Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Aw dang, no Godzilla box set announcement, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Detective No. 27 posted:

Aw dang, no Godzilla box set announcement, huh?

Target just accidentally leaked the box set. https://www.target.com/p/godzilla-the-showa-era-blu-ray/-/A-77463486?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know what I'm getting on day one of the November sale

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That is cheaper than I thought it would be. Definitely grabbing it during the November sale.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Oh, man.

Gripweed posted:

I know what I'm getting on day one of the November sale

Also, I watched the short and feature of For All Mankind yesterday and I can’t believe I had slept on it for so long, even as somebody who’s into the Apollo missions. There’s just so much material about it out there that I never figured this one would have amounted to anything new. Had I known that this was the one Brian Eno made his Apollo soundtrack for, I would have watched it ages ago. But having his music elevated by the already incredible footage and soundbites from the previous astronauts recounting the experience firsthand really made this something unexpectedly moving.

The short the criterion channel posted in front of it, Solar Walk, is really nice too. It’s a curious and imaginative cartoon with a style in a combination of Michael DeForge, Jesse Moynihan, and Saloon films.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 21, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Oh, man.

Also, I watched the short and feature of For All Mankind yesterday and I can’t believe I had slept on it for so long, even as somebody who’s into the Apollo missions. There’s just so much material about it out there that I never figured this one would have amounted to anything new. Had I known that this was the one Brian Eno made his Apollo soundtrack for, I would have watched it ages ago. But having his music elevated by the already incredible footage and soundbites from the previous astronauts recounting the experience firsthand really made this something unexpectedly moving.

The short the criterion channel posted in front of it, Solar Walk, is really nice too. It’s a curious and imaginative cartoon with a style in a combination of Michael DeForge, Jesse Moynihan, and Saloon films.

In case you're wondering the same thing I was when I first watched it, that one gorgeous, stirring dramatic theme in the film that's not on the Apollo soundtrack is Quixote, by Roger Eno.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Which is the better watch, Apollo 11 or For All Mankind?

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I prefer For All Mankind, but there's surprisingly little overlap and they would form a natural double feature.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What's the best way to watch Mr. Arkadin?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

For All Mankind is probably the better film and the soundtrack is great, but Apollo 11 is worth a watch for the anxiety of the run-up to launch and the incredible launch footage itself.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Unmature posted:

I usually go for the Comprehensive Version.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Thanks, thought so

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Unmature posted:

If you have a minute to spare...

https://www.jonathanrosenbaum.net/2018/12/the-seven-arkadins-tk/

Unmature
May 9, 2008

The formatting of this website makes it impossible to read

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I watched all three last year and Comprehensive is the most entertaining.

Likewise, I prefer Welles’ first cut of Othello over his recut if just for the opening credits sequence.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

VoodooXT posted:

Rashomon's aspect ratio is 1.37:1.

Well, that's not how I remember it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For All Mankind is probably the better film and the soundtrack is great, but Apollo 11 is worth a watch for the anxiety of the run-up to launch and the incredible launch footage itself.

Apollo 11 also had gorgeous 70mm film elements as well that were recently discovered.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Edit: lol

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 25, 2019

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Or it could be a bunch of shirts?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/2648-godzilla-the-showa-era-films-1954-1975

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That's not gonna fit on my Criterion shelf :(

Also, I want all of those illustrations as posters

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Good set, good price.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That art is so cool, but what the hell is that packaging :psyduck:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That art is so cool, but what the hell is that packaging :psyduck:

Looks like the Zatoichi style book packaging.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Origami Dali posted:

Looks like the Zatoichi style book packaging.

Oh I know, but why did they put it in what looks like a kid’s storybook size package? That’s not going to fit on anyone’s shelf, I’ll have to awkwardly lay it across and hope it doesn’t fall off and get hosed up. Plus the original Zatoichi set already had disc issues with that lovely pocket page design.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh I know, but why did they put it in what looks like a kid’s storybook size package? That’s not going to fit on anyone’s shelf, I’ll have to awkwardly lay it across and hope it doesn’t fall off and get hosed up. Plus the original Zatoichi set already had disc issues with that lovely pocket page design.

For book style collectors editions like that what I do is put them on top of the shelving unit itself. They kinda act as like a capper to my collection. Because it opens like a book you can stand them upright, so I have a few like that that are lined up across the top of the shelf.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

For book style collectors editions like that what I do is put them on top of the shelving unit itself. They kinda act as like a capper to my collection. Because it opens like a book you can stand them upright, so I have a few like that that are lined up across the top of the shelf.

Same, I display all the weird shaped things on the top of my shelves. The Zatoichi set, the Bergman set, a couple coffin-shaped box sets, and the big rear end Lawrence of Arabia collector's edition, amongst others.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does Criterion charge for preorders when you order or when they ship?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Buy two and frame one like a gold record

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Get one of those big dictionary stands like libraries have.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah that pretty much comes out at the perfect time for the November sale. I'll probably have to order it online and hope it doesn't get damaged if I can't find it in store.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Never thought I’d see Jet Jaguar in a criterion release.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The B&N near me is really quiet and usually deserted(it's definitely gonna be closed in the next few years), so they seem to have a hard time selling those big expensive box sets. They usually end up hanging around on the shelf for months.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Arcella posted:

I'm holding out hope for a Godzilla box set.

Welp I guess I'd better put up or shut up.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does Criterion charge for preorders when you order or when they ship?

When they ship.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Never thought I’d see Jet Jaguar in a criterion release.

I never thought I’d see Jet Jaguar look like he’s doing something cool, but that box art definitely makes him look about a 1000x cooler than anything he does in the actual movie.

Is it the first movie to be an MST3K episode AND Criterion release?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Cameo posted:

I never thought I’d see Jet Jaguar look like he’s doing something cool, but that box art definitely makes him look about a 1000x cooler than anything he does in the actual movie.

Is it the first movie to be an MST3K episode AND Criterion release?

yes, although Rifftrax did do Salo, I don't know if you'd count that

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Didn't those MST3K guys do Carnival of Souls as well and insist it was actually bad?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I look at Rifftrax as it’s own thing, so I guess that means it is.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

drat that Godzilla set is so beautiful. I might have to get one of those vinyl record shelfs and cut it down just for this release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CRAYON posted:

drat that Godzilla set is so beautiful. I might have to get one of those vinyl record shelfs and cut it down just for this release.

You could just get something like this and put it on a normal shelf

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Medium-Acrylic-Easels-Premium/dp/B017T3NAUW/ref=sr_1_37?keywords=book+stand&qid=1564084395&s=gateway&sr=8-37