Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Any strong opinions between Odd Man Out or Night in the City if I was looking to get a noir blind buy from Criterion to go along with High and Low (and thus free shipping)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

I do like Night and the City quite a bit, but haven't seen Odd Man Out.

Basically if you liked Uncut Gems, Night and the City is very much that kind of story, but with wrestling.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Commissar Canuck posted:

Any strong opinions between Odd Man Out or Night in the City if I was looking to get a noir blind buy from Criterion to go along with High and Low (and thus free shipping)?

Both are essential, but Id edge out Odd Man Out as better than Night in the City.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Both are good, but Night and the City is a lot better.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Glad to finally see my final kubrick (spartacus) and it's better than people have made it out to be. But I haven't seen a lot of those sprawling studio period epics of the time so the novelty might be carrying me

Anyone have a workaround on playing CC on hdmi? I'm projecting movies on mute on my neighbor's wall this spring/summer and doing live scoring. Youtube has a lot of old 20-45 minute silent shorts that are conducive to this but the CC versions are always higher quality. Sorry if this isn't a kosher ask but as a card carrying charter subscriber they should let me imo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I think with Spartacus the issue isn't really the quality of the movie, it's that Kubrick basically just did it as a director for hire and really didn't have anywhere close to the amount of input and control over it that he did with his other films. So in his filmography it sticks out as the one that really isn't even identifiable as his work, because it was made as a big studio epic and fits very nicely into that whole niche but doesn't have his usual stamp on it.

My understanding is at that point in Douglas' career, he was basically the director because he made all the important decisions and so they really just had to hire a guy who could handle the technical details without putting much of their own creativity into it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment.

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I think with Spartacus the issue isn't really the quality of the movie, it's that Kubrick basically just did it as a director for hire and really didn't have anywhere close to the amount of input and control over it that he did with his other films. So in his filmography it sticks out as the one that really isn't even identifiable as his work, because it was made as a big studio epic and fits very nicely into that whole niche but doesn't have his usual stamp on it.

My understanding is at that point in Douglas' career, he was basically the director because he made all the important decisions and so they really just had to hire a guy who could handle the technical details without putting much of their own creativity into it.

I think that there's a little bit of Kubrick-ness with Spartacus as the character. He's not outright heroic, there's a little bit more gray than black/white good/evil. But I haven't rewatched my 4k yet, and I'm going off one viewing from 3 years ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

He seems pretty heroic to me, I can't think of any examples of him not doing the straight ahead hero thing.

Anyway you need to watch that UHD, it's like a top-5 must own UHD in my opinion.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

He seems pretty heroic to me, I can't think of any examples of him not doing the straight ahead hero thing.

Anyway you need to watch that UHD, it's like a top-5 must own UHD in my opinion.

I will probably get to it in June, then!

Somewhat related, I keep waffling on The Ten Commandments, cuz I've never seen it before, but iT's A cLaSsIc FoR a ReAsOn.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The scene mentioned here in this cool anecdote felt pretty kubrick

quote:

Among the deleted footage was a bath scene in which the Roman patrician and general Crassus attempts to seduce his slave Antoninus, speaking about the analogy of "eating oysters" and "eating snails" to express his opinion that sexual preference is a matter of taste rather than morality. The four-minute scene had been removed following an objection by the National Legion of Decency.[41] When the film was restored (two years after Olivier's death), the original dialogue recording of this scene was missing; it had to be re-dubbed. Tony Curtis, by then 66, was able to re-record his part, but Crassus's voice was an impersonation of Olivier by Anthony Hopkins,[41] who had been suggested by Olivier's widow, Joan Plowright.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

That's amazing, I knew the basic story about that scene but never heard that it was Hopkins voicing him.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

It's also the best scene in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Thanks for the suggestions, gang. I ended up just getting both because I've yet to be let down by a noir blind buy from criterion. Might as well see if the streak continues!