Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, I just acquired an i7-2600k, and with it came a nifty Corsair watercooler. Is there any reason to NOT overclock it? About the only thing I'll be using it for other than normal gaming and whatnot is I'm going to be setting up a few VMs on the machine.

I've run my 2600k with a Corsair H100 at 4.6 GHz rock solid stable for almost two years now. I suspect it could go to 4.8 or even 5.0 if I got better RAM and figured out which one of the chips on my mobo is the difficult bastard that runs at 63 C instead of 36-40 C like every other temp sensor.

Does anyone happen to know which sensor is where on an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

cisco privilege posted:

Alereon's probably right on this. Try a different temperature monitoring program (ASUS' motherboard utility, HWiNFO, HWMonitor, etc) or just ignore the odd higher figure, especially if it's stuck at 63C without changing as that would indicate a bogus sensor readout. At most it's probably a VRM sensor in which case 63C would be completely fine.

HW Monitor was the one giving me that 63C reading. :shrug:

• Locked thread