Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I am madly in love with the menu screen for Island of Lost Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Show us! I love Criterion menus, particularly for Blu-Ray. The one for Chungking Express is wonderful.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Show us! I love Criterion menus, particularly for Blu-Ray. The one for Chungking Express is wonderful.

Not sure how, I got no Blu-Ray drive on my computer so I can't get screenshots. Besides, you kinda gotta see it in motion. It's in the style of the cover, with some cool trippy close-ups of Lugosi in there.

Hey, it's on youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYau5_yVhmU#t=3m46s

penismightier fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 17, 2011

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I know it looks exactly like the poster, but the World on a Wire cover is hands down the best one Criterion has put in months.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Newsletter clue this month looks like it's gonna be Being John Malkovich. Too much to hope that they also got access to Adaptation?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

kaujot posted:

Newsletter clue this month looks like it's gonna be Being John Malkovich.

Meh. 2012 is looking like kind of a dud year so far (at least as far as titles I would buy).

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

kaujot posted:

Newsletter clue this month looks like it's gonna be Being John Malkovich. Too much to hope that they also got access to Adaptation?
Doubt it. Adaptation just came out on blu. Port of the DVD I'm pretty sure.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Island of Lost Souls update: Richard Stanley is loving insufferable.

Also, Being John Malkovich? Bummer...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jeffrey Wells has another internet tantrum about aspect ratios

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Being John Malkovich is fantastic :colbert:

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who's excited for it...if it is the movie being teased.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

This is hilarious.

Who the hell equates matting with a lack of moral fiber?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Aorist posted:

This is hilarious.

Who the hell equates matting with a lack of moral fiber?

Jeffrey Wells, apparently. Even Googling a little bit about the film's aspect ratio points to Criterion being correct. :downs:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

As idiotic as citing the cover of Sony's 2000 DVD is, I have to say the 1.85 framing doesn't look right. But I could also find scenes that make the 4:3 ratio look off as well. Is it possible the film should be 1.66?
I mean, this shot doesn't look so hot in 4:3 but it'd be even more awkward in 1.85 if that's done by cropping down.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

As idiotic as citing the cover of Sony's 2000 DVD is, I have to say the 1.85 framing doesn't look right. But I could also find scenes that make the 4:3 ratio look off as well. Is it possible the film should be 1.66?
I mean, this shot doesn't look so hot in 4:3 but it'd be even more awkward in 1.85 if that's done by cropping down.

It's comparing editions rather than determining which is right. But it's mainly a matter of original prints being shown at 1.85:1 per projection specs (reliable) and the fact it's Criterion and Sony behind this.

I don't think many realize how quick the transition from 1.37:1 to widescreen occurred at the major US studios. Columbia is a good example, with even the Three Stooges shorts being shot for 1.85:1 starting in early 1953.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Boy am I love the blu ray of Island of Lost Souls. I had never seen it before, but goddamn if it isn't terrific. The make-up is so disturbing, and the cinematography is great. Such a perfect use of shadows, especially when the subhumans are walking away from the doctor's house. Charles Laughton is great in it as well. The blu-ray has some great features on it as well. There's an interview on it with the members of Devo that's really fascinating, and their early music videos are included in HD as well.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Boy am I love the blu ray of Island of Lost Souls. I had never seen it before, but goddamn if it isn't terrific. The make-up is so disturbing, and the cinematography is great. Such a perfect use of shadows, especially when the subhumans are walking away from the doctor's house. Charles Laughton is great in it as well. The blu-ray has some great features on it as well. There's an interview on it with the members of Devo that's really fascinating, and their early music videos are included in HD as well.

Did you watch the John Landis/Bob Burns/Rick Baker interview? It's dizzying to listen to those guys talk about film.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ratedargh posted:

Being John Malkovich is fantastic :colbert:

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who's excited for it...if it is the movie being teased.

You are not. It's my least favourite Kaufman that I've seen but it's still really good and very funny.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

penismightier posted:

Island of Lost Souls update: Richard Stanley is loving insufferable.

Also, Being John Malkovich? Bummer...

You mean Richard Arlen? Yeah, he does suck. It's funny to hear Baker/Landis/Burns praising him. He just stands around with his hands in his pockets smiling and delivering stilted lines. At least Laughton is amazing. In fact, Arlen is the only thing I didn't love about Island of Lost Souls. I can't believe this movie isn't more famous than it is.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

caiman posted:

You mean Richard Arlen? Yeah, he does suck. It's funny to hear Baker/Landis/Burns praising him. He just stands around with his hands in his pockets smiling and delivering stilted lines. At least Laughton is amazing. In fact, Arlen is the only thing I didn't love about Island of Lost Souls. I can't believe this movie isn't more famous than it is.

No, Arlen's alright, I mean Richard Stanley of the 1996 version, who's interviewed at length in another extra. He's a chump.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

penismightier posted:

No, Arlen's alright, I mean Richard Stanley of the 1996 version, who's interviewed at length in another extra. He's a chump.

Oh yeah, that guy. Yeah he's a bit full of himself.

I really didn't like Arlen either.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

caiman posted:

Oh yeah, that guy. Yeah he's a bit full of himself.

I don't trust a man with a British accent and a cowboy hat.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Just a heads up, Amazon's Black Friday deals has Seven Samurai as one of the deals. Not sure what the price will be, but if you somehow don't get it as part of the Barnes and Noble deal, you may want to gamble on Amazon's price.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

penismightier posted:

"Hardware" and "Dust Devil" are both inventive little horror movies, but he does come across as a bit of a tool in that and other interviews, kinda Alan Moore-lite. According to a friend he's a nice guy with plenty of bizarre anecdotes to throw around. I'd actually love to see a feature documentary on his "Moreau", kinda like "Lost in La Mancha".

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I stood there in the store trying to decide between Chungking Express and Fanny & Alexander for a while until I just said "gently caress it" and got them both. This sale is both a blessing and a curse.

And boy howdy, am I glad I live in a city that has a Barnes & Noble store w/ movies. I did their shipping last July and it was such poo poo.

e: Apparently whenever I want to watch F&A I'm going to have to open it up and think about FitFortDanga because his avatar is staring me right in the face.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 19, 2011

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I stood there in the store trying to decide between Chungking Express and Fanny & Alexander for a while until I just said "gently caress it" and got them both. This sale is both a blessing and a curse.

And boy howdy, am I glad I live in a city that has a Barnes & Noble store w/ movies. I did their shipping last July and it was such poo poo.

e: Apparently whenever I want to watch F&A I'm going to have to open it up and think about FitFortDanga because his avatar is staring me right in the face.

Good decision. Gonna pick up Chungking and Three Colors this weekend.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm pretty bummed that I can't afford this sale what with all the amazing releases lately.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm pretty bummed that I can't afford this sale what with all the amazing releases lately.

I can't afford nearly all I want but I'll still come away with a good haul.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I only had enough money for one movie, so I didn't even enter the store. I had to send my friend in to get Island of Lost Souls because I knew there's no way I'd have walked out with less than 5 movies.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

penismightier posted:

I only had enough money for one movie, so I didn't even enter the store. I had to send my friend in to get Island of Lost Souls because I knew there's no way I'd have walked out with less than 5 movies.

Good call, because seeing Last Year at Marienbad and The Wages of Fear just beckoning for me was excruciating.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm kinda glad I only have a debit card, if I had credit I'd probably have already picked up F&A and El Norte and 3 Women and Chungking Express and Seven Samurai and like six others I can't even think of and then I'd really be in trouble.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The Wages of Fear

Fuuuu, how did this escape my list of rereleases to buy this sale? Welp, once more into the breach.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm kinda glad I only have a debit card, if I had credit I'd probably have already picked up F&A and El Norte and 3 Women and Chungking Express and Seven Samurai and like six others I can't even think of and then I'd really be in trouble.

Dude, I have a debit card and I used it to buy The Battle of Algiers, Days of Heaven, House, Naked, Night of the Hunter, Pierrot le fou, The Thin Red Line, and the Three Colors trilogy. Trust me, a debit card don't mean poo poo. :smith:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Debit cards are no help when staring at 50% off Criterions. Though if I hadn't gone to a few B&N to poke around I probably would have spent a lot less.

I blame the 20% and 25% off coupons they sent though, I probably wouldn't have gone in the store without them. I decided to use them towards picking up Eclipse sets but couldn't make up my mind looking around online.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The new Branded to Kill blu-ray looks absolutely gorgeous: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare11/brandedtokill.htm

Such a drastic improvement over the DVD.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I was a poor sap with a Borders Rewards Plus membership, and B&N has periodically sent me e-mails with coupons trying to console me or whatever. I just got one for 40% off one item. I feel like it would be stupid not to use it on something expensive-- is the BBS Story set good?

On another note, I saw World on a Wire theatrically earlier this year, and it's great. Made me obsessed with Fleetwood Mac's "Albatross."

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

My wallet hates me:

amazon.com sale
Carlos Saura’s Flamenco Trilogy Eclipse Set, Le Trou, Quai Des Orfevres, Peeping Tom

B&N sale - [further proof that just a debit card in your possession means nothing]
Classe Tous Risques, Pickpocket, Elevator to the Gallows, The Testament of Dr Mabuse, Hiroshima Mon Amour, A Woman Under the Influence, Nikkatsu Noir Eclipse Set, White Mane [for $6.99 - why not], High and Low (blu), Island of Lost Souls (blu),The Phantom Carriage (blu),Yi Yi (blu)

What a haul.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
I only really wanted to get Carlos and Island of Lost Souls, but ended up with both of those plus For All Mankind, Che, Nikkatsu Noir, Paris Texas, The Battle of Algiers, and Blow Out. My will power sucks. I was helpless.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

VoodooXT posted:

Trust me, a debit card don't mean poo poo. :smith:

I don't have any income right now so if I blew all my money on Criterions I wouldn't be able to eat for like a week and a half. So there.

I guess I could just eat the booklets.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I guess I could just eat the booklets.

These movies are cinematic feasts! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!