Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

4 Lloyd shorts were added to Hulu. Never Weaken, An Eastern Westerner, high and Dizzy, and Number Please.

None are from the Safety Last blu. They really don't want to undermine disc sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

kaujot posted:

CF forum guys are saying Nashville, and that makes perfect sense. (Grand Old Osprey)

It also makes me the happiest I think I have ever been.

Holy gently caress yessssssssssssss. One of the best films ever, let alone of those still unavailable on blu-ray.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I'm excited by Altman on Criterion, and request more and more and more.

Also, I think the last thing I'm gonna pick up during this sale is the Olivier Shakespeare 3-set; how does it compare to the individual releases, if anyone has it? I love his Henry V and Richard III, and it'll definitely be less to get the box set.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

double joy

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Having never seen either of the upcoming Ray movies, but having loved "The Music Room" and the Apu trilogy what would you recommend as the better of the two?

It's likely I'll end up with both, but if I could only get one which should it be

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I'm excited by Altman on Criterion, and request more and more and more.

Also, I think the last thing I'm gonna pick up during this sale is the Olivier Shakespeare 3-set; how does it compare to the individual releases, if anyone has it? I love his Henry V and Richard III, and it'll definitely be less to get the box set.

I would hold off. Henry V is due for an upgrade, Richard III is the older version instead of the 4K restoration, and Hamlet is bare-bones and also due for an upgrade.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zandert33 posted:

Having never seen either of the upcoming Ray movies, but having loved "The Music Room" and the Apu trilogy what would you recommend as the better of the two?

It's likely I'll end up with both, but if I could only get one which should it be

My favorite is The Big City (my #2 movie of all time) but Charulata (my #10) is more widely admired.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Hey you guys!

Do any of you know if the old Criterion DVD for This is Spinal Tap has any features that don't appear on later versions of the DVD/Blu-ray? I found a copy in a thrift store and figured what the hell. But if it doesn't have anything special I'm just going to sell it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

CPL593H posted:

Hey you guys!

Do any of you know if the old Criterion DVD for This is Spinal Tap has any features that don't appear on later versions of the DVD/Blu-ray? I found a copy in a thrift store and figured what the hell. But if it doesn't have anything special I'm just going to sell it.

Not sure about the blu-ray, but there were differences between the DVDs. The Criterion one has two different commentary tracks, different deleted scenes, and a short called "Spinal Tap: The Final Tour". That said, the re-released DVD is really good and has the in-character commentary that the Criterion doesn't.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

morestuff posted:

Not sure about the blu-ray, but there were differences between the DVDs. The Criterion one has two different commentary tracks, different deleted scenes, and a short called "Spinal Tap: The Final Tour". That said, the re-released DVD is really good and has the in-character commentary that the Criterion doesn't.

Yeah I have the later non-Criterion DVD and it has a ton of special features. It looked to be all the same stuff. Either way it was a good find considering that it cost me 3.50.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Oh my God, this B&N sale. I'm going tomorrow and can only buy four blu rays....but I only have my want list narrowed down to about 25. this is horrible

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Alright, last gasp of the sale for me upon payday tomorrow. Which ones should I focus on of the following?

Rosemary's Baby
Island of Lost Souls
Kiss Me Deadly
Anatomy of a Murder
Three Colors: Blue, White, Red
M
12 Angry Men
Diabolique
Two-Lane Blacktop
In The Mood For Love
Tokyo Story
Young Mr. Lincoln
Bigger Than Life
Safety Last
House
Sullivan's Travels (already have the Sturgess box set, but still love this damned movie)

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Alright, last gasp of the sale for me upon payday tomorrow. Which ones should I focus on of the following?

Rosemary's Baby
Island of Lost Souls
Kiss Me Deadly
Anatomy of a Murder
M
12 Angry Men
Diabolique
Two-Lane Blacktop
In The Mood For Love
Tokyo Story
Young Mr. Lincoln
Bigger Than Life
Safety Last
House
Sullivan's Travels (already have the Sturgess box set, but still love this damned movie)

Get House no matter what. Other than that I'd run with Two-Lane Blacktop, Anatomy of a Murder, and M. I guess it all depends on how many you plan on getting. Three Colors is probably not a bad investment. 12 Angry Men is awesome too. Lots of good choices here.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Rosemary's Baby
Island of Lost Souls
Kiss Me Deadly
Anatomy of a Murder
M
12 Angry Men
Diabolique
Two-Lane Blacktop
In The Mood For Love
Tokyo Story
Young Mr. Lincoln
Bigger Than Life
Safety Last
House

One of either Kiss Me Deadly or House, because they are both crazy in very entertaining ways.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Rosemary's Baby
Island of Lost Souls
Kiss Me Deadly
Anatomy of a Murder
M
12 Angry Men
Diabolique
Two-Lane Blacktop
In The Mood For Love
Tokyo Story
Young Mr. Lincoln
Bigger Than Life
Safety Last
House

I have no idea what your tastes are, but M, The Three Colors, and In The Mood For Love are all amazing. House is campy as hell, and while I realize that is its charm, I can't help but feel that those other movies are just masterpieces that will sit with you for quite a while.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, I think at the very least I'll go with House and M, and maybe spring for Tokyo Story or In The Mood For Love if I'm feelin' zesty. Thanks bubs!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Antichrist
Badlands
Being John Malkovich
Broadcast News
Crumb
The Devil's Backbone
Diabolique
Godzilla
House
The Ice Storm
In the Mood for Love
The Night of the Hunter
Repo Man
The Royal Tenenbaums (definitely getting, my DVD is long lost)
Salo
Shallow Grave
The Thin Red Line
Traffic
The Uninvited
Videodrome

I can only do 3 not including Tenenbaums, maybe four if girlfriend doesnt come. might just kill myself

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Any of you who have to choose should go with House first.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The answer is always House. Of all the DVDs and Blu Rays I own I have easily watched that one more than any other single film.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Repo Man is a solid choice with great box and booklet art.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TrixRabbi posted:

The answer is always House. Of all the DVDs and Blu Rays I own I have easily watched that one more than any other single film.

I will always and forever treasure the time Yoshifan823 watched it with my cohost and I for our Alcohollywood episode; it was a first watch for all of us, and goddamn was that fun.

As for the other choices, I'd echo Repo Man and maybe Godzilla (the commentaries and packaging alone make it worth it).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Should I get the Eclipse Postwar Kurosawa set or When Horror Came to Shochiku?

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I caved and picked up more than I meant to but not nearly as many as I wanted to:

Badlands
Brazil
Breathless
Diabolique
Kiss Me Deadly
Night of the Hunter
Pickup on South Street
The Uninvited (pre-order)

I would recommend all of those to anyone, except for maybe Brazil and Breathless. As much as I love those they aren't for everyone.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've seen one from each—I Live in Fear and The X from Outer Space—and they were both great but it's kind of hard to compare them because the two sets are tonally so different.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can't speak for Postwar Kurosawa, but Shochiku Horror is a real winner if you're into that sort of thing. So I guess if you're into madcap Japanese sci-fi and horror anyways, I expect it'll be great. Goke, The Body-Snatcher From Hell was the real standout for me. I bet you could watch that movie without subtitles, not know any Japanese, and probably still get most of what is going on.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lucasar posted:

Can't speak for Postwar Kurosawa, but Shochiku Horror is a real winner if you're into that sort of thing. So I guess if you're into madcap Japanese sci-fi and horror anyways, I expect it'll be great. Goke, The Body-Snatcher From Hell was the real standout for me. I bet you could watch that movie without subtitles, not know any Japanese, and probably still get most of what is going on.

Body Snatcher From Hell is actually the reason I bought that set. It's a criminally under appreciated film.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I got drunk last night and decided to supplement my original order of Godzilla, 8 1/2 and Lord of the Flies (which I still haven't gotten yet, loving B&N) with three more blind buys, Safety Last, House, and The Seventh Seal.

Very excited for them to come in.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

GonSmithe posted:

House, and The Seventh Seal.

These are both in my top 5 movies of all time, you are in for a treat. Repo Man has to be my other 'must have'

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

GonSmithe posted:

I got drunk last night and decided to supplement my original order of Godzilla, 8 1/2 and Lord of the Flies (which I still haven't gotten yet, loving B&N) with three more blind buys, Safety Last, House, and The Seventh Seal.

Very excited for them to come in.

Getting drunk with access to the internet and Criterion on the brain is an awful cocktail. One just wakes up the next day around a hundred bucks broker.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Glamorama26 posted:

Getting drunk with access to the internet and Criterion on the brain is an awful cocktail. One just wakes up the next day around a hundred bucks broker.

I end up doing even while sober. "Oh look, there's some thing I can't get locally on B&N's website that would make a perfect present for my girlfriend...may as well fill it out to justify the cost! And also get 4 day international shipping because her birthdays at the end of the month and I can't not have it in time!"

Godzilla, Repo Man, a bunch of Wes Anderson, Che, and Dazed and Confused later and I finally check out. And you know what? It's still loving cheaper than getting the non-Criterion versions of those flicks locally on Blu Ray where available. The standard edition blu of Che Part 1 goes for $29 alone.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Ended up with

House
Repo Man
Royal Tenenbaums
In the Mood for Love
Videodrome

Pretty great haul.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Okay, I'm looking to buy one more, possibly two.

The Devil's Backbone
The Killing
The Ballad of Narayama
Cronos
Two Lane Blacktop
Harakiri
Salo
Kagemusha

Are any of these "must-haves"? They're all blind buys with the exception of Kagemusha, which I watched years ago when I was 15 or 16 and remember not liking, but I feel like if I watched it now I'd probably love it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

The Devil's Backbone
The Killing
The Ballad of Narayama
Cronos
Two Lane Blacktop
Harakiri
Salo
Kagemusha

Are any of these "must-haves"? They're all blind buys with the exception of Kagemusha, which I watched years ago when I was 15 or 16 and remember not liking, but I feel like if I watched it now I'd probably love it.

Comedy option: Salo, it's a great movie to throw on at a party.

Real suggestion: I'd say Two-Lane Blacktop or Harakiri, since I hear they're pretty great. Ballad of Narayama is gorgeous, but can be a bit slow if you're not totally into the concept of it.

In other news, I supplemented my initial burst after some coupons with Lord of the Flies, The Devil's Backbone and The Ice Storm, since I don't have any Ang Lee in my collection.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Everyone should buy Two-Lane Blacktop

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Biff Rockgroin posted:

The Devil's Backbone
The Killing
The Ballad of Narayama
Cronos
Two Lane Blacktop
Harakiri
Salo
Kagemusha

Salo is a hell of a blind buy.

Of the ones you've picked, I've seen Harakiri, Cronos, and Kagemusha. All three are excellent, especially Harakiri! I'm a Kobayashi fan and I really liked Tatsuya Nakada in The Human Condition, so I was super pumped to see Harakiri. Didn't disappoint.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 6, 2013

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Biff Rockgroin posted:

The Devil's Backbone
The Killing
The Ballad of Narayama
Cronos
Two Lane Blacktop
Harakiri
Salo
Kagemusha

The Killing. Absolutely The Killing. Plus Killer's Kiss is good too, and on there, in case you didn't know. But The Killing is seriously my favorite Kubrick. It's the only one of his movies I can always be in the mood for.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

The Devil's Backbone
The Killing
The Ballad of Narayama
Cronos
Two Lane Blacktop
Harakiri
Salo
Kagemusha

Harakiri is stunning.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Out of all the non-Kurosawa samurai films I've seen from Criterion (including Sword of Doom, Samurai Trilogy, Three Outlaw Samurai... I think that's it) Harakiri is the best. I watched it on Hulu and will pick up the blu-ray someday, but I'd really like to see Miike's remake too.

HOWEVER I personally like Kagemusha a lot more than Ran, but that's partly because I find the historical aspects more interesting. Gorgeous use of colour too.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Man I always forget how unbearably slow the shipping to Canada is. I HAVE THREE TRACKING NUMBERS WHY DON'T ANY OF THEM WORK???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Cacator posted:

Man I always forget how unbearably slow the shipping to Canada is. I HAVE THREE TRACKING NUMBERS WHY DON'T ANY OF THEM WORK???

I hear ya it takes forever, although I did get Shoot the Piano Player a few days ago, even though the rest of the order shipped two days earlier on July 23rd! Luckily I live close enough to the States and did most of my sale shopping at a B&N store.