current motherboard doesn't support the dual-core chip you want to move to (requiring that you get a new board), then yes you'll probably have to reformat.

Excellent. So, if I keep the same motherboard ( which does support dual-core ) do I need to uninstall the current processor first in device manager or anything? Or is it pretty much just plug-and-play with the new one?

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
Quick question: Would I notice a significant improvement to my gaming audio experience if I moved up from onboard Realtek ALC883 sound to an X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card (or something similar)? Also, I listen to music occasionally, but I'm not an audiophile looking for the most high-end card in the world. In a nutshell, I guess I am asking if a mid-range or upper mid-range sound card is worth the money. Thanks in advance.

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
I have a few simple questions.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably cheap but decent full color printer for business presentations/reports?

2. Would somebody running programs like Photoshop/Maya/FinalCut benefit from 10,000 RPM (Raptor) hard drives or SAS drives?

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
Another quick question:

If a graphics card's memory is being completely utilized (let's say by a game or something), does the graphics card "dip into" the rest of your system's resources for help? Like does it try to use your system memory as graphics memory?

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.

dealmaster posted:

It will if it's attempting to use more memory than the card physically has. At high resolutions, Crysis will easily use upwards of 500MB of graphics memory. If your card only has 512MB, where does the rest of that information go? You guessed it, main memory. When it needs that information again, it'll retrieve it from main memory. That's a major cause of sudden slowdowns in gaming, since, as fast as main memory is, it is a lot slower than the memory built into a graphics card.

Thanks, dealmaster. Also, does the graphics card steal CPU clock cyles if it's fully loaded?

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
I have a Radeon 4850 and it seems to run super loving hot. It idles at like 80°C. Should I be worried about this? Also, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 that idles at nearly 60°C. Are these numbers unusually high or this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Yeah, those are both about load temperatures for both components. I'd say reseat your heatsink on the CPU, but if both are hot I think you might want to look inside your case and see how your airflow is going. Dust? Cables in the way of fans? Fans not spinning? Fans directing air all in or all out?

Thanks. Well, my computer case IS pretty small, so that isn't helping. I blasted my computer with compressed air and reduced my idle temperatures by about 8 or 9 Celsius. I also manually jacked up the fan speed on the Radeon, so that should help too. My processor is still idling at roughly 50 Celsius though. I guess I should put another fan in there.

• Locked thread