Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Directed by: Clint Eastwood
Starring: Ryan Phillippe, Adam Beach, Jesse Bradford

Flags of our Fathers is a movie about the marines that invaded Iwo Jima, and the way it effected the survivors of the flag raisers once they got back home. Based on the book by the same name.

Going into the movie I was expecting it to mostly be battle scenes, and then some about the homefront, but even though it wasnt anywhere near that I still walked away alot more satisfied that I ever thought I would be. Only maybe half the movie takes place on the island, and they usually go back through flashbacks of the survivors, although some of them last a while. The majority of the homefront story isnt boring at all though, and really contrasts with the battle itself. The battle scenes were really well done, and especially the bombardment of the island was extremely impressive. You get a really good sense of the island, how extremely small it was, and how it is about the most hellish battlefield you could ever imagine.

The audiences reaction to it might not be the same at a normal screening, since this one was filled up with Vets and their families and friends, but it was pretty emotional and lots of people got pretty broken up especially toward the end. Tons of people were crying and Im surprised my jaw didnt go out I was clenching my teeth so hard trying to hide the emotions during the credits.

If you could care less about veterans and what they went through, skip it, this movie isnt for you. But if you have even the most remote appreciation for what they did, especially if you know a vet, definitely see this movie. And even if you dont maybe this movie will help you gain some.

RATING: 5

PROS: Way the story is told, acting, directing, good battle scenes but also very emotional and sentimental
CONS: Starts off a little choppy, might lack enough action if your craving a gorefest

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418689/

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 11, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindcrime
Mar 3, 2005

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is 24.
I honestly thought this movie was a complete piece of poo poo, and I say this as a rabid war movie fan. There were so many things that I hated about this movie, I guess I should take them piece by piece.

Characters: None of them were interesting, and all but one were unlikable. I felt nothing when you saw men killed, there was no camaraderie, no bond, no emotional connection between them and the audience. This is really the biggest weakness of the film in my opinion seeing as how it's one of the only war movies I can think of where I didn't give a flying poo poo about anyone I wanted to root for. Contrast this with pictures like Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers and it's painfully obvious how much of a problem this is.

Settings and Scenery: I understand that they shot this movie to give it an "old time" feel, but the lack of color throughout this movie was incredibly annoying. When they were in Japan, it wasn't so much of an issue for me... military equipment, burnt rock/grass, uniforms aren't very colorful, but everything looked equally drab when our heroes come back to the states. I'm not normally a stickler on issues like this, but the film was so bad that this just exasperated me even further. There was a scene where a few young women are singing at some function - these women are wearing bright, vivid red jackets... that's about the only color you're going to notice.

The island itself is hard to bitch about. It was a burnt out strip of land with a big rock on one side. They did a good job making it look dreary, it's just too bad they didn't leave that feeling away from the United States settings. The amphibious staging shots and the initial battle on the island were impressive, but didn't really overwhelm me with awe like the Normandy landing in SPR, or a few scenes from BoB. It was good, it just wasn't faptastic.

Story: Wasn't compelling or interesting. A few fight scenes, a war bond drive back home, a drunk and puking Indian, 46 flashbacks, and a bunch of characters that nobody gives a poo poo about.

RATING: 1.5
Pros: Initial battle scene on the island.
Cons: Everything else. This movie is a piece of poo poo.

Yanci Fry
Sep 19, 2006
This was a good movie, but not as good as I was expecting. The movie is mainly about the lives of the three survivors after they go back to the US and do their bond drive. The action parts are mostly in flashbacks which is kind of annoying. Everytime there is a scene in the US and you hear thunder, or some sort of booming noise, or it is dark and there are flashes of light, you know you are going to get a flashback of some sort. It is pretty predictable.

The characters were pretty good but I didn't like the Indian guy at all.

I think the movie should have mainly been about the flag raisers on Iwo instead of the men who went back to the US. It would have been much better if they followed them through the battle instead of just in flashbacks.

Anyway the battle scenes were well done and it is a must see if you like WWII films. The movie should be good enough to keep anyone's interest and overall was well done.

4/5

Yanci Fry fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 23, 2006

Russell_Nash
Mar 3, 2006
Disjointed is the best word to describe this movie. This movie actively jumped around to 4 or 5 different time periods in the film with no rhyme or reason. It just felt really unnecessary to chop the film up like that. The action was spot on but the story is presented in such a manor that really hinders the film. I think if this movie was just edited differently to flow a little bit more chronologically it would have helped a whole lot.

Highs: Good war action.
Lows: Disjointed editing, Paul Walker, a the constant raging on the Indian(it was seriously every 3 minutes).

Paul Walker: com’on bras, lets go climb this mountain!

Rating: 2/5

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

It wasn't the best movie ever, especially in story telling, but I think it did a good job getting its point across. You don't ever fall in love with any of the characters, but I think it was supposed to be that way, you are not supposed to see the men as lovable heroes.

I thought the battle scenes were excellent, especially the landing. They did exactly what they were supposed to do, paint a picture of how hellish the war was. I must admit I don't watch many war movies, so it may be different for those with more experience watching war movies; but I thought the battle scenes were extremely hard to watch just because of how disturbing and graphic the scenes were.

Overall it's not a perfect film, but I think it does a great job getting across the point it means to. Its definitely not the movie to watch if you want a typical war film with tons of battles and lovable heroes.

Pros: Great battle scenes, Great job getting its point across.
Cons: Not a great story or great story telling.

Score: 4/5

trav
Jun 20, 2006
12/f/korea
Did anyone else notice how Ryan Phillippes character "Doc" never actually saved anyone but rather made half rear end attempts at looking shocked as his patients continually died from bullets in shoulder/toe regions?

I personally found the movie boring and the indian drunk aggravating. 1.5/5

Kaltag
Jul 29, 2003

WHAT HOMIE? I know dis ain't be all of it. How much of dat sweet crude you be holdin' out on me?
It wasn't the best of war movies, and I was unpleased with the constant interruptions of my gore.

They didn't stop for the guy who fell off :(

quote:

The Guardian:
Hardly any civilian can really imagine himself killing or being killed in war, but we can all imagine ourselves being that poor conscript sap, falling in the Pacific and left to drown by our own side.

2.5/5

Kaltag fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 1, 2007

himynameisahmed
Feb 28, 2007
"big pimpin since 1986"
i enjoyed the movie, there wasnt alot of action in it, but i like the way they two storys were told.

saw letters from iwo jima today, and i thought it was amazing, much more dramatic.

oh and if them not stoping for the guy who fell of the ship upset you, i wouldnt advise going to see iwo jima !

himynameisahmed fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 7, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juicy paratrooper
Dec 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I have to say there are a lot of people who completely misunderstood this movie thinking it would be a hollywood action thriller or just another gory war movie. I guess it takes the perspective of a serviceman or those related to them to understand what this movie is about. I've read FoF before and it was a biographical account of the flag raisers at Iwo Jima of which three survived and mostly endured tragedy and emotional hardship afterwards. This movie has more in common with Born on the 4th of July than Saving Private Ryan. I believe Clint did a great job showing how the country often treats veterans as disposable heroes or political pawns.

5/5