Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Defiantly interested in checking out A Night to Remember. I haven't seen it in over 10 years, but I remember liking it. It will be nice to see it again since all I remember about it is that the ship sinks.

I absolutely love The Cranes are Flying, so I am defiantly going to check out Letter Never Sent, but it basically being a $30 Essential Art House release is the only thing keeping me from making it a blind buy.

I'm interested in the Lean/Coward movies, but particularly Brief Encounter. Is there any indication that they are going to be released individually, or is it that if you want one you have to get them all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

A Letter Never Sent is on Hulu Plus for anyone who has that, might be available for regular users too, for those who want to check it out before buying.

And I am all over A Night to Remember, love that goddamn movie.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Wilhelm Scream posted:

A Letter Never Sent is on Hulu Plus for anyone who has that, might be available for regular users too, for those who want to check it out before buying.

It's on Hulu for subscribing users only, but the whole thing is up for free on youtube. Apparently Mosfilm has a whole channel with loads of movies and it seems that most of them have englush subtitles via the caption translator. This may be old news, but I never knew about it until now and am just imagining the hours I am going to lose watching random Soviet films. Most of the titles listed are only in Russian, but I guess that is what google translate is for.

Mosfilm - http://www.youtube.com/user/mosfilm

Letter Never Sent - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U-_rgB30gs

Here are links to some of the other ones there that y'all might like.

Andrei Rublev - http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3D1PAhbcy8mP4
Stalker - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYEfJhkPK7o
Solaris - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG9Anstjlro&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fmosfilm%3Ffeature%3Dwatch
Ivan's Childhood - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-cOMy9k-6s
Kin-Dza-Dza! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I47CNxwlt9U
Dersu Uzala - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1MmSjMofOY

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
Blithe Spirit in HD! In R1! Shame it's in a box set, though. As much as I dig early Lean, Blithe Spirit makes a fantastic start to a tonally-similar triple feature, followed by Asquith's Importance of Being Earnest and ending with Cold Comfort Farm (which oughta have a Criterion edition). Best start saving pennies for the next B&N half-off sale, I guess.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Haha what were the chances that James Carville and George Stephanopoulos would ever grace the cover of a Criterion release. Letter Never Sent seems pretty swag and has a solid cover. Lean/Coward is probably a purchase for me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How is Kuoneko? I saw it in HMV today and saw it was a Criterion film, and I've wanted to get into this collection for a while.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Does anybody have the Chris Marker set with La jetee and Sans Soleil? I've been thinking about picking that one up: I enjoyed the documentary Marker did about Ran (AK, I think it was called) and want to see more of his films. Would anybody recommend it?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

barkingclam posted:

Does anybody have the Chris Marker set with La jetee and Sans Soleil? I've been thinking about picking that one up: I enjoyed the documentary Marker did about Ran (AK, I think it was called) and want to see more of his films. Would anybody recommend it?

If you liked AK then there's little doubt you can get into his other stuff, though fair warning, Sans Soleil is definitely less grounded and more cerebral, but amazing. If you have a blu-ray player wait 'til it gets released on February.

Also, not Criterion, but seeing as I get kind of giddy when someone mentions they like Marker, you should see about renting The Last Bolshevik, which is similar to AK insofar as it's about a fascinating filmmaker.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How is Kuoneko? I saw it in HMV today and saw it was a Criterion film, and I've wanted to get into this collection for a while.

It's very good, although a bit more fantastic and understated than 'Onibaba.'

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Pointless Criterion-related trivia: in the opening minutes of Something Wild, Lulu and Charles drive by Film Forum then located on Watts St. Playing at the time, according to the marquee? Routine Pleasures, contained in the upcoming Jean-Pierre Gorin Eclipse set!

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Does anyone know why Showboat (1936) isn't in the Paul Robeson box? (I assume it's a rights issue, because Criterion released Showboat on laserdisc.)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Does anyone know why Showboat (1936) isn't in the Paul Robeson box? (I assume it's a rights issue, because Criterion released Showboat on laserdisc.)

MGM bought the rights to the 1929 and 1936 versions from Universal to make their version in 1951. All three are part of the Turner library now owned by Warner. They were supposed to release a DVD set with all three versions back in 2001.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

MGM bought the rights to the 1929 and 1936 versions from Universal to make their version in 1951. All three are part of the Turner library now owned by Warner. They were supposed to release a DVD set with all three versions back in 2001.

But at least one other of the films in the Robeson box was licensed from Warner, no? And it came out long after 2001.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion posted a shot from Thief on their FB!! YES!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

FitFortDanga posted:

loving finally, the only chance I've had of watching Thief was an edited for television version at 2:00 AM. And I couldn't do that.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Please tell me they're using the theatrical cut and not that weird 'director's cut' where Mann sped up all the slo-mo shots at the end.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DVDBeaver tells me that the TV version of Fanny & Alexander on the new blu-ray is just one massive long film and not split into the four chapters of the DVD. Could anyone confirm this?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Bown posted:

DVDBeaver tells me that the TV version of Fanny & Alexander on the new blu-ray is just one massive long film and not split into the four chapters of the DVD. Could anyone confirm this?

It's definitely split up - there are credits after each section and a new title and the beginning of each. You can play them all in a row at once but the credits and such are still there.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
I've been holding off watching the whole of Fanny and Alexander until closer to Christmas. I just finished the second episode and the only thing I noticed was a slight stutter in the video when the camera pans through the room during Oskar's death. Anyone else notice this?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FitFortDanga posted:

Never mind... it turned out to be a shot from Hollis Frampton's Winter Solstice.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

FitFortDanga posted:

Never mind... it turned out to be a shot from Hollis Frampton's Winter Solstice.

Tease. :mad:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Hated Zorn's Lemma but liked the other two Frampton film's I've seen so I'm curious to see what will be in the set. Nice to see more experimental films besides Brakhage in the collection, even if I end up not caring for them.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Certified Copy is on Netflix Instant. Is that a clue that it's an April title?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Certified Copy is on Netflix Instant. Is that a clue that it's an April title?

They already said they're not releasing it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They'll be dropping another massive New Year sketch tomorrow. They teased a piece of it on their FB page, with clear hints for Weekend (meh), Quadrophenia (yay!!!) and Harold and Maude (yeah okay) and something to do with Coney Island (???).

edit: cf.org is pegging the Coney Island sign as Lonesome, which I never heard of but it looks good

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 31, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just watched De Palma's Blow Out. I really liked 3/4ths of it, but the climax is just so over the top and goofy that it took what good will I had for the film and just tossed it all away.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I don't know about that. Yeah the car driving sequence was a little over the top, but the ending though was absolutely chilling. The very notion of hearing the woman you are trying to save dying in your ear because of something you forced her into just had me so freaked out. Plus, John Lithgow was amazing, and I need to see more films where he plays the villain.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

FitFortDanga posted:

edit: cf.org is pegging the Coney Island sign as Lonesome, which I never heard of but it looks good
Lonesome is pretty short for a disc all on its own.

My guess/hope is still The Little Fugitive.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
For Christmas I got:

Last Year at Marienbad
The Darjeeling Limited
Black Narcissus
The Thin Red Line
Fanny and Alexander

I just watched Marienbad for the first time. :psyduck: that was quite an experience. I liked it but wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

They'll be dropping another massive New Year sketch tomorrow. They teased a piece of it on their FB page, with clear hints for Weekend (meh), Quadrophenia (yay!!!) and Harold and Maude (yeah okay) and something to do with Coney Island (???).

The threesome is Y Tu Mama Tambien and the billboard is Eating Raoul.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Are they implying the Samurai Trilogy with those three samurai? I love that first one.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

robix smash posted:

Lonesome is pretty short for a disc all on its own.

The Most Dangerous Game is the same length. I think it would just fall under the lower pricing level if they released Lonesome.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

robix smash posted:

God that would be the best. I once wrote them an email telling them to release The Little Fugitive.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

dancehall posted:

I just watched Marienbad for the first time. :psyduck: that was quite an experience. I liked it but wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know.

It's a good film if you're into cinematic studies and art - but yeah, I don't think I'll watch it again any time soon.

I've been lazy about my Criterion watching the past few months thanks to work, time to go justify my NetFlix subscription over New Years break.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Over the past couple weeks I picked up Fanny and Alexander from the recommendations in this thread. Haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet, since it's around five hours long. Grabbed the Nikkatsu Noir set too, which I've been enjoying (Take Aim at the Police Van especially).

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

SneakySneaks posted:

The threesome is Y Tu Mama Tambien and the billboard is Eating Raoul.

Is Eating Raoul confirmed anywhere? I would love for it to be in the collection.

EDIT: To clarify, have they mentioned the movie before anywhere?

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 2, 2012

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Dangerous Person posted:

Is Eating Raoul confirmed anywhere? I would love for it to be in the collection.

EDIT: To clarify, have they mentioned the movie before anywhere?

It's been running with Janus Films slates on TV. I think that's as close to a confirmation as possible.

But the wacky image drawing is ripped from the poster and is extremely recognizable.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I'm assuming the marionette is Being John Malkovich? I was thinking we'd already heard those rumors for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

ClydeUmney posted:

I'm assuming the marionette is Being John Malkovich? I was thinking we'd already heard those rumors for a bit.

Yeah, somebody posted a screen on CriterionForum that cinches it.