Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Blue Sky
Jun 17, 2005

I have this 6600GT; can I use two monitors with it at the same time (using both the analog and DVI ports)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Blue Sky
Jun 17, 2005

DeeBye posted:

It looks like it supports dual monitors, and if this is so you should have no problems. I have an old AGP Radeon 9200SE running a dual monitor setup using the VGA and DVI outputs separately and the configuration looks exactly the same. The primary monitor is plugged into the VGA output and the secondary monitor is plugged into the DVI output using a DVI>VGA adapter that came with the card.
You were correct; thanks.

However running a CRT and an LCD next to each other (with the CRT at 75Hz, eugh) at different heights on my desk was really gross so I opted to use only the LCD. At least the text is much clearer.

Mr. Blue Sky
Jun 17, 2005

Kaluza-Klein posted:

My friend has a Dell laptop that they dropped while it was on. When they picked it up it was completely locked up. They reset it, and upon rebooting Windows complained of some missing files (a blue screen I assume, I haven't had a chance to see it myself).

THe quick and dirty answer is to just :pt:, but how do I know the hard disk itself isn't damaged? Maybe a scratched platter? That could happen, right?

Is running chkdsk enough to confirm if the disk is physically damaged or not? If not, is there a program that can? Can chkdsk be run from the Windows recovery console?
The same thing happened to me once and it resulted in a scratched platter. Tell them to back up everything they want to keep as quickly as possible (use a LiveCD to copy stuff off or put the laptop's HDD in another computer) and buy a new drive.

• Locked thread