Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
How come the abyss doesn't gaze also into me ?
If it has 2 modules by default then it suggests it does support dual chan, plus this Says it has dual channel also, so im willing to accept that. So basically you want a 2x1GB Dual Chan kit.

In regards to latencies it gets a bit confusing but in DDR2 basically you'll either see CAS 4-4-4-12 or CAS 5-5-5-15 (note sometimes they just show the first digit, eg CAS4 CAS5) I cant be bothered to explain what all the numbers are if you're interested wikipedia it, but basically the gist is lower = better. However! P4s get notoriously little benefit from low latency ram unlike their AMD brethren plus the fact with DDR2 ram makers have really shyed away from making really low latency ram like we had in the DDR days, i guess technical difficulties i dont know (I miss CAS 2-3-2-6 :( ).

All in all i'd just go for the cheaper CAS 5-5-5-15.

Kaso fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
You really dont want to put it between the heatspreader and headsink, that'll kill the efficiency of the headsink.

Back in the day before heatspreaders you'd try and arrange the sensor to touch the side of the die. The best bet would either be touching the side of the heatspreader, or touching the underneath of the cpu if you can manage that without causing issues with pins/contacts.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Usually i'd just be a problem for itself if the power supply over-heats, but then again, it's a bit umprecticable, a dying PSU could send a surge or anything, who knows.

If you have access to a dremel cutting fan holes is only 30-60min work then buy a cheap $3 grill to go over the hole.

Heres a couple holes i cut in my case;

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006

Bronze posted:

my athlon 2700+ cpu clock keeps getting reset to 1500+ every time i restart.

Im not entirely sure of this, those voltages dont look sillyly high, i had my athlon xp much higher, to me the two suspects on resetting bioses are 1) Miss-set Jumper 2) Dead/Dying BIOS battery. Though this doesnt quite fit with the powering down via PSU = working ok behavour, so im not 100%, but worth a check.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006

dividertabs posted:

I have a simple home network of a desktop, laptop, and wireless router. If the laptop is connected to the router both wirelessly and by Ethernet cable, and I use Windows file sharing to transfer a large file, how will it decide which connection to use?
Basically it uses automatically generated metrics based on the speed of the link, you can also assign manual metrics to different interfaces if you wish to override.

This article details it all

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299540

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
According to this Western digital's MTBF testing is done at 55°C so you running at that temp wont degrade their lifetime, however they do go onto say quote "Our customers operate their drive (perhaps) [at 25°C]" which I find a little generous.

Kaso fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 7, 2008

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006

Toiletbrush posted:

What's the practical performance difference (in percent) between DIMMs that have 2.5-3-3-8 and 3-4-4-8 timings?

Also, does Corsair manufacture RAM modules for other brands? I've looted two 1GB sticks from my dads computer (the 3-4-4-8 ones), branded G.Skill (cheap crap when I bought them for him), compared them to my current Corsair ones (the other timings) and the PCB is exactly the same, down to the etched markings and labels.

I presume with those timing we're talking DDR, not DDR2, basically if you have a P4 you wont see huge amounts of extra speed from the faster timings, (you will see some though). If you had an AthlonXP/64 you'll see a fair bit of performance from the faster timings, however the more modern AMD cpus don't gain quite so much. I cant really give percentages for this, it depends on what CPU you have, and which applications you're running really.

About the similarities of the modules, there are only a small handful of companies that actually make ram chips, so theres nothing unexpected in seeing chips identically stamped on many companies ram. The reason that the corsair chips are clocked higher than the G.Skill ones is that when manufacturing low-latency ram, what they'll do is check all the chips, put the ones that came out best on the low latency modules, and the slightly more defective ones onto the slower modules.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006

Toiletbrush posted:

If I were to adjust the timings manually to the faster ones, run memtest86 or something without errors for a hour or a couple, I guess I can keep using them with the faster timings, right?
Yah should be fine.

Toiletbrush posted:

ECC, buffered and registered?

Registered is the same as Buffered. Registered RAM basically has extra hardware built onto the module to allow the memory controller to offload some work to the chips, and allow the controller to handle more RAM.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Im not sure which type of RAM you're after but ECC Unbuffered DDR2 is fairly common; Newegg for instance.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Fixing the fan in the stock cooler will probably be more complex than it sounds, they usually use a propitiatory fan and fitting mechanism, which certainly seems to be the case of the quick google image i found of the 7300 stock cooler.

The easier way would be to replace the whole cooler arrangement, i know Arctic Cooling, Zalman and maybe Thermaltake will do replacement coolers that'll fit on a 7300, most of them are passive.

Fake Edit: Googled quickly and got these options that'll fit a 7300

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=125
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=147
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?Idx=283

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Yah, they are a little overkill, the default cooler looks like this: http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/3092-1.jpg

However the problem is trying to get a like for like replacement part is going to be really hard, and the only other option are aftermarket coolers, which ofc are only usually bought by people with high end cards they want to overclock, so they tend to be rather, chunky.

There could be some more suitable replacements, but off the top of my head i cant think of any other manufacturers who do VGA coolers.

Edit: And even though they look fairly overkill, they aren't really that expensive, they're like £15 in the UK

Kaso fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 3, 2008

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

LCD monitors black level.

LCD monitors resolution upscaling.

Well, firstly the contrast ratios of LCDs are getting much better due to something called dynamic contrast, back a few years 400:1 was generally the best you could find now you'll regually see 1000,2000:1 ratios but they're sorta cheating. Dynamic contrast means basically if the screen is showing something dark, it can tune down the power to the backlight so that it appears darker, but the issue with that is if you have to display an image which is light and dark at the same time, it cant be utilised to full extent.

Conclusion, it's better now, still sometimes falls short of CRTs, but i'd be worth going to your local BestBuy or whatever and looking at all the screens to see for yourself.

Next Upscaling, This will always be somewhat of an issue for LCDs. This arises from the differences of how the two types of monitors display images. You prob know but i'll quickly go over it, a CRT has electron guns at the back of it which fire beams of electrons, which are then deflected by magnets to hit the correct part of the screen, which then has a coating which creates light when hit by an electron. This means it can scale an image gracefully as a pixel can be 1mm, or 10mm just by deflecting the beams onto a wider area of the screen coating.(ok this is an over-simplification, but run with me) LCDs are made from several layers, the furthest back layer is a backlight which creates the light you see, ontop of this is a liquid crystal grid which does polarization of the light and ontop of that is a grid of the red,green,blue sub-pixels. The polarization layer selectively blocks of unblocks light to the certain sub-pixels to create the image. Now the problem with scaling LCD images is you cant increase the size of the pixels like you can with a CRT, but instead you have to span one image pixel, over several display pixels, which is where the difficulties come in.

Conclusion, upscaling will always be an issue with LCDs, but why are you upscaling anything? Get a decent graphics card and run at native.
I hope that made some sense.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Its not nearly as relevant as other statistics. You're correct that it refers to the size of the transistors, how it effects you is basically the smaller the process, the less resistance each transistor has, and thusly the cpu uses less power and produces less heat.

Smaller is better, but really its the last thing you need to consider.

The duel/quad core is a bit subjective, some file compression software has full on SMP support, i know 7zip does when compressing 7z files, but its still a bit patchy for other software. Only a handful of games have proper SMP support currently, i know supreme commander does, but its rare.

Personally i went for a quad core when i upgraded recently, i think we're going to see more and more SMP as days go on.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Sounds like it's fomatted in FAT, its max allowable filesize is 4gb convert it to NTFS.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006

SpartanIV posted:

My friend is assembling a new computer with my help, and in the hour or so I wasn't here, he decided he wanted to try to turn it on, so he hooked up his old Dells proprietary power supply to the MSI motherboard he has, and tried to turn it on.

Did he just damage/fry his new motherboard?

Well what happened? did it fail to turn on? turn on then turn off, did it let the magic blue smoke?

I wasn't aware of dell using a proprietary power supply pin setup, it seems odd that they would, which'd make me think if the plug fits then it should work, and if it didn't work it's prob because the power supply isn't powerful enough to power whatever components you have. Or was it just the motherboard on its own? in that case turning it on will make it beep angrily at you but thats about it

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
^ Wow, that is the most retarded thing i've ever heard. I cant think of a sensible reason for using a standard connector with non-standard pin arrangement.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Unless you can find one on ebay or something, if dell wont sell you one you're stuck.

However most monitors comply with VESA Flat screen mounting standard (which is basically four screw holds in a 100mm square on the back), with that you can by any of a bunch of custom stands, mostly these stands are wall-mounted arms, but there are some places that do free-standing vesa mounts, try googling around for that.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Questions:
1) What do I need: router, switch, ap etc?
You need a switch, then you link the switch you bought to the switch on the router (eg one of thr four "PC ports") with a crossover cable.

2) I may stream video, can/should I use cat6?
If you are streaming video from your PC and want to use cat6 then this requires that your; PC, Router and new switch support Gigabit ethernet, if this is the case then go for cat6. If your streaming video off the internet then gigabit wont really help, or if you just dont have gigabit hardware then cat6 is not needed.

3) Will this be a problem playing games on Wii or Xbox Live or DirecTV on demand?
This should not be a problem, they'll act just like their plugged into the router directly, i assume you have a LAN adapter for your Wii?

4) Can I go buy 100' of catX at monoprice.com and cut it to the length I need and attach new connectors on it?
You can indeed go and buy a chunk of cat5/6 and crimp it yourself you'll have to buy connectors and you'll need to get your hands on a crimp tool, they're usually about :20bux: :10bux: to buy or you might be able to borrow one.

Here(note this guy has a wierd looking crimper, most dont look like that) is a rough photo guide how to crimp cables, you need to make a crossover cable for linking your switch up, but straight through cables to link your devices to your switch.

This is the pin layouts a crossover cable has T568A on one end and T568B one the other end, whereas a straight through cable has both ends the same, it doesn't really matter which of A/B they use as long as both are same.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006

Killbox posted:

What is the normal/standard temp on a 8800 gtx graf. card and a Q6600 prosessor(not clocked, and when pc is on idle mode)?

I have a 8800GT and a Q6600, so nearly, my CPU running just firefox is at 28°C, with a 24°C case temp (its cold here plus I have good ventilation in my case). My 8800gt runs at 52°C in the same situation.

Fake Edit: CPU runs at 36°C under load for 10min, and GPU at 61°C

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
The number of channels the card will use depends on how many of its connectors are attached. A 8x card in a 16x channel will use 8, you can even take a 16x card, tape off most of the connectors and have it run at 1x

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Home routers aren't really hardware firewalls, not in the true sense the problem you are having is with the NAT function of your router. This allows your multiple devices to all use the same external IP address which is provided by your ISP. Th reason these can't just go straight through without blocking ports is that to the external world you're only 1 device, assume you wanted to run two http servers on your devices, both run on port 80, when your router receives a connection packet on 80 who should it forward it to? It cant know without forwarding rules.

Now there are solutions where you can get away without the NAT, some ISPs will offer multiple IPs at an additional charge, then (if you have a good router) you can turn off NAT and just allow each PC to get assigned an external IP. Most home routers don't support this though, but a simple dsl modem connected to a switch will allow you do that (assuming your isp is set up to provide multiple IPs to your connection)

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
32bit windows XP only support 2GB per process without the 3GB switch

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006

TheGreenBandit posted:

I have a motherboard with only one PCI-Express x1 slot (MSI p6n-SLI) but with 2 PCI-Express x16 slots for SLI. Would I be able to put a PCI-E network card into the second x16 slot and have it work (I don't care about running graphics at x8) or will the second slot only work for SLI based graphics?

Well, the answer to this should be "yes, it'll work fine" it's possible to hack a 16x device down to 1 lane and have it work fine. However i seem to recall certain older motherboards supporting SLI like those with the physical 1card,2card switcher board thing don't like you using the second slot in a non-SLI configuration. I'm not 100% on that but i seem to recall reading about it, i think the problem comes from SLI's bios based setup. Modern SLI boards have options whether or not to link them in the bios. And Crossfire/Intel chipset based boards dont have the problem at all because crossfire is a completely driver based standard.

Edit: Doing some quick research i have found a couple reviews mentioning that the second PCI-E 8x/16x slot is only available for SLI, but i cant find a pdf of the manual to confirm this. Check your motherboard manual see what it says.

Kaso fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 5, 2008

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

How do you know if you have a broken heatpipe on your heatsink?

Would it effect temperatures a lot, or a little?

I've never heard of anyone having a broken heatpipe, but i imagen if it was one of those heatsinks that only have a tiny heatblock actually attached to the CPU then pipes upto the fins then a broken heatpipe would effect temps alot.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
We're had this question a few times recently.

You prob can plug your graphics card into another 16x slot if the bios is good ( i assume it is )

But you could also put the 1x card in a 16x slot if you want.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006

swookmeister posted:

I've got a question about recovering data from my brother's RAID array.

You're pretty much screwed. Onboard raid controllers aren't "real" hardware raid controllers but what's commonly known as soft raid devices, most of the raiding is done in drivers and the arrangement of striping is stored within the device rather than on a meta data sector on the disks. What that all means is that unless you have exactly the same controller, you're not going to get that data back.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Well hard drives are usually exposed to a fair degree of vibration from fans/etc inside the PC case hell even the hard drives themselves create a fair amount of vibration, to be honest i don't think the degree of vibrations you're gonna get is going to hurt too much.

If you're concerned though placing them both on foam will help, additionally you can by rubber grommets that go between the hard drive and the mounting screws attaching it to the case to also cut down on vibrations, these are usually used to stop vibrations from the hard drive from vibrating the case and making noise but they'd work inversely

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
You'll be looking at 500w power supply minimum, but really the quality of the power supply is more important than the number slapped on the side.

With a 8800 and a Q6600 you're going to be wanting at least 28A from the 12v rail prob more like 30 to be safe and sound.

Something like an Antec NeoPower 500, that has three 12v rails all running at 17A plus it has modular cables so you can set it up exactly how you need it and not have a mess of unused cables.

Its really worth going overkill on the PSU and spending a bit of cash, poor PSUs are the downfall of many a PC.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Do you have a microATX/Small Form Factor type PC? What you're describing sounds like a Low Profile slot. Many graphics card manufacturers sell Low Profile kits with new backpanes you can swap out. One for example However if your card is a proper dual DVI high end card, you might not be able to do that and you'll be stuck doing a little bit of home-pc modding.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006

LooKMaN posted:

What's the difference between a router and a switch? Local fibre optic ISP here gives Cisco switches for customers to use, but i always thought only routers would work for internet connection, so whats the deal?

Ok, well on an abstract level the difference between switches and routers is the network level they work on. Switches work on physical layer (MACs, ethernet, etc) so extend the actual network, all hosts connected to each other via switches can broadcast to each other.

Routers on the other hand are ways of connecting two networks together at the higher network layer (IP layer basically) two hosts connected via a router can transmit to each-other via the supported protocol (ie IP) but cant do anything under that, like broadcast). They are considered two conjoined networks rather than one big network as they would be with switches.

Now what this means to you is slightly different, most consumer "routers" basically have router functionality as well as NAT (Network Address Translation) which means basically the entire network behind the router appears as one single IP to the rest of the world. If the ISP are giving you switches it means that each computer connected to it will be requesting a separate globally-addressable IP from the ISP. ISPs often charge for each IP supplies so perhaps you want some NAT functionality to prevent multiple IPs being used.

I don't really know, ive no experience with fibre internet, but a least there's ^ some info

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Maplins in the UK are always good for small quantities of electrical parts. They do Cat 6 cut cable in 1m segments and connectors for low price. If you could find someone to borrow a crimp tool from it'd be best. But you can get one for 20quid and it really is a good investment. Then with a little bit of practice you can manufacture you own.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Monitor cables are very high bandwidth cables, thus quite delicate about the length. You usually cant find dvi cables over like 5m which i believe is where resolution degradation kicks in. However if you're using VGA due to its analogueness can usually get cheap cables upto 15m which more than enough for you.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
You probally need to format and or partition the disk using windows Disk Management tool.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
HP have a Part Replacement Guide on their website but its not much use, mainly focuses on cdrom/hdd/psu. From the guide though it looks like i'd be a microATX motherboard, the ram should be upgradable as long as the motherboard supports the size/speed of modules you want to put in. The motherboard *might* be upgradable but hp do tend to like their proprietary poo poo, its very possible it might not either. Its really hard to say without having a poke about inside the case.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Mousemats are a hard one because its so subjective. I swear by hard-pads like my icemat (now Steelseries) whereas my friends will tell you a large soft pad like the everglide stuff is better.

Personally i really don't think there is alot of difference between mats of the same type (hard/soft) and once you pick what type you want its pretty much just pot luck.

If you've got the space though bigger definately is better the things like the razer goliathus or steelseries SX are massive.

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
"snow" is often a sign of bad video memory. But its hard to say, its not a hard and fast rule. Does it show up on screenshots? How hot is your card running?

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
you can remove the D partition leaving that as empty space then expand the C partition into the empty space. If you are using vista expanding partitions is easy, there is a partition resizing tool in the Vista Disk Management utility See here. If you are using XP then you'll either need a third party utility like PartitionMagic or the easier (and freer) way is to grab a GParted (or other linux with ntfsresize if you're feeling hardcore) liveCD and use that to expand your partition as shown here

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
XP Disk management will only let you delete and create partitions, to expand a partition into empty space you will need vista or third party

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Sure, chaining switches is perfectly fine. If it isn't a gigabit switch you'll have to use a cross-over cable for the interconnect though.

Edit: ^^ I doubt there'd be any noticable reduction in speed.

Kaso fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
Im no battery expert, but as far as i understand most modern batteries are best kept topped up. And not allowed to fully charge cycle.

However the problem is the single greatest thing that kills batteries is heat, so using them plugged in isnt an issue of the power just the insane temperatures laptops can get to when sat on a desk. The advice i've heard is its best to remove your battery whenever possible (eg running on power) to save it from the heat.

• Locked thread