Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Atlantic City is not Criterion but it's worth checking out too. It's also a DVD you can probably find cheap in a bargain bin somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

goddamn I can't wait for this

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
For some reason B&N doesn't have Chungking Express in stock, which is easily the number one thing I wanted, so I'm gonna go with Stagecoach on bluray, and then Ivan's Childhood and The Last Wave on DVD, both of which I doubt are getting a nicer treatment in the near future.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Would blind buys be recommended for The Music Room, Solaris, Kiss Me Deadly, Blow Out, and Kes?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Would blind buys be recommended for The Music Room, Solaris, Kiss Me Deadly, Blow Out, and Kes?

IMHO: yes, no, no, no and no

I rarely recommend blind buys, but the more people buy Music Room, the more chance there is that Criterion will dig deeper into Ray's work.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
So I'm getting paid tomorrow and I can only afford to choose one. Which one shall I take?

400 Blows -blu
M -blu
Diabolique -blu
Brief Encounter
The Rock
In the Mood For Love
Ratcatcher
The Leopard -blu (blind buy based off the first 5 minutes)
The Battle of Algiers -blu
Secret Honor (blind buy based off my love for Philip Baker Hall)
Youth of the Beast (blind buy based off Branded to Kill/Tokyo Drifter)
If... -blu
House of Games (blind buy based off Mamet love)
Wise Blood (blind buy based off novel)
Kes -blu
Kiss Me Deadly -blu

Egbert Souse posted:

Kiss Me Deadly: loving FUCKITY gently caress YES
Kes: No. I love it, but it's not blind buy material.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
If.... won't be released until August, after the sale, or I'd say that one. Get Diabolique or House of Games.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Dumb question: what's the difference between "essential art house" and Criterion?" Are the transfers the same and the Criterion has more extras?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Friedpundit posted:

So I'm getting paid tomorrow and I can only afford to choose one. Which one shall I take?

400 Blows -blu
M -blu
Diabolique -blu
Brief Encounter
The Rock
In the Mood For Love
Ratcatcher
If... -blu
Kes -blu
Kiss Me Deadly -blu

There are better films on there, but if you love Mamet, there's no reason you won't love House of Games

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Are there any titles that are expected to go OOP in the near future?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

tofes posted:

Dumb question: what's the difference between "essential art house" and Criterion?" Are the transfers the same and the Criterion has more extras?

The Essential series has no extras, save a little essay in the DVD case. From what I can tell, the transfers are the same.

I'm trying to decided between a few to blind buy: Rules of the Game, the Nikkatsu Noir set, Tokyo Story and Seventh Seal. Any suggestions?

barkingclam fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 13, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of those. Rules of the Game is, I think, the least impressive of them, whereas Nikkatsu Noir is very underrated, but you could basically just pick one at random and be thrilled.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nikkatsu Noir is fantastic, and of course I'm gonna root for Seventh Seal.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, can't say no to The Seventh Seal.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
My only thought about Seal is that I've never seen it (anything by Bergman) before, so I'm not sure if I'd be better off getting a used copy of the old 1-disc edition off ebay or something.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

penismightier posted:

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of those. Rules of the Game is, I think, the least impressive of them, whereas Nikkatsu Noir is very underrated, but you could basically just pick one at random and be thrilled.
I'm not going to weigh in on purchasing choices, but I really think La Règle Du Jeu (1939) is one of the few truly great films. I can imagine a time in the future when it is still being watched and discussed long after even the Bergman and Ozu films (which I do not intend to disparage) have faded from the canon. Its one of those films (like, say, Stagecoach (1939) or Raging Bull (1980) that you could just about use as a text to teach someone everything there is to know about filmmaking.

I can definitely see how Renoir's film may or may not `click' with a given audience, but it's absolutely one of the towering monuments in cinema.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

SubG posted:

I'm not going to weigh in on purchasing choices, but I really think La Règle Du Jeu (1939) is one of the few truly great films. I can imagine a time in the future when it is still being watched and discussed long after even the Bergman and Ozu films (which I do not intend to disparage) have faded from the canon. Its one of those films (like, say, Stagecoach (1939) or Raging Bull (1980) that you could just about use as a text to teach someone everything there is to know about filmmaking.

I can definitely see how Renoir's film may or may not `click' with a given audience, but it's absolutely one of the towering monuments in cinema.

I don't disagree with a word of this. But it's still the riskiest blind buy of them all.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Koruthaiolos posted:

Are there any titles that are expected to go OOP in the near future?

Army of Shadows and Le Cercle Rouge are likely to go out of print in the relatively near future, as they're Studio Canal titles.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

You people talking about blind buying stuff should check out Hulu. They've got an assload of Criterions in their newish Criterion only section. Most of the films being mentioned are there.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

penismightier posted:

I don't disagree with a word of this. But it's still the riskiest blind buy of them all.
Fair enough. I was just spazzing the gently caress out over that `least impressive' comment.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

SubG posted:

Fair enough. I was just spazzing the gently caress out over that `least impressive' comment.

Wasn't the best choice of words, but I stand by my point.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Friedpundit posted:

400 Blows -blu
M -blu
Diabolique -blu
Brief Encounter
The Rock
In the Mood For Love
Ratcatcher
If... -blu
Kes -blu
Kiss Me Deadly -blu

M and Secret Honor are both great choices. Not sure if I'd recommend If... though, especially if it's a blind buy. I enjoyed it more on my second time through it, but it's not the kind of film I go around readily recommending to people.

Also, The Rock is awesome. :c00lbert:

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Does anyone have a list of all the coupons currently available? Is there just the %15 off one item and 10% off entire order?

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
If...'s not a blind buy, and while I'm not exactly gnashing at the bit to own it, it's something I'd like to have eventually. My apprehension with blind buying Secret Honor is that I'm very poorly read on Altman. I saw MASH about five years ago and remember next to nothing and that's it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Last Year at Marienbad is also SC.
I'm not as hesitant this year since I found the blind buys of The 400 Blows, The Last Emperor, Repulsion, Trafic, Vampyr, Green for Danger, and Science is Fiction to be fully rewarding.

By the way, they're listing a few OOP titles as in stock: Tati's Trafic, Pierrot Le Fou (DVD and Blu), Peeping Tom, The Fallen Idol, The Small Back Room, Forbidden Games, Le Corbeau, and Grand Illusion. Although, it's possible they're just leftover listings.

I guess I'm going with blind buy Blus of The Music Room, Kiss Me Deadly, and People On Sunday; the Lubitsch Musicals Eclipse; then gift DVDs of Black Narcissus (aunt), Make Way for Tomorrow (uncle), and The Flowers of St. Francis (Mom :)).

Ended up getting: People On Sunday (Blu), The Music Room (Blu), and Lubitsch Musicals (Eclipse), plus The Small Back Room in case they really do have it in stock. Also got DVDs of Black Narcissus and Paths of Glory for my uncle and aunt, but took off Kiss Me Deadly and The Flowers of St. Francis. I'll save KMD for later and I opted out for Flowers because it seems extremely dry from reviews.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 14, 2011

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

FitFortDanga posted:

IMHO: yes, no, no, no and no

I rarely recommend blind buys, but the more people buy Music Room, the more chance there is that Criterion will dig deeper into Ray's work.

Oh shoot I completely forgot to look for Music Room. Looks like I'll have to go back for more :twisted:

I really don't like to blind buy unless it's something by a director that I really like or whatever. I bought today: Night of the Hunter, Close-Up, Taste of Cherry, George Washington, Jeanne Dielman, Mishima, the Pedro Costa set, and the Allan King eclipse set. The only ones I haven't seen are two in the Allan King set and I'm sure that I'll like these.

For Friedpundit my favorites on your list are In the Mood for Love and Wise Blood :)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Well that was a bunch of saved up money gone in less than 10 minutes.

Bought all the Kurosawa blu rays and the The Thin Red Line, to replace my old copies.
Also got a bunch of stuff I never watched: Sweet Smell of Success, Beauty and the Beast, Repulsion, Videodrome, Cronos, Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge, The 400 Blows, Double Life Of Veronique and Charade.(all in BR)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

I opted out for Flowers because it seems extremely dry from reviews.

It's very light and amusing and gentle. I think you would like it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

It's very light and amusing and gentle. I think you would like it.

Well, it's meant for my mother, who likes religious films. I'm opting for just getting the West Side Story Blu since I know it's one of her favorites.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

Well, it's meant for my mother, who likes religious films. I'm opting for just getting the West Side Story Blu since I know it's one of her favorites.

If you want to get her an Italian Criterion religious film get her The Gospel According to St. Matthew.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If you want to get her an Italian Criterion religious film get her The Gospel According to St. Matthew.

They don't have an edition yet. Legend Films put out a disc that's watchable, though. I really want to see it from the clips on YouTube.

By the way, B&N sent an update listing The Small Back Room as ready to ship, so they definitely have some OOP StudioCanal titles on hand.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I nabbed Diabolique, Days of Heaven, and Seven Samurai. I had been waiting a while to upgrade to Blu-Ray for the last two, figured now was the time with 50% off. I'm pretty excited. Diabolique was a blind buy but its exactly the type of movie I love and everybody says its amazing, so hopefully that works out.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 14, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

They don't have an edition yet. Legend Films put out a disc that's watchable, though. I really want to see it from the clips on YouTube.

Huh, I don't know why I thought it was released by Criterion.

So when are this month's announcements coming? Tomorrow or Monday?

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

Egbert Souse posted:

Last Year at Marienbad is also SC.
I'm not as hesitant this year since I found the blind buys of The 400 Blows, The Last Emperor, Repulsion, Trafic, Vampyr, Green for Danger, and Science is Fiction to be fully rewarding.

I am really, really tempted by this. It sounds amazing but is it really worth a purchase? Not that I'm doubting you, I don't really know, but is it something that you can repeat that many viewings of?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Le Woad posted:

I am really, really tempted by this. It sounds amazing but is it really worth a purchase? Not that I'm doubting you, I don't really know, but is it something that you can repeat that many viewings of?

Watch a few on youtube. I can certainly imagine that some people would find them entrancing and could watch them many times but once was enough for me. They're good, for the most part, but watching them got to be a chore and the ones I liked the most were the oddballs of the set.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

So when are this month's announcements coming? Tomorrow or Monday?

Pretty sure it will be tomorrow. They teased a fragment of cover art on Twitter, which the cf.org folks have pegged as Island of Lost Souls.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Watch a few on youtube. I can certainly imagine that some people would find them entrancing and could watch them many times but once was enough for me. They're good, for the most part, but watching them got to be a chore and the ones I liked the most were the oddballs of the set.

Ditto this.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you like educational shorts, though. I would buy a Criterion set of just Jam Handy or Centron films.

I'm hoping for some neat surprises like a title from a studio that normally doesn't license like Lionsgate (those woefully neglected Republic titles) or Warner Bros.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah I've seen a few on youtube, this is kind of what I was thinking though. I've loved what I've seen and I know the production is a lot nicer on the Criterions, but it doesn't seem like it'd be worth it to me.

Cheers to you both.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Le Woad posted:

I think the Sounds of Science soundtrack makes it worth coming back to. It's a fun soundtrack and it makes provides a whole new experience to watching the films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Painleve is one of my all-time favorite DVDs to pop in and rewatch, but I guess nobody else on earth agrees with me. Is 'Something Wild' worth a blind buy? It didn't look super interesting to me, but I've heard strong recommendations.