Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
injate
Jan 29, 2006

I'm really bad at trying to act high and mighty, let alone be high and mighty.
I just got an AMD X2 4200+ and installed it along with this ZALMAN (CNPS7000b) I've had sitting around for a while using arctic silver 5. I only aplied like half a pea drop of goo right in the center of the CPU and didn't really spread it much (other than when trying to situate the Sink), I just left the smushing of the heatsink against the CPU to do that. I'm sure the Zalman is secured and I closed the case completely and put in the Overhang duct thing Sonata IIs have. Only the one stock 120mm fan in the back of my sontata 2 as well. I kind of wanted to do some overclocking.

My temp is idling around 50-51C now (89F/32C In room), Couldn't I get a little better? I'm thinking maybe I should apply the thermal goo again but spread it around better this time.

Sadly, didn't check what my old processor's temp (3200+) was with stock heat sink, so no comparison.

injate fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 4, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

injate
Jan 29, 2006

j4cbo posted:

That's definitely hotter than it should be at idle... what speed are you running the fan at?

I'd take of the heatsink and check how well the goop has distributed itself over the heatspreader.
Speed fan says 2800 RPMs (100%). I got the temp backwards btw, 89 in room not 98. Case temp is 32..maybe it's a little cooler in here than what I read, case temp should be higher than the outside room.

I didn't plug in that speed dial plug which comes with the ZALMAN because I have too many wires in there as is and the the length of it is just outrageous (ment to be wired outside the case?...I'll pass). I assumed it would go full speed without it.

vv Ok I guess I'll tear it apart again. Hopefully the goo isn't crusty yet and I
can just wipe it off. Thanks

Update: Jumped to conclusions too early, made a new reply with update/question about fans.

injate fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 4, 2006

injate
Jan 29, 2006

Bleusilences posted:

I want to buy an Amd 64x2 4400+ should I go with am2 or 939. IMO the AM2 doesnt seem too hot and required a amd 64-fx to see a real difference and I don't have the money for ddr2 800 mhz

Source tom's hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/23/amd_reinvents_itself/
Then you should go with the reduced price 939 X2s. I got my 4200+ for $188 but it's supposed to be $175, maybe it will be in a few weeks. I didn't feel like waiting to save 13 bucks. You can use your 184 pin ram from your old system if you go 939, it's plenty fast for me. AM2 is bleeding edge, the DDR2 will carry over to the next gen sockets but it is price gouged right now since it's still fairly new.

Anyway about my computer temps, My room has cooled down alot (30C) and my CPU temp with the side of the case off is now 44/45. Also I realized the 50C before was actually a 50% CPU temp (F@H Protein folding on one core). I've disabled that on startup for the time being...maybe forever. OCing should take enough life off of this CPU.

I need to replace my stock 120mm exhaust fan and get an intake on my Sonata II. I did some quick searching and found these really quiet thermaltakes with a solid air movement rating to probably be the best performance for a low noise fan. What is the consensus on thermaltake fans? I'm pretty much settled on this one, I just want to see if anyone has a better suggestions or a really good reason not to get a pair of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811999151
RPM 2000+-10% RPM
Air Flow 78CFM
Noise Level 21dBA
$8.99

Hopefully with the fans I'll maintain low 40s, maybe even high 30s when it's cool. Are those temps. ideal enough bases to overclock with?

Oh yeah, and to anyone out there with experience cooling Sonata IIs, Does the CPU duct really help? It still fits in with my zalman (pretty drat well). I'll just have to experiment my self if no one knows...it's just such a pain to put in/take out, even after you learn the trick to it.

injate fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 4, 2006

injate
Jan 29, 2006

I'm new to wireless networking but I'm about to learn, fast. I saw my router/firewall netgear model FR114W has a PCMCIA slot for wireless readyness. Good, I don't need a new router...wait a second I just checked my manual and this model can only get 11Mbps under 100 feet :cry: screw that. GDI I need a new router, I want at least 45MBPS...hell I might as well go all out and get 100Mbps+.

Is anyone going to recommend I don't get this...? D-Link DI-634M IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless 108G MIMO Router, based off reviews it sounds like it's great for a newb like me.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127173

I don't have a laptop, just a PC all the way across the house which needs a wireless ethernet card. I suppose I should get a DLink as well to match the router.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127167
D-Link DWL-G550 PCI High-Powered Wireless Desktop Adapter - Retail
That has a matching 802.11b/g standard...So I assume that's all I need. Any advice or warnings?

I was going to ask what sort of PCMCIA card I needed since I see there's Notebook Adapters, PC Cards, and Ethernet Adapters on newegg. The manual says PC but I'd have guessed Ethernet, what's the difference?

injate
Jan 29, 2006

I know. I was just curious because that's why I originally was coming to post but I quickly realised mid-post that I'd be better off buying a PCI/New Router. But I was still curious about the PCMCIA which I had looked into at first. I just found out my dad is looking into buying a laptop, Looks like I'll probably need a notebook PCMCIA too.

I also just found about the IEEE 802.11n models...but I don't think they're worth it, we don't need bleeding edge speeds. I heard that D-Link's 108mbps technology is proprietary but am not that concerned. It's a nice middle ground between 54 & 300.

on second thought, I'll spring for the .11n netgear router, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122100

I can always upgrade from a .11g to .11n adapater later.

injate fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 28, 2006

• Locked thread