Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm saving my :10bux: for the next sale since I really only want Day for Night and The Freshman.... and I just paid rent for the month.

The Freshman is really good if you like silent, physical comedy. He does this stupid little dance in it that will stick with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

The Freshman is really good if you like silent, physical comedy. He does this stupid little dance in it that will stick with you.

I had the old New Line DVD. That dance was one of the best recurring gags. Speedy is going to be a must-have too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

friendo55 posted:

Would Umberto D. be a safe blind-buy purchase?
It's a film I rarely see being discussed, but reviews of it being simple, elegant, and heartbreaking has always intrigued me.

I'm usually OK with sad movies, but goddamn umberto D is a sad movie. Simple elegant and heartbreaking is the perfect way to describe it. You will most likely cry.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The flash sale has been extended for two hours; it now ends at 2 PM EST.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Glad I was able to snag a few I've been meaning to see for a while: Black Orpheus, The Red Shoes, and Smiles of a Summer Night. I'd be lying if I didn't say that my girlfriend had a slight hand in this selection as opposed to the last flash sale.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Because it's October I was in the mood for a horror movie. I considered getting Throne of Blood and it sold out (yeah, not a horror movie per se, but it has witches and the right tone). I went for film on my wishlist I had't seen before instead - Kuroneko. I really wanted Kwaidan but isn't out yet nor on sale.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 7, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Innocents is a great Criterion horror. I'm not the biggest fans of Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby but there are those too of course. Maybe Night of the Hunter? Though that's more thriller I suppose.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
For horror, I really enjoyed the recently released The Brood, as well as the other Cronenbergs. Sisters is good too, imo.

Also check out Peeping Tom, The Blob and Fiend without a Face.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Nate RFB posted:

The Innocents is a great Criterion horror. I'm not the biggest fans of Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby but there are those too of course. Maybe Night of the Hunter? Though that's more thriller I suppose.

The Innocents is fantastic, it has a lot of genuinely unnerving moments that are all due to mood and atmosphere.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Egbert Souse posted:

Everyone should at least jump on the Tati set. The new restorations are absolutely stunning, especially Playtime.
I need to check out the Tati set. I've been watching the Etaix set and it's great.

Anyone into silent comedies should like Etaix. The Suitor has no more dialogue than the average silent with title cards but it's spoken because that was no longer a limitation in 1962. Instead of a rising soundtrack you get sound effects. He was a live performer/magician and very much in the vein of Vaudeville guys like Keaton.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Suitor and Le Grand Amour are great.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Just caught Letter Never Sent and it's beautiful, too bad no extras on the disc.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Managed to not get anything in the flash sale. Even with the 10 bucks in store credit I couldn't figure out a way to hit the free shipping limit without going too much over. It just now occurred to me I could have added a mug or something small.

Oh well, should be a B&N sale next month. Ends up being cheaper there anyway.

They aren't planning on putting Jeanne Dielman out on Blu anytime soon are they?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Stan Taylor posted:

Managed to not get anything in the flash sale. Even with the 10 bucks in store credit I couldn't figure out a way to hit the free shipping limit without going too much over. It just now occurred to me I could have added a mug or something small.

Oh well, should be a B&N sale next month. Ends up being cheaper there anyway.

They aren't planning on putting Jeanne Dielman out on Blu anytime soon are they?

By the way, as long as your order hit $50+ without the coupon first, you still got free shipping if the coupon put it under $50.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Red posted:

By the way, as long as your order hit $50+ without the coupon first, you still got free shipping if the coupon put it under $50.

Oh dang

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I managed to find Grey Gardens/Beales of Grey Gardens DVD at the pawn shop today for $2. I love that film and didn't even realize it was on Criterion, so that was a nice surprise.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Red posted:

:smith:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probably a dumb question, but are the spine numbers based on the count when the film was added? Like M has spine #30, so was it the 30th film added to the collection?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yep, they're in chronological order of Criterion release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They're mostly in order, but they had to delay and switch releases occasionally.

Here's a complete listing of every release date

Just as an example, here's the first ten spines:

#1 - Grand Illusion - November 23, 1999
#2 - Seven Samurai - April 21, 1998
#3 - The Lady Vanishes - May 26, 1998
#4 - Amarcord - March 31, 1998
#5 - The 400 Blows - March 31, 1998
#6 - Beauty and the Beast - June 2, 1998
#7 - A Night to Remember - May 12, 1998
#8 - The Killer - June 16, 1998
#9 - Hard Boiled - June 9, 1998
#10 - Walkabout - May 5, 1998

Also, The Passion of Joan of Arc (#62) was released on DVD in 1999 and has an insert noting Vampyr as coming soon, which finally came out in 2008 as #437.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 13, 2015

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

but what about the laserdisc numbers

we just gonna forget those ever happened....??

fuckin Criterion, retconning things

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Citizen Kane is the REAL #1

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for the answers!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Criterion_Collection_Laserdisc_releases

It's interesting to see how many films only released on laserdisc ended up having Criterion-quality releases anyways. Releases like Lawrence of Arabia, Citizen Kane, Blue Velvet, Blade Runner, Casablanca, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and the first three James Bond films are virtually Criterion releases on Blu-Ray without the logo.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

let's not forget AKIRA

:goonsay:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm just curious, how does the numbering handle bluray re-releases of older formats? Do they keep the old number?

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Xenomrph posted:

I'm just curious, how does the numbering handle bluray re-releases of older formats? Do they keep the old number?

Yep.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Blu-Ray releases of titles previously issued on DVD keep the numbers. For example, the Blu-Ray of Seven Samurai is still #2.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope Criterion is cheeky and gives spine number 666 to some Satanic horror film.

EDIT: Oh wait, they're well in the late 700's now. Never mind.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Raxivace posted:

I hope Criterion is cheeky and gives spine number 666 to some Satanic horror film.

EDIT: Oh wait, they're well in the late 700's now. Never mind.

They did, it was The Devil's Backbone.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh good. All is redeemed.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

morestuff posted:

They did, it was The Devil's Backbone.

More like The Devil's Spine Number amirite? :cheeky:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Cacator posted:

More like The Devil's Spine Number amirite? :cheeky:

Haha dammit I didn't even notice think of that part of it. That's amazing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Barnes & Noble sale starts 11/10.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Origami Dali posted:

The Barnes & Noble sale starts 11/10.
On that topic, I'm considering blind-buying some more Criterion movies on the next sale. Are any of these a bad idea, or have any caveats?

- Brazil
- The Seventh Seal
- The Brood
- City Lights
- The Great Dictator

Edit-- nevermind, took the plunge and got a Hulu Plus account so I can find out for myself!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 16, 2015

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

On that topic, I'm considering blind-buying some more Criterion movies on the next sale. Are any of these a bad idea, or have any caveats?

- Brazil
- The Seventh Seal
- The Brood
- City Lights
- The Great Dictator

Edit-- nevermind, took the plunge and got a Hulu Plus account so I can find out for myself!

Those are all pretty great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

- Brazil
- The Seventh Seal
- The Brood
- City Lights
- The Great Dictator

I haven't seen The Brood, but the rest are essential.

The Gold Rush and Safety Last! are also worth getting. Great films, but also definitive restorations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm trying to remember, when you get up to 500 points for $50 off on Criterion's site do they usually send out the code right away? Looking ahead I think I need like ~80 to get the $50 so I figure I could do two separate orders during the next flash sale to take advantage of it at that time. But if it's a day or two later that wouldn't work.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Xenomrph posted:

- Brazil
- The Seventh Seal
- The Brood
- City Lights
- The Great Dictator

If you work in a lovely bureaucratic office, you'll never be able to stop thinking about Brazil. This has been my experience with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The Complete Lady Snowblood
Bitter Rice
The American Friend
Gilda
Inside Llewyn Davis

Really cool month in my opinion.

e: the Inside Llewyn Davis features :eyepop:

Criterion posted:

DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

New 4K digital transfer, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New audio commentary featuring writers Robert Christgau, David Hajdu, and Sean Wilentz
The First Hundred Feet, the Last Hundred Feet, a new conversation between filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and directors Joel and Ethan Coen about the evolution of their approach, from Blood Simple to Inside Llewyn Davis
Inside “Inside Llewyn Davis,” a forty-five-minute 2013 documentary
Another Place, Another Time (2014), a 101-minute film documenting an Inside Llewyn Davis tribute concert, featuring Joan Baez, Mumford & Sons, Punch Brothers, Gillian Welch, Jack White, and others
New piece on the history of “Fare Thee Well (Dink’s Song),” featuring music producer T Bone Burnett and the Coens
New piece about Dave Van Ronk and the Greenwich Village folk scene of the early sixties, featuring music writer and historian Elijah Wald
Sunday, a short 1961 documentary by Dan Drasin about the riots that took place in Washington Square Park after folk musicians were prevented from gathering and playing there
Trailers
PLUS: An essay by film critic Kent Jones