Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

soy posted:

I actually really want to attempt this with my DRZ tonight as some friends got a campsite and this would be a lot more fun than driving out there in my Prius.

I've got a osprey atmos 50 backpack that looks something like this:

Internal frame, etc.. I go backpacking/camping a lot, I think I would go a lot more if I could incorp motorcycle into the equation.

I'm having a hard time visualizing in my head how this would actually work. Also, what parts I need from REI. I'm always up for an REI shopping trip.

You need nylon webbing and plastic buckles the same size/type as whats on your bag. Alternatively you can buy 2 sets of buckles and change what is on your bag if it has some stupid custom buckle.

Attach it to your passenger peg wing.

Does that make more sense? I'll try to get pics of mine up tonight, I'm just slammed right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'll just check my oil and my chain tension, It's cool I got it guys no need to stop.:colbert:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

Bizarre.

Ugly fairing, or ugliest fairing?

Ugliest for sure, it's hideous....

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

NitroSpazzz posted:

Short people gotta flat foot somehow.

Amen brotha! (Although honestly that bike isn't that big and a smurf could probably flat foot it)

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

schreibs posted:

Don't you need a carry permit to ride around with a gun strapped to you considering its not technically in a vehicle being transported?

I believe it's considered an open carry since it is strapped to you.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I dont know my gun laws, so is it just legal to open carry everywhere?

As others have said it's legal in some states illegal in others. If you do it, you need to be able to cite the code section etc. from memory. Most cops don't care and won't bug you, some are hard-asses with no clue though. I'm all for open carry being legal everywhere, but that's not the case.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

schreibs posted:

Don't you need a carry permit to ride around with a gun strapped to you considering its not technically in a vehicle being transported?

Oh god nevermind, politics/laws could derail this poo poo to no end.

Here lets get angry at this instead:

That's four kinds of effed up... Retarded on so many levels.
:flame:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
If I can get out of doing stuff with my wife later I'm going to start breaking down the Honda's engine. It needs about $200 in parts and probably about 6-8 hours in labor to get it all torn down with another 6-8 to re assemble it fully.

I think the plan is still to offload the Honda and save for a bigger touring bike for 2 up riding. I REALLY want to keep it and cafe or scrambler it though...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

That's exactly what I thought, too. I don't really know what he's getting at with "gently caress your prius" though. Are they really worth that much hate? It's kind of like "gently caress your golf shoes" or "gently caress your pottery barn end table" or something.

Yes, Prius's are worth the hate. I've almost been hit by at least 8 Prius's. They simply give no fucks, they are saving the environment and the road is theirs. That was pretty much what one told me when I confronted him at a light for blatantly cutting me off. My boot may have touched his headlight as I split past him after that....

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

My parents own a Prius, and after driving it I understand why they are so terrible, they have no rear visibility at all. That plus the mileage game, and it all goes out the window.

The guy that almost hit me saw me and admitted giving no fucks when he did. Big jock douschebag looking joker, major anger issues. Although, if I was driving a Prius I'd prolly be angry too.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

Here's a real winner of a Prius driver. Not all Prius drivers are this way! But some of them are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oSzLS0j9fY

I've always thought the best solution isn't petroleum, and it isn't battery-electric, but biofuel. You can convert a gasoline engine to run on ethanol and a diesel engine to run on...well, any oil pretty easily. Renewable liquid fuels keep the same fueling infrastructure, the same (or nearly) energy density, the same rapidity of refueling, the same range as we have today, but because they're biological they're sustainable and carbon-neutral. Plus, technologies like the direct-methanol fuel cell suggest that you could run a completely electric car on exactly the same renewable hydrocarbon, gaining the efficiency of an electric motor and the ability to sequester the CO2.

The only problem is of course MAKING the fuel in the first place, but I have confidence that we'll eventually figure out how to make cellulosic ethanol and lipid-producing microalgae and harvest all our fuel from a cordoned-off plot the size of Texas floating in the Pacific.

Aand that is my hippie boondoggle daydream for today.
You may take my petrol, but you'll never take my FREEEDOM!!:911:

E: OMFG,I just watched that video. If that'd been me on the bike it'd be like:

Turn that piece o.. REVREVREVREVREVREV WHAT? I COULDN'T HEAR YOU! I said, Turn that piece o... REVREVREVREV WHAT!?! I CANT HEAR YOU OVER MY GAS GUZZLING ENGINE!:madmax:

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 21, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

-Inu- posted:

more

My god, it's awesome! This will be my new wallpaper at work now, thank you!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

I thought it was a dual-disc but only the left side has a caliper.

It is dual disc, he's just such a beast calipers don't stop fast enough for him. I like to imagine him riding down the street grandeventimochafuckingchino in one hand, the right side disc in the other as he manually brakes the bike with his bare hand.:human being:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

An observer posted:

Moto Guzzi Ipothesys

Supposedly a modern day café. I kinda like it, except for the long swingarm (reminiscent of terrible "mods")

I'd like to know the wheel base of it, that tail is chopped so it may be making the swing arm look a lot longer than it actually is in comparison to most bikes with a full length tail section covering much of the length.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

My mother just sent me an email with the image of the three Italian racers (Dovi, Biaggi, Rossi) followed by the cruise ship leanin' hard. ONLY ITALIANS CAN DO THIS! I would post it, but I'm lazy and can't find it on GIS. And we've all seen it.

Thanks mom :3:

Yeah that made the rounds a few months ago. I thought it was hysterical my wife thought it was in bad taste.

Content!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTC8gkzcexU

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 23, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

That Video ID is hella malformed son

try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTC8gkzcexU

That's odd, it was a copy paste of the URL.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Boat posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the hell went on here. You can just make out a bit of deflection of the back wheel right before it launches, and I'm not sure if he turned the bars, grabbed a huge handful of brake or some combination of the two.

Either way he's exceedingly lucky the bike didn't land on some part of his anatomy.

I'm pretty sure that is the result of way to drat much front brake without enough control.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

invision posted:

There's a pop right before he flips, so either his front tire blew or his forks blew.

Tire looks ok, I think he just slid forward a bit much and tried to hold himself up by pushing on the bars and just locked it.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Pretty sure someone asked for a picture of my camping set up.

This is how I camp, I'm only going overnight Friday to Saturday to get in a bit of offroading before the rains come Saturday afternoon. The bag straps to my passenger peg "wings" and a bungie cord secures it through 2 eyelets to the tail section.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

ought ten posted:

That's pretty slick. What tank do you have?

I believe it's the IMS 4 gallon tank. I got it used so I'm not 100% sure, but other goons have identified it as such.

Silver posted:

Ponies, eff ur Suzuki flag, the Honda flag I bought Dug is bigger. :colbert: Thanks for the post though reminds me I want to get a shark fin for the KTM.

I have a Honda flag too, I've just got to clear the rest of my wall before I can hang it.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
As long as you ride your bike to places other than Starbucks for your latte you're pretty safe from the hipster crowd. In CT if you ride in the rain one day they may name it a holiday and give you the day off...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I've never seen a bike I wouldn't ride. Hell I've never seen a vehicle I wouldn't drive/ride/fly. My only issue is I'm not into bling AT ALL on my stuff. All my poo poo is matte black because I ride/drive like a jackass and wreck most everything I own.

For content, my beat to hell Matte black truck and my black Durz covered in mud!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Marv Hushman posted:

Whoa...California knows how to party. But you have a fresh audience here that has never heard a single word about your lovely old salvage R1...

----

Heyyy...I know that dude

You can compare me to Spicoli any day, I consider that a compliment bra.

The R1 was the inspiration for my matte black love, I can't stand to see something I've poured that much time and energy into get shredded like that. I've got about 12 wrecks under my belt off the track now and paint is expensive.

*note: not all wrecks were on bikes, or on land...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I think I read about that pennyfarthing that crashed on the ocean. Didnt know that was you.

Mine was on a river and involved jet ski's...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

When a car is stopped in the middle of an intersection like that you should always be slowing to check for what they stopped for. They might be making a left, there might be something in the road, they might be lost and about to cut into your lane.

I never understood the appeal of being a stoplight racer. People are so unpredictable in general, a city just adds more variables and chances for destruction. Adding speed to the mix is a perfect recipe for disaster and not to mention what's the point of having a bitchin bike if you can't cruise and enjoy the stares...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As a vintage BMW owner I can state that I don't care what anyone does to a /5 or newer BMW, but if you start messing with a /2 or earlier, you better be very clever and tasteful.

Damnit Rev, don't you tempt me! I've wanted a BMW forever, and now I almost have a reason for a matte black rattlecan paintjob. Just to be contrary...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I hurt just watching that video. I've done something similar but my wreck ended when I hit a tree. I find riding in a group makes people ride faster than they may be comfortable with. If I'm with others I prefer to play sweeper and take my time.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
For $30k I could get an R1, a Vstrom, a concours and another DRZ and still have money left over for insurance/mods. I can't figure out what their market segment is...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Armyman25 posted:

This may be a trend.

Meh cheap K2's when somebody posts a pic of someone riding in Razors, Remedyz or Xsjado's I'll be amused. I used to skate (rollerblade) professionally, competed in Europe etc. Those pics just have like cheapo Sports Authority skates.

Xsjado's would actually be pretty cool on a bike, it just fits over your shoe.
http://www.everythingxsjado.com/content/xsj-shoes-out-now

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Mcqueen posted:

How hard did you get beat up in school?

Pretty hard, but mostly by the teachers. The kids just felt sorry for me.:negative:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ola posted:

I've ridden one for 30 minutes in the rain. Didn't really like the sound or vibes from the parallel twin, but not annoying or tiring. Just a little lawnmower-y. Good punchy midrange, decent power in the right spot. It ticks a lot of marks in what I want my next bike to be. Upright style, frugal, not too heavy, available in fun colors. I don't like the lack of centerstand, even option of one. Don't think it's possible to mod one in either.

It's always possible to mod one, to quote my Grandpa, "A man with a welder and a cutting torch can do ANYTHING!" It may take some kerjiggerin but I'm sure you can do it.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Boru posted:

Seriously. Apparently it has 47k miles on it and won't start even with a "new starter installed." :crossarms:

I live in town, and my buddy owns a few extra batteries, so I was considering just lowballing $200 and messing with the thing so I could have it (hopefully) running in May when I get my license. If I can't I'm out a few hundred bucks which would be kind of annoying, but I am really drawn to that big ugly bike for some reason. :downs:

Content:

:gonk:

(more glorious pictures and videos here: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=17784.0)

I want it! It's even my color AND it has a bottle opener on the side.

I'd buy that for $2-400 and fix it, it can't be but so fubared and even so a part out would net you your investment if it was toast.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Slim Pickens posted:

Oddly enough this fits my evolution through biking almost perfectly. I am a pretty big neck beard connoisseur..

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Can we please do this for real? But in the parking lot and on micro-bikes?

Footage will need to be had for epic lulz... It would be awesome.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

MotoMind posted:

Shimrod, it's pretty much a point of honor to never park your bike pointing into the parking space. It makes leaving the parking space undignified, seeing as bikes lack reverse gear. You can duck-walk your bike back into a spot, or if you're pro you can do a full lock turn across an adjacent parking space.

You can also pick the bike up on the kickstand and do the 180 degree swivel. I do that with the DRZ, but it'd be a bear to do it with anything heavier imo.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

MotoMind posted:

You don't need to pivot on the kickstand if you don't park your bike the wrong way around. Using your kickstand to rotate the bike to the correct position is like driving around with 4 orangutans in your car to carry it in and out of parking spaces. It's unnatural.

If you must get yourself out of a situation where your bike is parked incorrectly, you may use a natural pivot maneuver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MQApmXwoEUY#t=21s

You may also use this maneuver to extricate an incorrectly parked motorcycle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C1WmC15SMhg#t=13s

(Either of these may also be used to achieve the correct orientation when initially parking your motorcycle.)

Of course you could always you know, just roll it backwards before you get on it...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Spiffness posted:

I don't understand what is so hard about moving bikes around you feel you need to rig up a contraption or wacky method of pivoting. Are you Fabio and each day deciding you need to ride bike #305 in the very back?

Just roll a bike out of the way, take the bike you want out, and roll the other bike back. I don't know why you'd want a rolling dolly or rolling wheel chock or giant spinning platform or whatever you feel would be easiest next. The beauty of motorcycles is they are small and light. Parking them is not difficult.

Yes, I am in fact Fabio.

In all seriousness, sometimes bikes are a bitch to move. especially sport bikes that don't take well to being turned at low speeds. Add in a packed garage or shed and it's a royal pain in the rear end.

My concern with the dolly would be it tipping over if the weight wasn't perfectly centered.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I seriously don't know where the hell to post this, it's either this thread or stupid motorcycle poo poo...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-GSXR...4#ht_885wt_1163

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

clutchpuck posted:

Road King Classics are hot but those Tailgunners are abominations.

They look good on this imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

clutchpuck posted:

I daresay they are the best part.

The paint job is pretty damned amazing. I thought the steer by wire was neat as well. I'm not usually into trikes, but being a gears fan helps make that one pretty cool to me. I'd love to ride a Can-Am just for shiggles.