Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've been running a computationally intensive simulation on my laptop -- a Compaq Evo with P-M at 1.6 GHz -- and it's getting really hot, reading around 77° at the CPU. Is this likely to damage it? Is there an obvious way to cool it down, other than turning down the speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Zorilla posted:

Since it's a laptop, it seems your only options are to make sure the path of airflow is dust-free. That, and if the computer has an intake fan on the bottom like so many do, try elevating that portion of the laptop to let more air in.

Lastly, and probably the least recommended idea: you could take the thing apart and reapply Arctic Silver to the CPU heatsink, but if you're like me, you'd probably just break poo poo.

Well, if that seems to be a lot hotter than expected, I might try opening the case to get out some of the dust. Without going into model specifics, is that generally a reversible operation -- i.e., one which I can do without a lot of skill and special tools?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Posted in the sticky laptops threead as well, because I realized that might be the wrong place for this:

My Compaq Evo N620C, purchased used, has a rapidly dying battery. It's gone from 3.5 hours at the beginning of the summer to 2.5 hours a month ago to 1.5 hours now. It reports this is 36% of normal capacity. :witch:

Do I have any real options here other than shelling out $140 for a replacement? I don't suppose there's any hope of resuscitation somehow...

Bonus question! I was running my computer on battery, with at least an hour left. Out of curiosity, I ran a terminal command to use 100% CPU, and Something Bad happened:

What the hell happened? Why would just running a program cause my battery to drain at an insane rate?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

SecretFire posted:

While a reduction in capacity over time in LiIon batteries is epected, that's a huge drop in such a small amount of time. Were the 3.5 hours and 1.5 hours under the same usage conditions?

Yeah, I've been really surprised at that aspect. I've only been using a power cycle a day or so, so it was strange to see it drop off that fast.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I received a set of Boston Acoustics CR57 bookshelf speakers for a holiday-themed event, which retail for about $180. I'll be plugging these into my computer for music and occasional games - currently I have the cheap sound chipset on the motherboard but I'd be willing to spend a few bucks on a better soundcard if it's likely to make a difference. Should I expect these CR57s to be significantly inferior to another model I can get for around the same price (like some monitors, which http://shsc.info/Speakerguide seems to suggest)?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This Apple I ad shows a "breadboard area" on the system board, I guess because of the hobbyist orientation of the machine. What good would this be? Could you wire chips or circuits in there and connect them to the rest of the computer, for weird hacking experiments?

Bonus question: Apparently one of the best features of the Apple I was native video support. If you had a personal computer in 1975 without video capability, what on earth could you do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

MutantBlue posted:

Personal computers in 1975 looked like the Altair 8800 and the IMSAI 8080. You connected them to a teletype and loaded programs from a paper tape reader and you liked it. God drat kids get off my lawn!

Think my guess about the breadboard area is right? I'm still trying to figure out when you'd want to use that.

• Locked thread