Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Nights of Cabiria is now out of print. Pick up this amazing movie while you have the chance.

poo poo. Do you think it's going to be one of those "easy to find even though it's out of print" or one of those "buy that poo poo asap"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zeroordie posted:

poo poo. Do you think it's going to be one of those "easy to find even though it's out of print" or one of those "buy that poo poo asap"?

They're pretty much always "buy that poo poo asap". Who would've guessed that Tokyo Olympiad would be going for $80 one day?

It COULD mean there's a re-release on the horizon, but Mulvaney denies it.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Not so much a clue as a straight-up announcement: Pigs and Battleships

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

:cheers: excellent movie, one of my favorites by Imamura (one of these days I'm gonna get around to seeing Black Rain)

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I wonder if they'll package it with Insect Woman and Intentions of Murder in some sort of Eclipse: Japanese New Wave set. They did confirm an upcoming Imamura set for Eclipse...

Starscream fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 11, 2008

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Starscream posted:

I wonder if they'll package it with Insect Woman and Intentions of Murder in some sort of Eclipse: Japanese New Wave set. They did confirm an upcoming Imamura set for Eclipse...
So does Criterion have some sort of standing agreement with Nikkatsu? I'm all for more Imamura, and a Criterion Buta to Gunkan (1961) is great news, but I'd love to see Criterion do some Shochiku Oshimas or Yoshidas.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

SubG posted:

Buta to Gunkan (1961)

really dude? if you're not going to write 豚と軍艦 why even bother?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
japones

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

really dude? if you're not going to write 豚と軍艦 why even bother?
You're right.

Any word on when there's going to be a Criterion Blu-Ray of Kurosawa's Chaos (1985)?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SubG posted:

You're right.

Any word on when there's going to be a Criterion Blu-Ray of Kurosawa's Chaos (1985)?

There are films that are commonly known by the titles in their original language, and those that are known by their Americanized titles. You're not impressing anyone by running to iMDB to look up the Japanese title and the year of release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I can't believe Criterion hasn't released Det sjunde inseglet.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

I can't believe Criterion hasn't released Det sjunde inseglet.

I heard they have plans to release Ansikte mot Ansikte, which I thought was powerful if flawed. Certainly it's no Scener ur ett Aktenskap or Viskningar och rop, but it's at least on the level of, say, Hostsonaten.

Wow, I can't believe I know all those from memory.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Has anyone here seen Bread & Chocolate? If ever a movie desperately needed the Criterion treatment it's this one. It's an italian film from 1973 starring Nino Manfredi and Anna Karina. A tragic comedy about in the vein of Chaplin stuff, or Life is Beautiful, about Italian immigrants in Switzerland. It's one of the best films I've ever seen. Some of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in my life are in this movie, as well as scenes that make me cry every time.

However, the DVD is atrocious. Pops and scratches and splicing errors, as if they dragged the film through the streets before the transfer. Subtitles, when you can even read them (they're printed on the print and fuzzy as hell) don't line up, or don't show up at all sometimes. I've seen this movie several times, it's one of my favorites, and I still have no idea what 25% of the dialogue being said is. I hope one day I can see this movie the way it was meant to be seen.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 12, 2008

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

Has anyone here seen Bread & Chocolate?

I believe you meant to say Pane e Cioccolata (1973).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

codyclarke posted:

Has anyone here seen Bread & Chocolate?

I've actually heard of this one, and it was on my Netflix list for a while before I found out that the transfer is really lovely. If Fan-Fan the Tulip is Criterion material, I don't see why Bread & Chocolate shouldn't be.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

There are films that are commonly known by the titles in their original language, and those that are known by their Americanized titles.
And films that are known by multiple titles, and multiple films known by the same title, and films that are commonly known by different titles at different times.

FitFortDanga posted:

You're not impressing anyone by running to iMDB to look up the Japanese title and the year of release.
There are at least two incorrect assumptions in there.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SubG posted:

And films that are known by multiple titles, and multiple films known by the same title, and films that are commonly known by different titles at different times.

And in those cases, it might be appropriate to clarify by using an alternate name or a release date. Everyone knows the film as either "Pigs and Battleships" or "Hogs and Battleships". Saying "Buta to Gunkan (1961)" doesn't really help anyone, does it?

SubG posted:

There are at least two incorrect assumptions in there.

Oh okay, Encyclopedia Brown.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
Is there any hater juice left? Or am I too late? Sheesh.

Bande apartheid
Feb 11, 2008

Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.

FitFortDanga posted:

I believe you meant to say Pane e Cioccolata (1973).

I think you meant to say Pane e Cioccolata (Brusati, 1973). Pleb.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jonathan Rosenbaum's Facebook posted:

Jonathan Rosenbaum is thrilled that he and Mehrnaz Saeed-Vafa will do a joint commentary next month for the Criterion DVD of "Close-Up."

YAY! I would poo poo myself if they released this in tandem with A Moment of Innocence.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Criterion is also putting out art prints of some of their dvd artwork:

Amarcord:

Click here for the full 1608x610 image.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars:

Click here for the full 1024x744 image.

They also have some for Divorce Italian Style and Monsters and Madmen, and they range from 100-125 bucks. Can't say I'm too excited about this, I would've preferred some new posters instead.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

New blog post about working with Resnais on Marienbad. It also confirms that they're prepping a new release of In the Realm of the Senses (a rather overrated film, if you ask me).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The 400 Blows on Blu-Ray, March 24th. This will apparently NOT have the short "Antoine et Colette". I'm waiting for them to release the whole box set anyway.

They haven't officially announced anything, but if you refresh the front page you can see placeholders. Looks like they might be prepping The Last Metro on DVD/Blu-Ray, and (at last) Dodes-kaden on DVD, and a Shimizu set on Eclipse.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Are there any Criterions that have particularly cool/noteworthy packaging that I should know about?

Offhand I think my favorite is Videodrome, which has a neat videotape case look to it. The clear plastic outer case of Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas is pretty nice too.

Also there's more subtle bits like the reversible insert in Schizopolis with the huge warning message. And House of Games, where when you open the case the DVD is on the left and the booklet is upside down. And it's pretty minor, but I like that the printing on the actual DVD of Masculin Feminin makes it look like a phonograph record.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

h_double posted:

And House of Games, where when you open the case the DVD is on the left and the booklet is upside down.

Out of curiosity, how can you be sure this is intentional and not just a packaging mistake?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

h_double posted:

And House of Games, where when you open the case the DVD is on the left and the booklet is upside down.

Dude, you've got the cover inserted upside down in the plastic sleeve.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

h_double posted:

Are there any Criterions that have particularly cool/noteworthy packaging that I should know about?

The inside of the cover of High and Low looks like wood paneling. The case to Royal Tenenbaums tries to sort of look like the book in the movie, on the top spine. The booklet to Bottle Rocket looks like the one Owen Wilson has in the movie.

That's all I can really think of, and yeah, the Masculin Feminin disc looks really cool.

FitFortDanga posted:

They haven't officially announced anything, but if you refresh the front page you can see placeholders. Looks like they might be prepping The Last Metro on DVD/Blu-Ray, and (at last) Dodes-kaden on DVD, and a Shimizu set on Eclipse.

Teeny tiny thumbnails

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 16, 2008

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Also Rossellini's Il Generale Della Rovere. Interested in the Truffaut, but not so much the others - drat you, Criterion, when will I get My Dinner With Andre and Last Year at Marienbad?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

462: The Last Metro (DVD/BR)

463: Generale Della Rovere

464: Danton
(no art yet)

465: Dodes-Kaden

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Great news about 400 Blows on Blu-Ray. It will be my first Criterion Blu-Ray.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

462: The Last Metro (DVD/BR)

463: Generale Della Rovere

464: Danton
(no art yet)

465: Dodes-Kaden

I kind of prefer to wait to see this stuff with all the little special features and stuff listed under it though..

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

FitFortDanga posted:

Dude, you've got the cover inserted upside down in the plastic sleeve.

It's a clear DVD case and the inside of the cover insert has "HOUSE OF GAMES" printed in large type, oriented so that it's obvious that the switch-up was intentional.

Given that the movie is about con games, trickery, and deception, it's really appropriate and clever.

h_double fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 16, 2008

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

h_double posted:

It's a clear DVD case and the inside of the cover insert has "HOUSE OF GAMES" printed in large type, oriented so that it's obvious that the switch-up was intentional.

Like it would be if the cover insert was put in upside down?

Bande apartheid
Feb 11, 2008

Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.

RichterIX posted:

Like it would be if the cover insert was put in upside down?

It does seem like something the criterion collection would do though. Like the invertible front cover of Alphaville.

I think the only way we'll know whether or not it was intentional is if someone else gets the movie.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Padriag posted:

It does seem like something the criterion collection would do though. Like the invertible front cover of Alphaville.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say that I thought he was wrong necessarily, just that his picture doesn't really prove anything at all.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

h_double posted:

Given that the movie is about con games, trickery, and deception, it's really appropriate and clever.

No, seriously, you just have it in upside down. Your photo proves that. Do you really think they meant to have most of the title on the inside cover obscured by the disc?

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 16, 2008

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Padriag posted:

I think the only way we'll know whether or not it was intentional is if someone else gets the movie.

Basically.

If you bought it used, chances are it's just upside down if the US Patent number on the middle of the inside of the spine isn't up at the top and the Recycle symbol at the bottom.

I used to do that to my friends dvds sometimes when they weren't looking. I think I did it to my Mulholland Drive copy and never bothered to change it.

I think I also did it when I rented stuff from Blockbuster.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Well, I own House of Games and it is not really inverted.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

FitFortDanga posted:

No, seriously, you just have it in upside down. Your photo proves that. Do you really think they meant to have most of the title on the inside cover obscured by the disc?

Well even if it were the other way round, then the title would still be obscured by the disc + booklet. And I bought the disc new, with a Criterion sticker on the shrink wrap and everything.

It's possible that it's a glitch, but it seems odd that out of the hundreds of DVDs I've seen, the only one with a "reversed" cover is one where the theme of the movie, and the rest of the packaging (and the fact that it's Criterion) are such that my immediate reaction was "oh that's clever and appropriate".

I'm tempted to go post about it on criterionforum now.

EDIT: criterionforum confirms it's just a packaging glitch, oh well.

h_double fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Please do!