Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tjones
May 13, 2005

apatite posted:

All my DRZ really needs is a 6th gear. I keep shifting, it's never there. WHY SUZUKI, WHYYYYYYY

You will never ever have enough gears. I go for 7th anytime I'm not paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005

Legdiian posted:

It was beautiful up in NH today!

Which mirrors do you have? How are they? I'd like to get a pair of turn signal mirrors, but I'm unsure if I'll like them.

The stock R6 mirror has me staring at my elbow if positioned to look directly behind me. They have also started to vibrate at anything over 4K, and I get nervous not being able to clearly identify any vehicle behind me. If I don't replace them I'll probably install a barend instead. Another set of signals sitting up high would be nice.

Nice 6. I love the red/white and originally wanted to find a pearl white one.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Legdiian posted:

Slightly better shot of the mirrors

Thanks for the reply. I ordered flush mounts the same day I bought my bike. I have no idea what Yamaha was thinking putting those huge Shrek ears on such a gorgeous bike. Why they didn't go the GSXR route, I don't know. For 250.00 though I think I'll contemplate more on the block offs and a bar end or a cheap set of ebay versions.

I used to flap my left arm in a chicken wing like fashion before the mirror started vibrating. Now I reach out and hold it so I can get a clear look.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I'm with Voltage as far as the tachometer goes. It is petty as hell, I know, but I have to have an analog tachometer. The whole gauge cluster could be LCD for all I care, yet it if doesn't have a tachometer needle I'll hate it.

tjones
May 13, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Me too, and I don't even own anything with three cylinders.

Place it on your dining table as art for a great conversation piece.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Sometimes I forget what it is like to browse SA with avatars and titles disabled. Thanks. :)

tjones
May 13, 2005
That picture reminded me of this, a beautiful thing I saw at Barber's museum and spent what felt like a whole hour looking over in pure amazement. Then again, almost everything in that museum could warrant an hour of gawking.

It was the first and last time I have seen such in person.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

What's wrong with this one?

Though I think it would probably look better without the fairing.

I think it is tasteful, and I like the exhaust. I don't even hate the fairing; it functions extremely well for what it was design to do: allow you to comfortably smoke your cigarette while blasting your metallica cd and charging your iphone.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Yamaha released this lovely marketing video that some news sites are saying is a sneak peak of either the R3 or R25. It's fifteen seconds long but you get a quick glance at the front of the headlight cowl and a side view blueprint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUxfIp-Hp7M

I wish they would hurry up and release more information about their triple super sports they've alluded to.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The white bike that they show the headlight and with the girl sitting on it is their 3-wheel scooter.

That makes more sense as I was wondering how the race-y looking blueprint photo had what looked like a more FZ9 front end in the real footage.

tjones fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 18, 2014

tjones
May 13, 2005
If anyone here hasn't already, I highly recommend watching Closer to the Edge.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

I would suspect emissions aren't anywhere near legal levels, ruling out civvy sales.

I'm not sure how prevalent it is in other countries, but here in the US, all diesels are adopting exhaust regeneration technology (Urea, aka DEF fluid for anything that isn't an International) for cleaner emissions.

From my experience with diesel trucks, the process burns off the captured exhaust at extremely high temperatures. Not something I'd like to have happen between my legs.

tjones
May 13, 2005
At some point that notation comes around full circle and becomes fun again. The stupidest poo poo makes me giggle with joy.

It is the same feeling I get when I ride any scooter.

EDIT: I'd ride it.

tjones
May 13, 2005

echomadman posted:

nasty crash at the NW200 yesterday, rider survived but is critical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xM5QEycPfs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xM5QEycPfs

Well reading this sucked some of the excitement that was quickly building for the TT. Andrews has had some serious accidents in the past, and I would hope he considers retirement if he has a successful recovery.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Diametunim posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of a road racer retiring because of a crash, gently caress that. Fall off the horse, get back on.

No, but in his case he's had 3, crucial accidents, one last year at leman that was pretty severe.

That's horrible he didn't make it. Guy had some huge balls to keep getting back on.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Haven't read what caused it, but anything really. Those bikes stay in a constant state of unstableness. There is so much that can go wrong at such high speed with everything on the course threatening to kill the rider if he gets tossed. Makes Marquez's riding look like slow strolls through a neighborhood.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I was pulled over for my left light being out. By the time I convinced the stupid fucker he was wrong there was a state trooper, county deputy, and city k9 narcotics officer on the scene.

I wish my r6 had r1 bulbs.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I'm am impatiently waiting for another year or two when these start showing up used on craigslist because I am going to buy the gently caress out of one of those and use it as a commuter/hooligan bike. They look like a blast to ride.

tjones
May 13, 2005
That makes me want to order a fairing kit and have it painted in a dazzle camouflage pattern.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Legdiian posted:

Did my first track day ever! Went to Thompson Speedway in CT and did a Penguin racing school track day experience. Had a blast!

I'm sure there are a million things I'm doing wrong in this video, but I had fun anyway :)

http://youtu.be/yEwIDotwGzc

You look a little crossed up. Great looking bike, makes me wish I could have found a red one when I bought mine.

tjones
May 13, 2005
600 supersports are anemic as gently caress unless you are revving the absolute tits off them. It actually takes a lot of loving work to get the front to even lift on all the 600s I've ridden (only using this for a comparison of torque --- don't wheelie kids).

They aren't the scary beasts everyone seems to think they are. After having purchased a newer 600 and having owned it for a year, I'm regretting not using my hard earned money to make the leap straight to a few year older than what I have liter bike.

tjones
May 13, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Or you could all have just gone for God's own cylinder configuration, the v-twin.

I've owned a few V-twins. I wanted an inline 4. That isn't to say the R6 I have isn't fun, but like any red blooded male, I now want more.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

What actually caused him to crash?

Hard to tell from all the bouncing the camera is doing, but if I had to guess, his front wheel became airborne due to the rough road and him griping the bars like an idiot caused the rest.

tjones
May 13, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is that tank shaped that way to stop him sliding up when doing a wheelie while sat on the tank?

Basically. Same thing as someone taking a hammer to the tank. It gives them something that their rear end can sit into while doing tank wheelies.

tjones
May 13, 2005
What you want to bet he lifted off that rise and upon freaking out and setting the front wheel back down went into a high speed shake? It's not hard to do.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I live outside of Huntsville. I love riding through Guntersville State Park and over to all the great little routes around Little River Canyon.

There are a ton of fun little roads all over the Fort Payne area. If you live around Mentone I envy you for having all that in your back yard.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I would have guessed a 2002 R1 would indicate more than 168. Color me surprised.

tjones
May 13, 2005
LOL. Street Rossi should retire.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Someone make a video titled "Top two reasons to stop riding" and cut between two pictures of different totaled Daytona's.

tjones
May 13, 2005
So someone today pointed out to me that in his last youtube video on his garage renovation, he hung a picture of a Porsche on his garage wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_WDUdUXvec&t=286s

Fantastic.

tjones
May 13, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Was he the guy who just drove off the road because he was fiddling with his phone?

I think that was another idiot.

tjones
May 13, 2005
That is awesome. Anyone who hates that is bad.

Wouldn't the fat front be a good thing on a small rim like that? I've ridden some scooters with tiny skinny wheels and the front can dump you very quickly if you aren't being careful. Before you realise it, you are on the ground wondering what the gently caress just happened while everyone laughs at you.

tjones
May 13, 2005

open24hours posted:

The wide tyre would make it turn in slower, but at the speeds that bike does it probably wouldn't make much of a difference otherwise. Scooters tip over because the tyres are usually the cheapest stuff around, rather than because they're too skinny.

I thought it was the diameter size that caused scooter tires to be sketchy as gently caress.

tjones
May 13, 2005

JB50 posted:

Whens YammieNoob gonna give us an update?

They released the full video the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYmqZBDk_eI

tjones
May 13, 2005
loving awesome. Post more if you have any more cool pictures.

tjones
May 13, 2005
The TT kicks off in a month. Here's an old Joey Dunlop documentary if you like TT related things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixO7k2Foa-0

tjones
May 13, 2005
Maybe he buys a Porsche backpanther style and hits a train next.

tjones
May 13, 2005

YF19pilot posted:

If that's the way it works, how come he didn't buy a rock after his first crash?

Bravo, haha.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I would willingly hit a Porsche with that.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Did they get the nudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005
I don't care for anyone involved for various logical level-headed reasons, but the retards who doxxed that idiot youtuber deserve a special place in hell, figuratively speaking.

How high must his high horse be to go out of his way to search for and act on a guys information that lives nowhere close to him. What the gently caress.