Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Reading this thread again made me want to make my bike look less like a pile. This is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Silver posted:

This guy is loving awesome.

To contribute.

"Famous last words" seems very apt here

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

That triumph just makes me think :pwn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A23RbIeJ0A

Don't ride like those assholes, but god drat.

drat those dudes don't give a gently caress

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Silver posted:

Whoa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu2HMo63nyU

Ouch.

That was way funnier than it had any right to be

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

Well, I assume everyone reading this has seen the ending to the Myspace video.

That exact wipeout the guy did in the parking lot happened to this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4

Good racing bike, bad parking bike.

I laugh way too hard at videos like that. I think it makes me a bad person.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

FlyinDoc posted:

Great thing about keeping those shenanigans to the racetrack is that there's nothing around to hit.

Except those pesky walls

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
This is how REAL MEN deal with winter:

(edit: by breaking tables, apparently, oops)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Fantastic! I'd love to get one of those.

They actually sell Urals in the U.S. but they're almost as overpriced as Harleys

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Christoff posted:

That's not funny and gently caress the guy that made that

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

MrKatharsis posted:

Then where would your precious rust free used vehicles come from?

California comes to mind

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Spiffness posted:

http://www.break.com/index/showoff-biker-wrecks-new-custom-harley.html

Use the rear brake dale... noooooo

What a dumb mother fucker

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Zool posted:

Using more rear brake is not going to do diddley for you if you tuck the front in a straight line. He crashed because he doesn't know how to ride a motorcycle.

"so far you got 32 seconds try it again" first ride?

He held the wheelie for 32 seconds on the previous try I'm guessing. Or it was 32 seconds away from 12 o clock :laugh:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Ola posted:

He jabbed the front brake yeah. Maybe his tires aren't that good, maybe some other factors were bad but his main problem was accelerating that quick towards a red light. Harleys might be dogs but they still accelerate quick enough to get you into trouble, particularly if you taught yourself riding by watching Camel ads.

He just wants to be cool like Joe and you can't do that just by smoking cigarettes

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Coredump posted:

After looking at the video I realize that you're probably right but care to elaborate on what vehicle it is or are you just too busy patting yourself on the back?

I think its a Lada Niva, which is sort of an SUV.

And that rider is dead as gently caress considering the speed at which he plowed into the side of the car with.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

:whatup:

I would ride the poo poo out of that and anyone that wouldn't is just insecure

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
On a very slightly related (and far less ugly) note, I was in Japan last week and got to visit Suzuki's HQ, where they have a good-size car-and-bike museum and will work up an effort post on that hopefully soon. Here's a blueballing in the form of the rotary-powered, Giugiaro-styled RE-5

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

And yet just a few years ago, he was practically lovesick over not using KTM for long way round?

Wow, a dude changed his opinion on something, how unheard of!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

for those of you not making the connection here: when ewan and charley were putting together the long way round thing, charley had his heart set on a KTM adv bike, but KTM corporate said no. BMW was their second choice. if you see the show you'll see how incredibly pissed off charley was at this. also, the BMW they used in the show became BMW's best selling model in BMW Motorrad history after that. way to go, KTM.

Imagine if that trip had ended badly though. Like one of those BMWs making GBS threads its final drive all over the rear end end of Kazakhstan. Knowing how risk-averse car/bike makers can be, I'm fairly surprised that BMW didn't say "nah, we'll pass" either.

Not like either of those two actually needed to freeload.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

i dunno if you actually saw the show, but in both long way down and long way round, the bikes DID poo poo themselves in various ways. although in long way down, i believe it was aftermarket rear shocks that were to blame. in LWR, one 1150 cracked its subframe and then blew out its servo brakes when they welded the subframe. some of that was not the bike's fault, but still.

Haven't seen LWD but the failures in LWR were related directly to user incompetence. The subframes cracked because they were overloaded and the welding blew out the ABS because nobody thought of doing something simple like disconnecting the battery first.

quote:

i really don't think any bike failure of any kind, short of a bike killing one of the riders or being so incredibly bad that they ditched all of them and bought different ones, would be bad from a marketing perspective.

This level of failure is what I had in mind. I did specifically mention final drive failure, which isn't exactly fixable by a Mongolian guy with a welder.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

abigserve posted:

To be honest I don't think KTM was angling for that market. If you look at their lineup KTM is the hooligan of the motorcycle industry, so when they saw "hollywood actors are going to ride around the world" they probably thought it was going to be weak.

And in a way, it was, they took 3 support vehicles and had a bottomless budget.

I thought the support crew thing was pretty weaksauce but it seems that at the end of the day, said crew caused more harm than good, what with two of them almost dying when their truck flipped.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Linedance posted:

Yeah there's weirdos who do it solo in order to prove something to themselves, but I have nothing to prove. The Dakar rallyists use support trucks, nobody harps on them for not being hardcore enough.

Yes because the average guy with a bike and a thirst for adventure has the pockets to buy a support team just like a millionaire movie star or corporate-backed racing team :rolleyes:

redscare fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 4, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Linedance posted:

Resources aren't just money either, if you had a well connected friend who could arrange travel papers and local fixers why would you decline their assistance?

Getting help from locals is completely different than having a support van full of spare parts trail you.

And no, I wouldn't have a support van even if I could afford it. At that point its not an adventure anymore, its a guided tour.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

What if you had a smoking hot wife who was a mechanic and liked vans?

... covered in grease.

wearing a bikini.

I'd get a Ural!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Linedance posted:

so what is it, one-upmanship? A weird mix of envy and elitism? You think half the Germans touring around Africa at any given moment on a GS aren't middle managers in some company? "Sense of adventure" in this case seems to translate as "I'm better than you because..."

I can't even imagine a scenario in which that statement makes the least bit of sense.
Adventure and being deliberately difficult are completely unrelated things in my mind.

I don't think you "get" adventure riding

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

8ender posted:

Isn't adventure riding just going somewhere off the beaten path on your bike and having fun?

Pretty much yeah

quote:

Does it have to be filled with tragedy and hardship to qualify?

Tragedy? Certainly not, that's the last thing that should happen. Hardship? Not necessarily.

inolen posted:

stuntin'

Out of curiosity, are you wearing any kind of shoulder armor under there?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I've never been on a group ride and I don't plan on ever going on one. The idea as a whole seems stupid and unnecessarily dangerous, especially when sport bikes are involved.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

inolen posted:

We both wear the Alpinestar Bionic jacket and Dainese 3x knee pads.

Cool, seen a few stuntas gently caress themselves up royally binning it off a foot-in-the-seat circle or whatever cause they weren't wearing gear.

And christ I just noticed that sprocket. What's the diameter on that thing?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Never riding with me again? :ohdear:

Group rides are fine as long as everyone understands their place and is comfortable there. There's no shame in going slow if that's what you're comfortable with, and a lot of people, especially sportbike riders, forget that when the guy in front of them ups the pace a bit. Group rides are fun but people have to remember that priority one is still getting home safe.

Its not really a group if its just a couple guys :glomp:.

I'm ok with something like what we had on the Crest in August, where everyone went their own pace (I *think* I'd actually feel safer if I was mixed in with some cars because then the risk of ending up like that unfortunate Ducati rider is reduced), but I guess my image of a group ride is a bit skewed - when I hear "group ride brah," I assume a dozen squids getting retarded.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The only group rides (more than me + my dad) I've been on had 40-60+ bikes in them, and everyone was safe and sane.

Scooter riders are the best riders :colbert:

40-60 scooters? So you rode around in Parisian traffic, big deal.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

I was up on Mullholland recently on a weekend and it was a clusterfuck of epic proportions. gently caress that place...not to mention the g/f's incident with getting run off the road. loving squids.

I stay the gently caress away from Mulholland. If its not morons that'll gently caress you over, its gonna be the cops. And since the speed limit on there is so drat low, they'll gently caress you hard.

To contribute to the topic, here's another picture from the Suzuki museum (I fear I'll never get around to making that effort post :sigh:)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
The bike in the middle has boostu! Its a 1982 XN85

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

i not only agree with everything said in this show but i would say that i believe all of it with fundamentalist religious fervor.

Amen. Those guys were fags.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
*drools all over self like a retard*

I WANT. NOW.

*checks wallet*

aww :smith:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Alternatively

MrKatharsis posted:

The Multistrada: because the KLR is just not ugly enough.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Just saw this on ADV, goes in line with the thread we have on the same subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObeFgvc8ysQ

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I kind of have to wonder how the LeMons cars do with that kind of corner. I'm sure not a whole lot and the drivers don't even notice with the 30 year old suspension blobbing back and forth from two turns prior.

Considering that most LeMons drivers are poo poo, I doubt they notice. At this weekend's race, traffic would regularly back up at that corner because of some moron.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
poo poo is like that is what separates them from us mere mortals

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Uthor posted:

yeah he's dead

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

inolen posted:

LOL, he's not actually. But to add to the humor, that's his own truck that he himself parked there in that tunnel. I ride with his brother pretty frequently, and we were just laughing about this the other day.

He must have spent a fair amount of time in the hospital then because it looks like he helicopters right into the front of the camera car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Oh holy jesus christ

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518990

The paintjob is lame but any bike with studded tires is badass as far as I'm concerned