Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I have the 55nm GTX260 so out of curiosity I was looking at pics of it online just to see the comparison shots of it to the 65nm version and I noticed that both versions have a smaller chip that's not the GPU on the left side of the card all by itself close to the DVI ports. I then looked up pics of the 4870 Radeon card and it does not have this chip but the GeForce 200 series cards have it so out of curiosity what the hell is it? I tried google but my google-fu isn't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Spatial posted:

This? (closer)

It's the display controller. They were on 8800GTX cards as well; it handles SLI, DVI/VGA/HDMI and all that stuff.

In the ATI cards it's probably integrated into the GPU itself, since they have smaller dies and less transistors.

Yeah that's it. I thought nVidia integrated that chip into the GPU like ATI but apparently not. Thanks for the info though.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I have a GeForce 260 216 in an Antec Sonata III case and since the card is so long I don't think a 120mm fan will fit between it and the hard drive chassis (there is only like a ~1cm gap) so how do I get air intake into my case so my system runs a little cooler? Should I just turn the case fan around since my Corsair 520W PSU already sorta provides an exhaust fan?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Kind of a weird question but is it safe for my gaming/F@H PC to be near a Window Air Conditioning Unit? Cold air from the AC unit is blowing directly onto the top of the computer case so is there any risk of condensation inside the case or other issues that may arise?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Folding at home is causing the power brick on my laptop to run hot to the touch but not quite enough to burn me. Should I be concerned by this?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Has anyone with a eVGA 55nm GTX260 and a Antec Sonata III case tried to put one of those Scythe slim(12mm thick) 120mm case fans between the video card and the hard drive chassis and had it fit? I measured it and looks like it would fit but I'm not sure.

This is the fan I'm referring too; this is the 1600RPM model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185138

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 18, 2009

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Breetai posted:

Quick question from somone who knows jack about computer fans and how they work.

My case is dusty. If I blast the insides with a leaf blower, will the air forcing the fans to spin backwards at an alarming rate damage my cooling fans/graphics card?

I figured I'd ask before I tried.

I use a compressed air gun to blow out the dust in my case so I cannot see why it would be a problem. If you are blowing air directly at a fan you might want to hold the fan in place somehow with something to keep it from spinning (I use a straight piece of a coat-hanger) or with certain video card fans hold onto the center of the fan so it doesn't spin up. Also be sure to do it outside unless you want a dust cloud all over the room.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I got one of those Lancool PC-K7B cases and I plugged the two front case fans into a single 3-pin fan controller on the motherboard by connecting the two molex adapters together that are on the fans with the 3-pin so they both run at the same full speed. So two fans are using one 3-pin fan controller on the motherboard. Is this safe?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 12, 2010

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm sure this has been asked already many times, but is the best free partition resizing utility?

I want to make my OS partition bigger on my main hard drive. Is the correct thread to inquire about this or should I go elsewhere?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

What OS do you have? Vista/Win7 have partition resizing built into Disk Management

I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 but I thought only Professional had that utility.

Edit: I can "shrink" the volume but I can't expand it which is what I want to do. Do I just shrink the other partition which is my games partition then?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 24, 2010

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Well, I shrank the one volume but now it won't let me expand the other volume. Could it be because the volume I'm wanting to expand is the one that has Windows installed on it?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

First question: What are good 3-pin 120mm case fans? The ones in my Lancool PC-K7B are a little weak and I want some that move more air but don't sound like a leaf blower.

Second question: what are good 3.5" to 5.25" trays for hard drives? I want to move my two hard drives into my two open 5.25" bays so I can remove the hard drive chassis from my Lancool PC-K7B to get better air flow from the two front intake fans.

Thanks in Advance.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I want to get three new 120mm case fans for my Lancool PC-K7B case that move more air but are still quiet. I looked on silentpcreview and they recommend the Noctua(very expensive!), the Nexus fans(can't beat the price), and the Scythe S-Flex fans (moderately priced). The question is, which ones do I get? Which of these will supply more airflow and still be quiet?

I'm leaning towards the Scythe S-Flex because they have the Sony-FDB as opposed to sleeve bearings in the Nexus fans, but I don't know. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there a particular reason you need the fans? Is your GPU/CPU running hot?

The video card (superclocked GTX260 216) and Northbridge (Intel P35) run a bit warm when I'm gaming. I tried putting a fan on the northbridge heatsink but that actually made it run hotter. The CPU is running fine, I know to get a better cooler for it if it's running too hot. Nothing is overheating or crashing I would just like to get better airflow in my system without it sounding like a leaf blower. The stock fans that came with the case are quiet but not silent and they don't move much air. Maybe I should save up for an Antec P183 if I want a quieter case?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 23, 2010

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

If your GPU isn't getting over 70/75C or so, there is no reason to get any more fans. Yes, when you're gaming, poo poo's going to get warm. If you're looking for silence, save up for a better case.

Now if your GPU is getting over 80C or so on a regular basis (Not just peaking, but hitting over that for long periods), then you might look at more fans. Speaking of which, do you have any case fans right now?

My GPU gets to between 75 and 80 degrees Celsius under load but I have never seen it go over 80 and it only peaks at 80C on the rare occasion like playing Crysis. But its a factory overclocked card with the stock/reference cooler so its going to run a little hotter.

As for how many case fans I have, I have the ones that came with the Lancool PC-K7B. Two intake fans in the front and one exhaust fan in the back, all 120mm. My Corsair PSU has a 120mm exhaust fan as well but that doesn't count as a case fan. They are only 1000RPM and they don't seem to move much air. I also removed the metal grill on the rear exhaust fan and the ineffective filters on the two front intake fans and that improved airflow slightly and reduced the noise a little bit. I'm not looking for absolute silence because that would be impossible just low noise.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

So, are you increasing airflow for less noise? You have no reason to buy fans in your current set up, which is simply going to add more noise to it. If you want silence, go get the P183.

I may get a P183 if they go on sale or if someone sells them already for $100 or less.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I have an 8800GT 512MB sitting in its box collecting dust because I already upgraded to a GTX260 over a year ago. Should I hold onto it or try to sell it? And how much should I sell it for? I was thinking 50 bucks but that seems a bit much for a 3 year old video card.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I got my MSI HAWK GTX 460 today and while its an excellent card, the fans rev up really loud when gaming even though the card isn't getting that hot. Do I just install afterburner and manually throttle the fan or is that a bad idea?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

mindphlux posted:

No shouldn't hurt. just install CPUID and let it monitor while you play games for 30 mins. adjust throttling, and watch your temperatures

I throttled it as low as it will go which is 40 percent and 30 minutes of Heaven benchmark yields ~65C under load. Is that acceptable for a GTX 460?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

One last question about my GTX 460. The video memory chips are naked but I guess the fans on the cooler blow through the heatsink and onto the memory chips. Could the reason why the fans rev up is that the memory chips need that extra airflow across them to keep them cool while under load? Thanks for the replies so far by the way.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I have two questions:

My first question is why do my new case fans (3 Scythe Slipstream 120mm 1200RPM fans) rev up more (up to 1500RPM!) when I try to put on the fan filters that came with my Lancool PC-K7B? I have the fans plugged into my motherboard which is an MSI P67A-G45 with an i5-2500K CPU.

My second question is that I have an 8800GT video card in my old E8400 system and I was thinking about installing in the second PCI-E x16 slot on my MSI P67A-G45 motherboard and use it as a dedicated PhysX GPU and use my GTX 460 as my primary GPU. My PSU is a Corsair 650HX so would that handle a GTX460, 8800GT, i5-2500K@4.3GHz, three 120mm case fans, and two hard drives? Or would I need a beefier power supply?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I asked this question a page or two ago but I didn't get an answer. I have a MSI P67A-G45 motherboard with a i5-2500K@4.3GHz and a factory overclocked GTX460 with two hard drives on a Corsair 650HX 650W PSU. I want to put my old 8800GT on the second PCI-E x16 slot on the motherboard to use as a dedicated PhysX GPU. My question is that would my setup specifically my PSU be able to handle it? And is a 8800GT even strong enough to be a dedicated PhysX GPU?

edit: I googled and I get conflicting info.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 9, 2011

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

What kind of case pressure provides the most efficient cooling? I have a Lancool PC-K7B with two intake fans and one exhaust fan all of them the same type of fan which would be Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM fans at ~800RPM or 50 percent in the bios although the two front fans are running off the same header on the motherboard using a 3-pin Y adapter. So what kind of case pressure is best for case cooling for my setup? Positive, negative, or equal pressure?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer case to one that mounts the PSU on the bottom of the case but would it still be safe to set the case on the carpet like I do now?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

My MSI HAWK GTX460 burned out...literally. I was having bluescreens while running games so I decided to run Heaven Benchmark while checking temps and there was a flash then a puff of smoke and there is a burn/scorch mark on the back of the video card. I put an old video card in the system to make sure there was nothing wrong with the rest of the system and it boots into Windows okay but I haven't run any games or put a load on it. So does that mean only the video card burned out? I don't need to worry about the rest of the system do I? :ohdear:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Rexxed posted:

There's no guarantees, having one component die due to an electrical fault can kill others. However, I have seen video cards die and the system continue on with a replacement. You may even be within the warranty period for an RMA on the card itself. If the system is working alright with a replacement card you might be lucky!

The card should still have a warranty because I got just over a year ago and I think it has a two year warranty. When I had the system running earlier, it installed the driver for the old video card and had to reboot and did so without issue so that's promising. I have the system turned off and unplugged for right now but later I'll run memtest and Prime95 on it and watch it like a hawk. I just rebuilt the system last year so the components should still have a warranty I would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Well my main system has so far survived the meltdown of my GTX460. The problem is the 8800GT I put in there is semi-broken because it only flakes when I try to run a game on it. I submitted a RMA request to MSI so is MSI's customer service decent or am I going to waiting a while for a replacement card?

• Locked thread