Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FitFortDanga posted:

As usual, my take...

Fanny and Alexander - Duh. Just look at my avatar.

Rules - Not wild about it, but I like it a lot. But since Netflix is no longer an option for Criterion Blu-Rays, I'll probably just skip it.

Three Colors - Well, I'm definitely buying it, that's a no-brainer. The question is whether or not to hold on to the old Miramax DVDs. These are missing the wonderful Insdorf commentaries and some of the shorts, maybe some other stuff too.

Rushmore - No brainer.

12 Angry Men - Mmmmmmmaybe. I don't go crazy for it like a lot of people do, but it is really good.

Sabu! - Looks like it might be fun, rental
My reactions are almost exactly the opposite. La Règle Du Jeu (1939) isn't just one of the great films, it's one that I feel like I get something out of each viewing, so getting a higher definition version is really welcome. Sabu is cool, and unlike the rest of these films, I don't get the `been there, done that' feel from the films in the Sabu box. Has there even been a R1 release of Elephant Boy (1937) post-VHS?

Criterion putting out more Bergman is always good, but it's like more Criterion Kurosawa. It's nice to get them, but I find it difficult to get that excited about films which are so drat familiar and which are already available. Not to say that Criterion should only release obscure films or anything like that. I'm just saying it's easier for me to look forward to a release of something that I don't already have a copy of on my shelf and/or haven't seen in the past couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not like there are non-Criterion versions of the 5-hour F&A, though. Although I couldn't not be excited for it because I consider it basically the best film I've ever seen

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bown posted:

It's not like there are non-Criterion versions of the 5-hour F&A, though. Although I couldn't not be excited for it because I consider it basically the best film I've ever seen
Yes, and when the Criterion DVDs containing the television cut were released---what, six years ago?---that was something I looked forward to, as I had never seen that cut. Now I feel like I've watched the film about as many times as I need to. It's undeniably a beautiful film; it's just not one that I feel like I can keep returning to, unlike say Viskningar Och Rop/Cries and Whispers (1972), despite the fact it might be considered a lesser film.

Like I said, this isn't an argument against the films themselves; I don't have anything in particular to say against any of the films just announced. I'm more or less just thinking out loud about my (apparently increasing) ambivalence to a lot of the Criterion catalogue.

Which I think might have a lot to do with the increasing availability of just about everything. Back in the bad old days of VHS and broadcast television it was much more difficult to see much outside of mainstream Hollywood releases and the occasional old chestnuts. Even in the early years of DVD things were likely to come into and then back out of print and then become nearly impossible to obtain/view in any format. These days there are just a lot more options---things like Netflix and Hulu and so on, easy availability of releases from all over the world, and so forth. And while there's still variability between different releases of a given film, it's been a long time since I found myself having to worry whether I could locate a copy of Seven Samurai (or whatever) that isn't pan-and-scan and dubbed.

So while I'm definitely in favour of Criterion doing a blu of the Kieslowski trilogy, it's not like the fact that a Criterion blu of it doesn't already exist had exactly been praying on my mind. If the films had been unavailable or were out there only in unwatchably terrible transfers or something I'd be more enthusiastic.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, great picks for both reissues and new. I'm going to eventually upgrade The Rules of the Game and the Sabu collection looks fun. Three Colors is one that's on my "discount" list since I really liked Red.

I'm surprised Criterion got 12 Angry Men. It seemed like a title that MGM would release on their own since a special edition was put out a few years ago. Either way, an absolutely essential film.

Rushmore is my least favorite Anderson film, but I might try it out again. Good to see Disney is still licensing to Criterion.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Rick Deckard posted:

Looks like they are setting up for Christmas!

Some of this sounds more like Christmas is in November for Criterion

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm looking forward to 12 Angry Men, it's one of my favorites. I had no idea there was a television version, so it'll be neat to how the two compare.

Is Rules worth the upgrade? I'm not really seeing a difference, save the new art.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
This is typical of Criterion. They release months of stuff that I'm not interested in, then boom, I want everything from one slate. November's going to hurt.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

barkingclam posted:

Is Rules worth the upgrade? I'm not really seeing a difference, save the new art.

The picture quality. It will be worth it.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Any word on who did the cover for 12 Angry Men? It looks like Sean Phillips, but he already did Blast of Silence so that seems unlikely.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

McNutty posted:

Any word on who did the cover for 12 Angry Men? It looks like Sean Phillips, but he already did Blast of Silence so that seems unlikely.

Designers, uh, are allowed to do more than one cover for them.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

kaujot posted:

Designers, uh, are allowed to do more than one cover for them.

Well yeah but Phillips is a comic books artist. Most of the comic guys they have use like Allred, Seth, Hernandez, Cooke have only done one outing. Although I just remembered Phillips did Sweet Smell of Success as well.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

barkingclam posted:

I'm looking forward to 12 Angry Men, it's one of my favorites. I had no idea there was a television version, so it'll be neat to how the two compare.

There was a more modern TV version made in 1997 that was directed by William Friedkin of all people.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sad they changed the cover for The Rules of the Game, the new one is really ugly.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Best I can think of so far is Matador, but that really doesn't explain the shirt and tie.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Seems like a standard torero outfit.

Would love to see Almodovar in Criterion (could be Talk to Her as well, but less likely).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

bmmello posted:

Seems like a standard torero outfit.

For some reason it didn't register with me that they usually wear ties. Still, seems like an odd choice for the first Almodovar. Would much rather have Talk to Her, Nervous Breakdown, or All About My Mother.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Rosi's The Moment of Truth perhaps?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The Matador starring Pierce Brosnan.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Bulworth.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Bull Durham

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Best I can think of so far is Matador, but that really doesn't explain the shirt and tie.

A cow. Satantango!

...yeah right. :sigh:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I really want it to be a confirmation of Y tu mamá también.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

i am not so sure posted:

The Matador starring Pierce Brosnan.

This would be incredible.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I really want it to be a confirmation of Y tu mamá también.
Wasn't the wedding a matador themed wedding? Could be. Probably has to be next month if they're going to honor the graphic they made of all of the titles to be released in the next year since the next announce day is December's slate.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm pretty sure it was.

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
Jamón, jamón perhaps? I'd love to see it get a decent release.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Criterion just posted this on Facebook. Apparently it's Godzilla.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Kinda wish Criterion would focus more on things that have never made it to America before

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

zandert33 posted:

Kinda wish Criterion would focus more on things that have never made it to America before

I'm skeptical about this, it doesn't make sense for them to put out Godzilla, there was just a really great DVD of it a few years ago.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

penismightier posted:

I'm skeptical about this, it doesn't make sense for them to put out Godzilla, there was just a really great DVD of it a few years ago.

Maybe it's the 1984(5) version.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hasn't the Bluray of Godzilla been derided as being low quality?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Rialto re-released the uncut "Godzilla" theatrically about 10 years ago. The DVD that Classic Media put out is good but PAL-sourced, with all the picture flaws that comes with. The Blu-Ray (same company iirc) very quickly went to bargain prices because everyone found out it was just an upconverted DVD. Criterion could do wonders with it, and they were actually on course to do laserdisc releases of a handful of "Godzilla" titles back in the 90s.

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005
Not to mention "Godzilla" is already on their Hulu Plus channel.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Zogo posted:

Hasn't the Bluray of Godzilla been derided as being low quality?

The American one, yes.

A large chunk of the Godzilla series has already received a good release in Japan on Blu-Ray. Only problem is they don't have English subtitles.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1181538

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
The essay that comes with The Killing is probably one of the worst I've read in a while, and it actually started to make me angry enough by the last paragraph that I almost didn't finish it. Half of it is trying to justify the movie by making (frequently strained) connections to characters, events, techniques in other, more well-known movies. That is unnecessary; this is a great movie, talk about this movie! And I hate the lazy incest of the "this film is about film-making" interpretation that gets thrown in.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Mustach posted:

The essay that comes with The Killing is probably one of the worst I've read in a while, and it actually started to make me angry enough by the last paragraph that I almost didn't finish it. Half of it is trying to justify the movie by making (frequently strained) connections to characters, events, techniques in other, more well-known movies. That is unnecessary; this is a great movie, talk about this movie! And I hate the lazy incest of the "this film is about film-making" interpretation that gets thrown in.

It's a problem with a lot of Kubrick essays, The Shining and FMJ get this a lot too (some don't even loving mention that FMJ is a huge homage to Peckinpah).

On Godzilla, I've never paid much attention to Japanese monster films but I'd go after the Criterion edition in a second. I'd love to hear more about the origins of the "Nuclear Age" Japanese figures even though I don't care about the movies themselves.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Mustach posted:

The essay that comes with The Killing is probably one of the worst I've read

Have you read the one included with House?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I like that one! It's not analytical, but I like the writing style and think it gives a good history and context for the movie.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

SneakySneaks posted:

It's a problem with a lot of Kubrick essays, The Shining and FMJ get this a lot too (some don't even loving mention that FMJ is a huge homage to Peckinpah).

Can you point me to some of those essays that do? I love Peckinpah and I love Kubrick, so naturally I'm interested in one's influence on the other. I never made that connection before but I can sort of see it now. Example being how, as critics have stated, Peckinpah used slow motion as a tool to examine in detail death and violence; showing them in all their horror and Kubrick's similar use of it in FMJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Can you point me to some of those essays that do? I love Peckinpah and I love Kubrick, so naturally I'm interested in one's influence on the other. I never made that connection before but I can sort of see it now. Example being how, as critics have stated, Peckinpah used slow motion as a tool to examine in detail death and violence; showing them in all their horror and Kubrick's similar use of it in FMJ.

It's been years since I last read the things. I know one of the guys is on The Shining DVD Commentary (John Baxter) and he states his opinions in the special features as well. The best analysis of FMJ is actually the current blu-ray commentary (by Jay Cocks). Personally I think the best Kubrick essays are from other filmmakers. For Peckinpah read some of Elvis Mitchell and Roger Ebert movie reviews and commentary pieces. The blu-ray (dvd) commentary on The Wild Bunch is awesome if you like Peckinpah (look for Paul Seydor and Garner Simmons stuff too), also if you can find the dvd somewhere the Criterion Straw Dogs dvd has a great documentary on his life and a great commentary that takes an in depth look about Peckinpah's view of sexuality and masculinity.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 26, 2011