Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Revenant.Eagle posted:

You should be ready to outrun those crazy hot college girls that are undoubtedly chasing you since you just got out of the gym. :smug:

Only if you try to outrun the cops after! Shirtless none the less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Anyone have a link to the biker stopped at a redlight beside a few other bikers when he accidently either goes into gear or something and drops the bike?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'm a tard I spent 30 mins looking for that

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
So far I've only had one wheelie with the R1. I did it for several years with dirt bikes and such. However on the R1 it was not intentional. I just decided to find the rev limiter and I happened to lift the front wheel in the process...

Fake edit: As a disclaimer, I do have some area's around here that are fairly safe to practice/experiment in.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Ok I have teased enough here is some video of the new bike. You can see my sad excuse for a headlight (don't worry day driving only until I get the original set back up) As well as some of the body damage to the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ8G8W0s3gg

Just as an FYI the bike was warmed up previous to this.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'm browsing daily for a DRZ and I came across this gem today...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Lol how would you even think that?

UCSB student....

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

niethan posted:

I bet he added a pipe to it, that would add an extra 150 horsepower right?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Youtube now with Ghost vison!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Deeters posted:

Hey man, real bikers don't listen to that silly rap stuff. :911:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU

Goon Lyrical enhancement:
I hope you layer Dan soft.....

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhQcAGSwl34
I puckered a little bit.

I still can't decide on if I like being the first one at a light or not.

Eeeeeek!

Did you have to change your shorts after that?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Let us revisit this classic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVExD-Fz688

That video is loving insane. Some of it is very :frogc00l: and the rest is pretty :psyboom:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

The guy on the front fender smokin' a cig is the best.

Until he falls off and it almost runs over his junk....

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ola posted:

It so does! Although I dig those names hard, my multinational industrial conglomerate is going to have a cute name. Ola's Lovely Metally Objects For Trains & Such

Containers look like |OLMOFT&S|

Middle O is a subtle :haw:

I would buy your products Ola...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ziploc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxuP_hL7Q5Y

Nice video. What kinda GPS is that? Doesn't look to expensive, looks very basic and rugged, throw in your pack type thing.

You can also check out the 76CX and CS, they are pretty nice and they are a good bit cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-76Cx-Handheld-GPS/dp/B000CSP000/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329531501&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Handheld-Barometric-Altimeter-Electronic/dp/B000CSQRYS/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ziploc posted:

Are these GPS things city friendly? I doubt I'll need that much trail guidance.

the 76CX does work with the city maps but doesn't do turn by turn. The 60CX will do turn by turn.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

opengl128 posted:

Especially lopsided poorly-Photoshopped boobs

Her cup runneth over...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

clutchpuck posted:

The one thing everybody here seems to be missing is that this bike is not for riding. It's for unloading from a trailer at shows and rallies.

Pffft, I hate bikes like that. I buy them to ride, I can't understand people who buy them for any other reason. I chatted with my neighbor the other day, he has one of the big Harley cruisers fully farkled out. He trailers it to events like Sturgis, it see's about 100 miles a year maximum. He used to ride a Kawi but his wife apparently nixed that at some point. In compromise he has a garage queen to show off and take to shows. If I ever get to that point, would you guys end it for me?

Now for Content I took the DRZ out a good bit this weekend on some fun local roads. I figured I would share some pics. I may make a thread in a few months, I'll be doing a lot of exploring every weekend and taking pictures.

My starting point is Old Creek Rd. off of Highway 1 just between Morro Bay and Cayucos. It's an awesome road with a few back to back switchbacks. It's also where I wrecked my R1, but it's way to much fun to be scared of. This is a reservoir and you can go fishing for landlocked Steelhead in the lake.

This is Santa Rosa Creek, it runs all the way into Cambria. It's a fairly rough road, and dangerously small with two way traffic in places. I'll be releasing a gps track with warning zones at some point. Low sportbikes won't fare well here at all.

I can't remember what the name of this road is. It dead ends into a mining road and I won't go into details but fun stuff and men with shotguns can be found there.

I put about 200 miles on the bike this weekend. Can anyone point me to a decent primer on chain care and maintenance? I blew it on the Honda and I don't want to do that again.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I will also add... do not try to clean the chain with the bike in gear and spinning... this leads to stupidity like this guy.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?p=1186619 Horrible amputed finger picture in that thread at the top, you have been warned

or even worse.. THIS GUY!!

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261

Seriously those threads will ruin you and make you scared of chains... if you are stupid enough to try to clean your chin witht he bike running.

Thanks for the warning, I'd never do that because it seems like common sense. I just pick the back wheel up and spin it freely in Neutral.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Aargh posted:

Did i just see a cafe'd 690 SMC?

I completely missed that it was a 690, holy poo poo... I hate people that do things.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That's not a 690. Also, Roland Sands :allears:

Oh thank god. There don't seem to be any 690's out there really, so thinking one was turned into that made me sad.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
When I was younger we over-inflated a dirt bike tire and shot it with a .308. It was cool, the rim actually survived.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Schlieren posted:

Z3n already answered it, but it's a "Get-Back" Whip

I want a red and black one for the DRZ...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Aargh posted:

Unfortunately thats a side effect of the professionalism thats now infected every sport. The riders are too highly paid and therefor too much of risk for their team managers, sponsors, and insurers to let them do any cool stuff these days.

Sports were better when "Men were men". I'm sick of the safety conscious over bearing regulations placed on every sport. Natural selection is almost non-existant now, just look @ mootmoot, how the hell did he make it to adulthood? That poo poo is dangerous for a reason and while I don't mind safety advancements in materials etc. I hate when they start closing courses or banning plays/passes for "safety". I grew up racing dirt circle track and like the saying goes, "Rubbin's Racin!"

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Shimrod posted:

Christ those things are sexy.

If she can ride that I think I want to marry her.

I just wanna tailgate her on the slab for like 50 miles...:awesome:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Marv Hushman posted:

Since we were on the topic of UJM surgery. I'm crying on the inside and thinking of ways to put this out of its misery. A CIA Hellfire missile maybe?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/2870577228.html

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

clutchpuck posted:

I always figured they keep it on the pipe all the time and clutch for power to the wheel. Though I'd be curious to know the real answer :)

When I raced MX it was all about staying in your powerband. Shifts were fast and nasty usually I didn't even drop the throttle when I clutched in. It was pretty much pin it to win it, a lot of the guys I raced with used quickturn or 1/4 turn throttles and were pinning it 90% of the time.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I took a trip today up near my favorite campground. I still don't have dirt wheels and it was kind of sketchy, there were a bunch of good sized rocks. I probably did 20-25 mi. offroad total. Aterward I stopped by the Pozo Saloon and found out Social Distortion will be playing there in a few months and they still had tickets. I picked some tickets for the show for my wife and I.

Right before this shot I gently set the DRZ on it's side for a quick rest while cracking the mirror casing slightly. It was my only mishap of the day and I'm ok with that.
Pics!

I found a trail to little grassy meadow that I'd never noticed in my truck. I took the time to go explore it and grab a smoke.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Deeters posted:

I think Layer Dan is in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGIn34y24cE

Mootmoot is in that video, guess which one.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Resource posted:

Just curious because I have thought about it myself before, and would like to try to include motorcycles in some future video game project.

Have you seen any motorcycle games that do it right or had game mechanics that you thought were well done? What do you think are the most important parts of the motorcycle experience for a video game to focus on or get right?

I've always thought motorcycle combat in games should work like this:

Pull up beside guy on his right side
Reach over
Squeeze enemies front brake as hard as you can
Enemy endo's.

Pull up beside rider on his left
Reach for clutch
Kick at shifter
Enemy's engine blows up

There's lot of "no-no's" on bikes, I would love to see those used in games. Aiming for his chain, grabbing his bars and causing him to wreck etc.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Linedance posted:

people here daily ride DRZ400's and that's a pretty unforgiving seat imo

Amen there brotha!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Mcqueen posted:

They look cool, though.

If only they had DAYTONA on their sides..

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Marv Hushman posted:

Tell me, Tim Gunn, how would you change the cut of his jib so that he met with your approval and didn't land in one of 4-5 biker pigeonholes? Keep in mind that anyone who manages to avoid these is still subject to the catch-all "tool" and "hipster" tags. FFS, at least he's not wearing bootlegged SOA merchandise...

Motards fall in their own category I'll have you know sir. :dong::dong::dong:

Dongs

KozmoNaut posted:

Chatroom Groomer posted:

What's with the Daytona hate? What have you got against British bikes?

Nothing at all, it's just one particular Daytona rider I don't like

Don't worry, he doesn't like it much either, he's always slamming it into the ground.... So angry... :3:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I rode the R1 with no front assembly for months. No headlight other than a little bity bicycle cat light. I never caught any flack from cops over it. I only rode it to and from work during the day though and my ride to work was less than 5 minutes.

It can be seen here in it's terrible glory.

http://youtu.be/gQ8G8W0s3gg

I'd like to note that, that poor ugly R1 ended it's life with me looking like this:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Gnaghi posted:

Do you have any more pics of it?

Possibly....

Honestly I was proud of how it came out when I finished it. For under $3k including the bike purchase I had an R1 with like 28k miles, new plastics, new headlights and fairing stay that didn't give me any issues. Those plastics were chinese knockoffs and took around 40 hours of fitting/finish to make them look really good. It was "my" first bike and I loved it.

(note to to newbies reading this wanting to get an R1, I had years of riding experience before I got the R1 and it was still to much bike. So before you ask the answer is "No! bad newbies *hits with rolled up newspaper* you shouldn't get R1.")

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n could put in his sidecarcycle....

I want one for my truck....

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Dellikose posted:

It would be fun when the road is new to you, but I would think it would become increasingly aggravating the more you had to deal with it.

Most people probably just love the attention from the onlookers.

Here's something a little more daring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83wUqn7_GwU&nomobile=1

wth kind of truck is that? It looks more like a 20' high powered shopping cart...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

drat son, spend some time in the midwest! We have some great roads out here!

That's the flat area between the water right?

In all seriousness I REALLY want to ride the midwest but getting time off right now isn't happening. I'm saving my off time for an Alaska ride.

On that note is anyone interested in hearing about my stupidly simple storage solution for the DRZ? I managed to add 50+ liters of soft storage to my bike that can be removed in under 30 seconds and adds no mounting weight...

It's a really stupidly simple set up.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Jabs posted:

<-------- Yes, Absolutely.

You take a camping backpack like so:

It's better if you get one with a frame, I have internal frames and they work fine. I have not tested an external yet, but I think it would do ok too.

Make sure that it has a hip belt that buckles, 2" buckles are preferred. Take nylon webbing and mount it to your passenger peg wing. Pick up an entire plastic buckle and attach it to the nylon webbing, it needs to correspond to the clips on the backpack. It's your call weather you mount the bag on it's face or on it's back - either seems to work, but the orientation of the clips determines how it'll attach.

With your new clips installed you can snap your backpack directly down to your bike seat. Take two bungies and run them through the loops of the bag and fasten it to the tail section. If the bag you get has a strap for across your chest you can also use that, but use bungies too! Your bag is now 75 mph safe and can be detached by unsnapping the buckles and releasing the bungies. It's also a hiking backpack so walking it up a nasty trail is much easier than lugging panniers.

*important poo poo*
Make SURE you take the time to tighten all the backpack straps and trim away any excess hanging strap, or fasten it securely to the top of the bag. Remember to account for travel, don't leave it hanging 5 inches from the rear wheel if you have 10 inches of travel....

Don't get a bag that's to big or stuff is going to be shifting around. A bag with multiple draw strings around it to tighten it up if it's not full is good.

Don't forget to leave yourself enough strap to carry it like a backpack.

Pros:
Light weight super easy to remove without any tools.
Good storage capacity and many many options in bags.
Cheap - I got my bags on clearance at REI for under $100, the buckles and nylon webbing were less than $20.
Lots of bags come with a waterproof cover that can be deployed while attached to the bike.

Cons:
Weak - it's a backpack, if you put it down poo poo's gonna hit the ground.
Not waterproof - unless you get a bag with a cover it's just a backpack.
The mounting hardware can be torn up in a crash. I carry 3' of 2" webbing and a spare buckle.

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Gullous posted:

Motorcycle bowling ball, activate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQr8YkzEEWQ&t=50s

I'd want this thing to inflate before I hit the van, which would get complicated fast...

Two words, ejector seat!:hellyeah: