Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
It's kind of a surprising revelation because Lynch and Criterion could never get along or something which is why the DVD release of Eraserhead never materialised after being hinted at for ages.

I hope this is a sign that this has turned around because I sure would kill for some more Lynch films on Criterion. Apparently the recent Bluray box set in the UK poo poo the bed in terms of quality and in the US it seems nobody gives a poo poo outside of Blue Velvet or Dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
629:

630-633:

634:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Glad they didn't mess with this too much. Great poster.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

It's also cool that they went back in time to get Basquiat to design the Pasolini box.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Please let this not be a hoax. http://blog.criterioncast.com/post/27348172802/looks-like-well-be-getting-a-blu-ray-for-in-the

Looks like we’ll be getting a Blu-ray for In The Mood For Love from Criterion this October.

Disc Features
High-definition digital restoration, approved by cinematographer Mark Lee Ping-bin, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
@ “In the Mood for Love,” director Wong Kar-wai’s documentary on the making of the film
Deleted scenes with director’s commentary
Hua yang de nian hua (2000), a short film by Wong
Archival interview with Wong and a “cinema lesson” given by the director at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival
Toronto International Film Festival press conference from 2000, with stars Maggie Cheung Man-yuk and Tony Leung Chiu-wai
Trailers and TV spots
The music of In the Mood for Love, presented in an interactive essay, on the DVD edition
Essay by film scholar Gina Marchetti illuminating the film’s unique setting on the DVD edition
Photo gallery on the DVD edition
Biographies of key cast and crew on the DVD edition
Two new interviews with critic Tony Rayns, one about the film and the other about the soundtrack, on the Blu-ray edition
Plus: A booklet featuring the Liu Yi-chang story that provided thematic inspiration for the film, an essay by film critic Li Cheuk-to, and a director’s statement (DVD edition); a booklet featuring an essay by novelist and film critic Steve Erickson and the Liu Yi-chang story that provided thematic inspiration for the film (Blu-ray edition)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Not a hoax.

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 16, 2012

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Criterion's webpage has an "October Titles" thing on their big flash bumper but the coming-soon titles haven't been updated. "John Schlesinger's groundbreaking love triangle, a startling new drama set in Albania, plus one devil baby in time for Halloween. Also, In The Mood for Blu-Ray?"

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
The Forgiveness of Blood, maybe for the Albanian one? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1787127/

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Weakness overcame me and I decided to pick up a couple more Criterions at my local B&N. Harold and Maude and Hunger. Man I had forgotten what an uncomfortable movie Hunger is. Seriously difficult to watch.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Wow, I actually called The Forgiveness of Blood. I always guess Criterions wrong. http://blog.criterioncast.com/post/27351925655/the-forgiveness-of-blood

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Looks like they're all up, you can see for yourself here.

I haven't seen any of these except Rosemary's Baby. Have wanted to see Sunday Bloody Sunday, will rent that and Forgiveness and the Gainsborough set. As for RB, that's a possible buy but I don't think I love it enough. I need to save money for a while, and my collection is getting out of hand lately.

EDIT: forgot about ITMFL. Probably not gonna buy that either, not as big on WKW as I used to be.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 16, 2012

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
The stuff is up. We're also getting Eclipse Series 36: Three Wicked Melodramas from Gainsborough Pictures (The Man in Gray, Madonna of the Seven Moons, The Wicked Lady)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

At first I was put off by the cover for Rosemary's Baby being identical to the old one I've seen my whole life. But after a moment's thought I decided there's no reason for Criterion to change covers just for the sake of it. That cover is fantastic and Criterion would be hard pressed to come up with anything better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Spines 630-633 aren't listed so I wonder if these are coming another month or will show up later in the day.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Wow, the Forgiveness of Blood cover is excellent.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Where's the Pasolini? I see a jump from #629 to #634, which would accommodate the Life Trilogy, so I've got my fingers crossed.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

From Twitter: "We'll be posting most of our Oct slate on Facebook in just a bit -- one major announcement has to wait until later this week!"

edit: nm, that's Kino's twitter

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wow, the Forgiveness of Blood cover is excellent.

It's also an incredible film, would've been my favourite of last year if Rango hadn't come along. You need to see this film.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Got my Hunger and World on a Wire blus in the mail today. Can't wait to have the time to actually watch them.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

With rosemary, think The Tenant is going to get released?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
They've arrived. :smithicide:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
If I bring pizza can I come over?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Honestly, yes.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
I just bought World On A Wire and The Samurai Trilogy. My only B&N ran out of copies of Godzilla, once I get that I think that's all I'll pick up this sale.

Ross Perowned fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 17, 2012

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I'm proud of myself for being restrained this sale around. Picked up Blu-Rays of the Samurai Trilogy, Design for Living and the Organizer and plan to not buy anything else :toot:

And I'm really excited for In The Mood For Love on BRD later this year.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I am broke as poo poo right now, so I really could only budget for one criterion, but I ended up getting Branded To Kill. I have been told Tokyo Drifter is a bit more accessible, but I am defiantly willing to take a chance on this film.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm breaking. I think I might go for the BBS set tomorrow if my B&N still has it. I have no self control.

BarryMantlesnorks
Nov 14, 2005
My order of Rushmore, The Darjeeling Limited, Three Colors Trilogy, Wings of Desire, and Night of the Hunter should arrive tomorrow! I blind bought Three Colors and Wings of Desire, really excited to watch them. Good thing I don't work tomorrow and it's going to be about 100 degrees out, that way I won't feel bad about staying inside.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

leokitty posted:

I'm proud of myself for being restrained this sale around. Picked up Blu-Rays of the Samurai Trilogy, Design for Living and the Organizer and plan to not buy anything else :toot:

And I'm really excited for In The Mood For Love on BRD later this year.

I really want to see CC put out 2046 - honestly I liked this movie much better than In the Mood for Love.

Actually, it'd be nice if Criterion would pick up more Chinese (Hong Kong and mainland) and Korean films. There's a lot of good stuff out there.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

BarryMantlesnorks posted:

My order of Rushmore, The Darjeeling Limited, Three Colors Trilogy, Wings of Desire, and Night of the Hunter should arrive tomorrow! I blind bought Three Colors and Wings of Desire, really excited to watch them. Good thing I don't work tomorrow and it's going to be about 100 degrees out, that way I won't feel bad about staying inside.

Those are both really good blind buys, you won't be disappointed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Got paid today, which means Godzilla, 12 Angry Men, The Lady Vanishes, and Blow Out are on the way from bn.com.

Watched Anatomy of A Murder last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great film.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Got paid today, which means Godzilla, 12 Angry Men, The Lady Vanishes, and Blow Out are on the way from bn.com.

I just watched Blow Out last night. Great movie.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Can I come too? With that haul, I'll chip in some quality scotch.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's amazing, and it's quite shocking how scathing it is of the legal system and not just "for it's time" either. Even nowadays, most legal dramas have the main protagonist either be fighting for the "good" side or he thinks he is and that turns out to be the surprise twist. This film portrays everyone as having their own agenda and all witness testimony to be pretty useless.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, Anatomy Of A Murder is kind of incredible in that regard. It still stands out as one of the Great Courtroom Dramas for how unstuffy it is.

Also, just picked up 3 Women today and will probably grab Fanny & Alexander this weekend.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I went back and forth over it, but I ended up getting the BBS set, plus I ordered both The Night of the Hunter and Kagemusha. I've seen Night before (and loved it), but I'm interested in seeing the documentary and huge collection of outtakes and behind the scenes footage on the other disc. And I'm a sucker for Kurosawa's stuff, so I think I'll like Kagemusha.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I think I might be the only person who prefers Kagemusha over Ran although that's mainly because of its historical basis. Also I can't bring myself to buy Night of the Hunter. I think I would find the extras more inticing if I were to buy it than the film itself (it's a great movie but I don't love it).

I think I'll pick up another 2 or 3 titles before the sale is over (when is that again?...) But right now loving Steam is busy taking all my money.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 18, 2012

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm on a tight budget at the moment, so I settled for Paris, Texas and Seven Samurai. I could have gone for blind buys but I decided to go with two movies I already love.

Wyllt
May 6, 2009
I work at B&N and this sale is literally going to bankrupt me. I spend my breaks looking through the Criterion section and trying to reason with myself to not spend any more money. I just picked up Thin Red Line and Island of Lost Souls on Bluray and love them. Im most likely going to pick up Blow Out and Seventh Seal next time im in even though i have not seen either.

Also im patiently waiting for Le Samourai to get the bluray treatment!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I picked up a copy of Cronos at that Barnes and Noble sale, do I now have every Ron Perlman movie Criterion's done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

boom boom boom posted:

I picked up a copy of Cronos at that Barnes and Noble sale, do I now have every Ron Perlman movie Criterion's done?

Yep. http://www.criterion.com/people/117550-ron-perlman