Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watch anything from Japan, that's just kind of how they see femininity there.

So I've been revisiting every Wes Anderson movie since I bought all of them but Darjeeling Limited in the sale. Nothing against that movie, I just didn't get around to it.

It's the first time I've watched most of them since I was a teenager so I'm really noticing the theme of control. It's interesting that the director known for control over the frame and performances keeps revisiting the theme of lacking control. Whether it's in relationships, career, or just life, many of his characters are just totally rudderless despite being privileged in some way. Usually wealth.

I've also noticed how all his films are in some way about masculinity and how we perceive it based on our perception of the previous generation. I love how that's presented in Moonrise Kingdom. He casts these guys known for their masculine roles (Willis, Norton, Murray) as these old man children who are all trying to be cartoonish depictions of men and everything falls apart around them because of it. Bill Murray walking outside in his underwear, axe in hand, saying "I'm going to go find a tree to chop down" for no particular reason is a great example of this. He's just so emasculated by everything around him that he has to act out in a 'manly' way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GrandpaPants posted:

On Ikiru itself, god what a beautiful movie. Not uh, not a good movie if you're feeling blue and want to feel hopeful, especially in the second half when I just started to feel downright angry, but definitely one worth watching if you're emotionally prepared for it. It was probably less subtle about what the director thinks about bureaucracy than Brazil was, though.
For me, the second half is what sold the whole thing. The first half was good but also often hard to watch, but man watching the slow realizations of the characters in the second half about what really happened just tore me apart.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
It amazes me how Ikiru and Seven Samurai were made back to back.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Brief sale (from today until Dec. 11th) where you can add HAPPY as a promo code to get 20% your whole cart, not just DVDs/Blu-rays. So if you wanted a discount on that awesome House shirt, then this is the deal for you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

InterrupterJones posted:

Brief sale (from today until Dec. 11th) where you can add HAPPY as a promo code to get 20% your whole cart, not just DVDs/Blu-rays. So if you wanted a discount on that awesome House shirt, then this is the deal for you.

It also counts for preorders

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum coming soon

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

kuddles posted:

There isn't a good reference point on Criterions where the DVD version sold terribly or the current rights of a previous release are in some non-negotiable position, is there? On that B&N sale, I'm wavering on a couple DVD movies that are low in stock, afraid that not buying it leads to it not being available in any form for ages, or that buying it means the Bluray version comes out a year from now.

This is old, but were you wondering about particular ones? It's sort of a case by case basis.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum coming soon

hype. its the best mizoguchi

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Given they just posted this on instagram, pretty safe bet that they;re the ones doing the Boyhood release that's been rumoured for a while

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

This is old, but were you wondering about particular ones? It's sort of a case by case basis.
It was more in general, I didn't know if someone was cataloguing it somewhere. It's just a recurring issue of not wanting to buy a DVD these days unless a Bluray of a film just doesn't seem to be on the docket.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

kuddles posted:

It was more in general, I didn't know if someone was cataloguing it somewhere. It's just a recurring issue of not wanting to buy a DVD these days unless a Bluray of a film just doesn't seem to be on the docket.

I don't think anything is in immediate risk of going OOP. Shout! Factory has US rights to much of the iTV and Westchester Films libraries, but that purchase had no effect on Criterion's releases or even streaming. My guess is that Shout! Factory is more likely to work with Criterion on handling the libraries than demand exclusivity like Lionsgate did with StudioCanal. Anchor Bay had StudioCanal rights for a while, but still worked with Criterion on several releases.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

March releases:

The Manchurian Candidate
A Poem is a Naked Person
A Brighter Summer Day
Paris Belongs to Us
Bicycle Thieves (Blu-Ray)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

Now we can have pristine Blu-ray quality to be filtered through our tears.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Egbert Souse posted:

March releases:

The Manchurian Candidate
A Poem is a Naked Person
A Brighter Summer Day
Paris Belongs to Us

gently caress yes Bicycle Thieves.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I will continue to reiterate that A Poem is a Naked Person is a must-see not only for Les Blank fans but documentary enthusiasts in general.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

between paris belongs to us and the carlotta out 1 dual format set its good that jacques rivette is finally getting the home media treatment he deserves

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion added a ton of movies to their Hulu channel over the last week or two

Lady Snowblood I and II

Tati:
Jour de fete
Mr. Hulot's Holiday
Mon oncle
Play Time
Trafic

Kieslowski:
A Short Film About Love
A Short Film About Killing
The Scar
Camera Buff
No End
Blind Chance

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A Short Film About Killing is probably one of the greatest movies ever made and A Short Film About Love is no slouch either

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion added a ton of movies to their Hulu channel over the last week or two

Lady Snowblood I and II

Tati:
Jour de fete
Mr. Hulot's Holiday
Mon oncle
Play Time
Trafic

Oh nice, I was real close to blind buying the boxset. Glad I held off to see if I like Tati, real excited to check out Playtime.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I JUST bought the Tati box set! At least it was like 65% off and is loaded with bonus features. Preordered Lady Snowblood too.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I bought the Beastie Boys anthology for $3 at goodwill today. I can't even name one of their songs, I just saw the criteron logo and grabbed it. What's wrong with me?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I bought the Beastie Boys anthology for $3 at goodwill today. I can't even name one of their songs, I just saw the criteron logo and grabbed it. What's wrong with me?

Something's wrong with you if you don't at least know Sabotage exists, that's for sure.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
To not know a single Beastie Boys song you would basically have to have deliberately avoided all pop culture from 1986 - 1998

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Also couple of them were directed by Spike Jonze.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I got Watership Down, Time Bandits, and Eraserhead for Christmas this year. Not bad at all. I really want to pre order Lady Snowblood now too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Beastie Boys is one of those bands where I don't actually know their songs (except "Fight For Your Right", which is awful) but if you play them for me I'm like "oh yeah I've heard that on the store radio". Are the music videos good enough to be anthologized?

Blast Fantasto posted:

To not know a single Beastie Boys song you would basically have to have deliberately avoided all pop culture from 1986 - 1998

I dunno, that's pretty easy if you're not 30+.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My parents got me a copy of Faces for Christmas.

I've never seen it or any Cassavetes before, but after reading the description of the movie on the box I uh, don't know how to feel about their marriage anymore.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Swagger Dagger posted:

Something's wrong with you if you don't at least know Sabotage exists, that's for sure.

There is quite a lot wrong with me.

Also, they had Chasing Amy however I think it's part of thrift store policy to have at least two copies of the film for sale at all times.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My wife sent my wish list from Amazon to my mother and the one title she picked to give me was The Life Aquatic "because it sounded like a funny movie"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Beastie Boys videos are generally pretty fun and that particular DVD is OOP, isn't it?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Beastie Boys videos are generally pretty fun and that particular DVD is OOP, isn't it?

Doesn't look like it. Also, I guess youtube has made this particular criterion obsolete...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Doesn't look like it. Also, I guess youtube has made this particular criterion obsolete...

Not quite. It has multiple angles and audio tracks for nearly all of the music videos.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Man I'm watching Watership down and I really forgot how bleak this movie can get. It's beautiful but there is an animal dying or getting injured about every scene. I really can't imagine how many kids were scarred after their parents showing them this movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The_Rob posted:

Man I'm watching Watership down and I really forgot how bleak this movie can get. It's beautiful but there is an animal dying or getting injured about every scene. I really can't imagine how many kids were scarred after their parents showing them this movie.

Why would anyone think its for children?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Why would anyone think its for children?

I really wish criterion would have offered a reversible cover with that one on the other side.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Speaking of covers, what do you guys think about Criterion's penchant for using imagery from very late in the films on a lot of the box art. Right now in thinking of Ikiru and The Brood mostly, but there are a bunch of examples. I love it. If I'm going into the movie blind the covers just look cool then have a whole new context when I'm done watching.

I've been thinking about it a lot while all these goddamn needs bitch and moan about the tiniest Star Wars spoiler lately.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I tend to really like striking imagery from films as covers, spoilers be damned. Ikiru is a great example; I really love the covers for M and The Sword of Doom as well (Both of these movies are also about serial killers, come to think of it).

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

they posted their preview collage for this year:

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/3854-happy-new-year

my guesses (l to r):

three kings (russell) or kings of the road
mccabe & mrs. miller
lone wolf & cub box
fantastic planet
only angels have wings (but only because they've already done exterminating angel and they don't drop hints for bd upgrades)
???? (was thinking manchurian candidate but it's queen of diamonds in that)
brave new world (one of the tv movies only because i don't know what else this could be)
phoenix
born losers/some other biker movie that isn't easy rider because they've already done that
oliver twist (polanski)
a taste of honey
chimes at midnight (confirmed)
story of the last chrysanthemums (confirmed)
new york new york
the squid and the whale
castaway (roeg)

i feel confident about 10 of these guesses

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
2016 Panorama

And details

EDIT: gently caress right as I was making the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Boyhood above the Lone Wolf & Cub trolley?