Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm puzzled by the same thing. There was a big fuss a while back over police objecting to being filmed. The verdict is that it is a completely legal and reasonable thing to do. They work for the public, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
There you go. Thanks for taking the effort to dig all that up. IIRC, the reasons police objected to it and thought it must be illegal were based on "we don't want to be caught being bad". In general, I don't like being recorded even if I'm doing everything right, so I empathize with their complaint. That said, these things should be recorded and the world is a better place for the added supervision in this particular case. I need to get a gopro for a multitude of reasons.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KILZstOjdxw

I'm fairly certain the general reaction to my lane splitting in gridlock traffic isn't *smile* "WHAT A NOVEL IDEA! THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY! I WILL NOW GO EMULATE THAT SMART AND REASONABLE PERSON!"

Also, are they saying that only creepers with poor facial hair and horrible bosses ride their three wheeled monstrosity?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If the canam is for people who think motorcycles are too fast and will explode in corners, this is for people who see a scooter and think "oh my no no none of that it's too fast and unstable!". Not something I thought anyone would say about a 125cc scooter. What does the two front wheel setup gain, anyhow? Mentally I can see it easing people's minds, and it might stand upright by itself at lights, but do you really gain with two wheels so close together in the front?

For the record, I'd have no problems tooling around on one of those scoots for an afternoon, and see canams basically four wheelers.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You can hear and see the cop at one point behind them, but being held up by the quads. Pretty hilarious really. Just tossing his riding buds back as flares. Once he hit dirt road, it was over. Nobody is keeping up back there. Lack of any sort of gear is a real shame. Even his gloves were the wimpy motocross kind.

Impressive extended wheelies, though. Is it really that easy on a sumo?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

I also thought it was a proper dirtbike because it didn't appear to have a headlight or anything.

I caught that too. My thought was that it wasn't tagged or streetable at all, and he was running from the cops regardless. I can't decide if he is a good rider either. Certainly handled everything confidently. I just can't respect someone who does all that without any sort of gear, though. It's all fun and games until you go down and the whole world hears you screaming like a ninny.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeeeeah bitches cover that poo poo in fiberglass.

I'd unironically ride this for the rest of my life. That is so beautiful, even down to the paint/leather color.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think it's pretty...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That white EXIV 250N looks really cool. The silver part looks a little cheap, but overall I really like the stealth fighter bodywork, white ducati-esque frame, wheel design, and general cohesiveness of the bike. Plus the world needs more white bikes. If it performs as nice as it looks (250 thumper is a plus) and is reliable, I'd totally ride one.

Don't forget, you also get a heart shaped headlight. BONUS! :haw:

That muffler looks a little odd, though. Did they make it artificially big and just put a hole in one side of it? It looks GOOD but just interesting having that one side hole.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah I don't even like bikes styled like that and I'd drive it everywhere. It looks like someone chopped an old Indy car in half and rearanged some things. Perhaps that was the point but I love it.

For the knees, you sit like normal and they fit into the indentation flex in the cf you make from sheer terror.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
People in NZ aren't really... good... with motorcycles, are they? Otherwise, them's fightin words. I had no idea this bike existed, and don't want to know if it's some sort of doldrum two wheeled excuse. Just look at it

It's better with the little stubby windshield, though. I'd pick up all the groceries with that erry day.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh, so THAT'S why the fairing covers everything. :catstare:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Love the look of that. I'd ride that everywhere. All that needs to be changed is a bit more padding on the seat. IMO the ultra compact lights look great. As lighting tech gets more compact, new placement and shaping is possible. While i don't like the wonky spider eye look, the flat against the triples look is always eye catching, and makes the light look big from the front, like old skool lights.

What don't you like about it?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks guys, I'm now in love with Guy Martin, his accent, and his outlook on life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU8lWv7Uq5I

"Them two boys. I mean Ghangis KAN's gonna find us food id'nt he? He didn't do a bad job he'll find ya some food. Go-on Ghangis, you'll goin and find us some bacon would yah bahs? 'yissuh!'"

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Maybe it was a full fairing before they got their hands on the bike. I like how after all that it was straight wheelie forever. I definitely know that feeling of adrenaline and desire to go WOT after a "OMG I ALMOST DIED". Not that I approve of any of the actions in that video. There was plenty of time to stop between the cars or just in general. I'm a newbie rider but that is an unsafe rider.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That open exhaust at the front pointed at the front wheel gets me every time. I know it works, and when moving it blows back, but it just seems wrong. Plus if you are burning oil wouldn't you be coating your front wheel at stops?

This shows it a bit more side oriented, so maybe it's just that aftermarket exhaust. Really great looking bike, though.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 18, 2014

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is a pretty good looking naked bike. Given harley pricing for 30 year old tech, I shudder to know what future tech will cost.

That guy who wanted 300-500 miles on the tank is ridiculous. My gas bike gets 110 range on a good day before the E light flicks on. Give that bike 100 mile range and an hour charge or less, and it's all good.

Secondary joke about harley riders whining about needing a long range BECAUSE THEY RIDE THEIR HOGS SO MUCH. More like it will get 9 months to a charge.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Love that color on the road star seat. Dont change a thing about the paint. The gunmetal gray was made to go with deep faded brown. Keep that exhaust, too. I never stop loving how large and quiet it is. Its the anti Harley.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What happened? At first, I thought he scraped the wall, but on rewatching everything looks fine. scraped a peg? Didn't look too leaned.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have a hard time not completely ripping on the polaris. On the one hand, I'm completely on board with more sporty fun things being created and sold, and that looks like both. On the other, whatever that is going to cost could get you an actual car that is more fun, like a lotus. I say go for it, but don't pretend that a bike or modified roadster wouldn't be faster and cheaper and maybe more fun.

The glaring question that nobody has asked is; How many minutes does that rear tire last before hitting the wearbars?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Can we argue less about if the grom is the best, and just admit it's the best? I want to live vicariously through Legdiian and he needs to post more pictures/trip reports of tiny hooning. It really is too bad it's so expensive and unable to do highway riding.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

I would not have said loading one down with gear was possible. That thing must handle awful. It sells the grom even more, but I'd want to take it an hour or so up to the mountains, and I cannot imagine that going well on the highway. During traffic it would be very ok, I think, if people saw you.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Longer than the rider. Honestly, I'd love to ride that to feel it, but you could never really pin the throttle without the bike flipping over backwards... right? That sounds frustrating.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
"Hand pounded cutaways in the tank for your knees to fit in."

"Asking for a line to be created" No. It's asking for a quick death.

Also, jumping rail crossings on a poor performing bike in no gear but a helmet (with the visor up). Someone here had trouble doing that on a ducati but sure you can do it on your barn find.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
EX250 Type R- I've been catching up on this thread and keep seeing your kid owning bones. Gotta commend you on being an awesome parent, and your small rider just absolutely killing it.

Today I had a 2015 r1 pull up behind me and was struck by the headlight, running light, and directional profile. I don't normally go in for their styling, but I love what they did with it. It's really great to see manufacturers taking advantage of the design freedoms compact LED's can afford. I'm sure this exact thing has been discussed many times already, but this is what I'm talking about, though in person the main lights seemed round;

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wouldn't that also ruin his helmet? Or is the impact not enough? It was the only gear they were wearing so maybe they don't care. Great point on ruining any chance of legal recourse, but incredibly satisfying as is. America.

In the mug video, that woman tossing the coffee right away is what did it for me. I think he even got coffee on his glove for his efforts, which is going to take forever to stop smelling like coffee. What is wrong with people?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
In my current tw200 obsession, I came across this. Guy commutes to work overland on his tdub. Basically the best commute. Highlights at 3:40 for off road wheelie and 8:40 for stubborn trailbird blocking the path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZwRDc7Www

Really well done video.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

rotaryfun posted:

uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhBRAAAAAP

That's hilarious. I don't know why he didn't just split up the side there, but I definitely like his follow through.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I can't see any way that would not end in tears. Shifting down? Oops you overshot and let the clutch out in 5th at 20 mph. Shifting up trying to squeeze every bit of speed out of the bike? Enjoy 1st at 70.

Is it just simpler or cheaper mechanically to do this? Transmissions are magic boxes to me.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
double post I don't know how. Here is a picture of a performance mod that gives you a sweet constant drift to one direction on highways.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 8, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

That's not rage inducing.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
And here I always lamented not having first floor access so I could bring my bike in for the winter or to keep it from being stolen...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j38ze-Nn2nA

I wish I could have seen those tiny bees racing at isle. At one point in there, one of the riders almost washed out. I guess without the safety gear we have now, it would have been just as damaging to go down at 60. Those tiny thin wheels look so frail.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Deeters posted:

A show starring ColinFurze and Guy Martin is the only thing I could accept as a replacement for Top Gear.
:aaaaa: This would be the very best in television.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I like you Chichevache, but you are trying my patience by suggesting that they not include James May. And wait. Are we talking about a top gear that only does motorcycles? I would say that this new superior trio would be well equipped to handle motorcycles AND cars.

Out of the ashes; a new, more awe inspiring, phoenix rises.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't even go for cafe style and I'd be all about any of those. Not sure what you mean by "farm bike" but a lightweight, small, general purpose bike, with nice styling, sounds like a dream for a daily. I'd ride the junk out of any of those.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm truly jealous of how plentiful and common rudimentary bikes like that are over there. All of those bikes you posted seem awesome. No wonder they are so highly sought after by bike thieves in the states.

Of course, they don't catch on as a new item in the states because most of our new riders are only interested in railgunning themselves into a wall with as much engine as possible. Anything less would call into question their sexual preference, or gender.

The scrambler looks so rad and I wish I had the cash to just splash out for one. Of course, I could end up with a much better bike for half their cost, but they do look like a ton of simple fun.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 27, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

What is this?! Is this a grom? There need to be more forms of ZRX in the world.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The zrx is truly a miracle of life.

Thanks for IDing that. Honda Monkey is substantially less exciting than a grom.

captainOrbital posted:

This makes me want to put a ZRX nose fairing on my Ninjette.

This is now a requirement.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, but it's not like it's going to throw the chain very far at you at 10mph on a sheer vertical muddy cliff wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
"This bike is great! It LITERALLY goes wherever I point it!"