Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Directed by: Jonathan Liebesman
Starring: Jordana Brewster , Taylor Handley , Diora Baird , R. Lee Ermey , Andrew Bry

I think I would have liked this movie a lot more if it was more of an origin story as the trailer led me to believe.

As far as I can tell, this movie takes place roughly 4 years before The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003). I was hoping for more backstory on the family, instead I was given brief clues as to the origin of their insanity with a bunch of clips at the beginning of the movie featuring news articles, documents surrounding Leatherface's skin condition, etc. I wanted to know WHY they were crazy, but this movie simply did not cover much of that at all. What I'm saying is that even at the beginning of the movie, the family is insane. You never really see where the transformation took place.

The biggest problem with this movie is that it follows almost the EXACT.SAME.FORMULA as the 2003 remake. Some parts of this movie were giving me deja vu. I understand that it's the same family, the same house, etc..But it just doesn't feel like much effort was put into the storyline.

On the upside of things, this movie is absolutely disgusting. Scenes featuring R. Lee Ermey were tense as usual. You really feel the characters' fear of him. Leatherface is as brutish and intimidating as usual. I love this guy because unlike most horror movies, he charges his victims with full force brutality.

I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll end with this..

There are a LOT of horror movie cliches in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning. If you're like me, you'll be banging your head on the seat in front of you at some of the choices the characters make.

If you're looking for brutality and gore, or if you just really like R. Lee Ermey, go see this movie. If you didn't like the 2003 remake, don't bother.

RATING: 2.5

PROS: Fantastic gore, decent cinematography, R. Lee Emery, Kathy Lamkin's very short appearance
CONS: Unbelievable character choices, too much like the remake from 2003

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420294/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovaHunter
Mar 13, 2004

Jack Bauer is my hero.
This movie was completely unrelenting in the brutality department. The poo poo that Hoyt and Leatherface do is just disgusting and honestly hard to watch at times.

Excellent movie, as well. R. Lee Ermey fans should definitely go to see it because he had the most screen time.

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

I posted my sort of review thing in the cinema discusso thread so:

In general, I expect horror movies to have some pretty cheesy acting and I tend to not get my hopes up.. That said, This was excellent.

Having followed the series since I was a kid (yep, I saw the original when I was like 7) and gone through several lovely, albeit funny, remakes.. This was a breath of fresh air in my opinion. I enjoyed the backstory and for the most part it worked well in expressing how hosed up a life he grew up in.. I enjoyed Ermeys character in the movie and thought the overal focus on him made plenty of sense. While still being a horror movie, this movie did what few seemed to do as it portrayed the killer as mental and the product of the true menace-- in this case, Ermeys character.

One of my minor annoyances with this movie was the progression of Ermeys character-- With such emphasis on him being totally nuts, they should of atleast given us a bit of a run up until the point wherehe just blows the sherrif away and goes all out cannibal survival gung ho . I would of liked to see some hesitation on the part of Thomas-- He just seems to pick up all the characteristics too quickly.

The whole biker portion of this seemed kinda tagged on and out of place but it ended up working out alright.

Some may complain about the lead character being pretty similar to the remake and the original, I didn't really seem to mind. It would of been harder to make the story believable with a male character. I didn't really notice many of the common stupid moments from characters in this movie-- None of them were overly stupid or anything. I think this movie amped up the brutality factor a bit and did so better than hostel and wolf creek-- those movies are a joke in my opinion.

Are there plot holes? sure. I agree with the above poster-- This movie would of been better if it had been a bit bleaker in terms of the chances of any of them surviving-- but wolf creek did this and it kind of sucked.

All in all, it wasn't the best movie- but it was still excellent for a horror flick and a fine addition to the series and probably a bright spot. I liked this more than the remake, easily.

4/5

Big Brother
Oct 10, 2006
I'm Watching You...
I'm sorry, but when I go to see a movie that is supposed to explain how an insane killer becomes just that, I expect the movie to actually explain it, not just re-hash a film of the saem genre that was released a couple years back. I already saw the dumb teenagers get chopped up into meaty munchies by a rusty chainsaw, I want to actually understand what is up with the hunk of flesh named Leatherface. Way to gently caress up the movie with a retarded plot that does nothing to explain "The Beginning" other than showing his first couple murders in bloody detail.

.5/5

What a poo poo film.

Big Brother fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 11, 2006

FicT10n
Oct 17, 2006
Being a HUGE fan of the franchise, I could only go in expecting the best. However, I was not expecting the worst, which I should have. This movie has so many plot holes it is rediculous, and the story seems to have been an exact replica of the 2003 movie. This film blows.

2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyGhost
Sep 19, 2006
This sheet with eyeholes makes funny noises.
I thought it was an interesting concept that they incorporated scenes from the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre into this movie such as the scene in which the family is having dinner at the table.. However, like most modern horror movies, it only attempts to scare by making it as gory and brutal as possible. The original movie relied on atmosphere rather than gore, and this is just a run of the mill modern horror movie.