Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's essentially two-and-a-half hours of the most unpleasant people you can imagine constantly trying to backstab each other, all filmed with Visconti's usual love for the operatic and enough sexual content to piss off every rating board of the 60s. Probably the most honest depiction of the Nazi party you can find in cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That sounds loving awesome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah The Damned is cool. double feature it with Cabaret and/or The Night Porter.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

RichterIX posted:

How's Throw Down? I grew up on Heroic Trio and Executioners because they aired on USA or TBS or whatever when I was a kid.

Throw Down is one of Johnnie To’s very best movies and I love it. A different vibe than the Heroic Trio films. It’s got some low level crime stuff, but isn’t like his gangster movies and fights but it’s not really action either. It’s just a very nice movie about friendship and judo and bettering yourself.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's essentially two-and-a-half hours of the most unpleasant people you can imagine constantly trying to backstab each other, all filmed with Visconti's usual love for the operatic and enough sexual content to piss off every rating board of the 60s. Probably the most honest depiction of the Nazi party you can find in cinema.

Wow. Sold.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

FancyMike posted:

Throw Down is one of Johnnie To’s very best movies and I love it. A different vibe than the Heroic Trio films. It’s got some low level crime stuff, but isn’t like his gangster movies and fights but it’s not really action either. It’s just a very nice movie about friendship and judo and bettering yourself.

loving sold

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

FancyMike posted:

Sold on both. Gonna grab those in the autumn sale.

Honestly gonna probably grab all four. Love & Basketball seems cool, and I love that artwork for Mona Lisa.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Throw Down is a loving gem. Johnnie To has been slept on for a while in general but his time will come.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
To box when?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I just need a good Exiled Blu ray, is that too much to ask?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a reason they haven't rereleased Fishing With John? It's not like there could be a music rights issue, since it was all done by John.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Speaking of Johnnie To, is there a good transfer of The Mission available anywhere?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah The Damned is cool. double feature it with Cabaret and/or The Night Porter.

Night Porter right after The Damned to make you truly hate Dirk Bogarde. Then Victim followed by Providence to make you love him again.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Speaking of Johnnie To, is there a good transfer of The Mission available anywhere?

Some HD transfer has been floating around, but I think it's just an upscale job.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Never got around to picking up Arrow’s Mona Lisa, though I did grab the four Handmade titles Indicator released.

Going to go ahead and predict Citizen Kane is going to be either #1100 or #1101, their first UHD release, and coming in October. Jonathan Rosenbaum just confirmed he did a commentary with James Naremore (they did the new track for Ambersons), though didn’t say for whom. Given that it was Criterion’s first laserdisc (shared with King Kong), it’s the 80th anniversary, and Kino Lorber already has confirmed Touch of Evil for UHD this Fall. Might be a possibility that 1100 will be a “Unfinished Welles” set that contains The Other Side of the Wind, They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead, Hopper/Welles, It’s All True, The Deep, etc.

For that matter, I’ll go ahead and predict they’re doing King Kong as well (#1102?) since it seems to be completely out of print from Warner.

Gripweed posted:

Is there a reason they haven't rereleased Fishing With John? It's not like there could be a music rights issue, since it was all done by John.

The original DVD has remained in print all this time and I doubt it’s getting an upgrade unless it’s included as part of a Painting with John release. Especially since it’s all consumer-grade video.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Force of Evil was a really solid noir. At 78 minutes long, it's an easy recommendation to watch it before it leaves CC.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just this week I discovered these Criterion Closet videos on youtube where it's actors and directors going in there and picking out their favorite movies. I love these things, and they're a great way to get inspired to check out new stuff or rewatch something I haven't seen in a long time.

Anyway I'm sure most of you all already know about them, it appears they've been doing this for several years already.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Just this week I discovered these Criterion Closet videos on youtube where it's actors and directors going in there and picking out their favorite movies. I love these things, and they're a great way to get inspired to check out new stuff or rewatch something I haven't seen in a long time.

Anyway I'm sure most of you all already know about them, it appears they've been doing this for several years already.

Yeah! My local indie theater even plays them sometimes before movies. The MIA one is surprisingly good, and the Safdie Bros one is pretty funny, since they seemingly get everything.

edit: Another personal favorite from Criterion's YouTube channel is "In The Studio", which spends roughly 10 minutes with artists they commission cover art with. They talk about their process, how they approached the films, and also talk about what movies they like and how they influenced their art.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 16, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

They're the best. Been watching them for years. The newest one is great, it's Nathan Lane.

My favorite is Barry Jenkins. He just goes crazy throwing everything into the bag.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Yes, I have watched all of them.

Spatulater bro! posted:

They're the best. Been watching them for years. The newest one is great, it's Nathan Lane.

My favorite is Barry Jenkins. He just goes crazy throwing everything into the bag.

I remember the The Wolfpack taking a ton as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edCT-dyYA0s

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If you've seen Blood Simple, Zhang Yimou's A Woman, a Gun, and a Noodle Shop is a great Chinese remake that's leaving the Channel this month. Just bear with the corny first five minutes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Edit: wrong thread

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 24, 2021

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

A kind of esoteric question but this might be the thread:

I seem to remember that there is a direct inspiration for Arnold's POV/HUD in the Terminator (as acknowledged by Cameron), and that it was a movie on the older/artier side. Something like La Jetee, World on a Wire, Alphaville (although I'm pretty sure it's not any of these). Then I thought it might be something cultier, like Dark Star.

In short, there's a movie that had pioneering first-person shots with computery/HUD stuff overlaid on the POV that came out a big chunk of time before Terminator. Does this ring a bell for anyone? I realize it's not a lot to go on.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ingmar terdman posted:

A kind of esoteric question but this might be the thread:

I seem to remember that there is a direct inspiration for Arnold's POV/HUD in the Terminator (as acknowledged by Cameron), and that it was a movie on the older/artier side. Something like La Jetee, World on a Wire, Alphaville (although I'm pretty sure it's not any of these). Then I thought it might be something cultier, like Dark Star.

In short, there's a movie that had pioneering first-person shots with computery/HUD stuff overlaid on the POV that came out a big chunk of time before Terminator. Does this ring a bell for anyone? I realize it's not a lot to go on.

Westworld?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jCDQvNh85Y

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I was also thinking Westworld, so I might be conflating Terminator vision and Predator vision. But I swear there's an older film with text and numbers dancing around the screen.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Maybe Colossus: The Forbin Project? I could definitely see it having left an impression on Cameron.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've never heard of that movie, it sounds awesome.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are you sure it was an art film? I remember hearing that as well but it was from a Corman movie around the time the two of them worked together. Like how Galaxy of Terror was the source of the scenery for the future hellscape.

Edit: My mind is sticking on Saturn 3, a movie with Farah Fawcett, Kirk Douglas and Harvey Keitel vs. a killer robot.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 26, 2021

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've never heard of that movie, it sounds awesome.

It's weirdly obscure despite serving as an important bridge between the early conception of AI in 2001 or Alphaville and the more pop-cultural adaption of the idea we see from the 80s onwards. I don't think you could have stuff like WarGames without it.

I'd hesitate to call it a great film, but it's worth checking out, if only for the gorgeous production design with its lovable 70s computer aesthetic.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Any great non-Ray Indian films on the channel?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I watched Putney Swope last night and thought it was hilarious. Not in response^^

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I haven’t seen any of what they have right now, but in July they’re putting up three Mani Ratnam films that I’m excited to check out. I’ve only seen Dil Se.. from him and it’s great if you have Netflix.

edit: here’s the first song from Dil Se.. it rules and I think is a movie people in this thread would probably like https://youtu.be/WKX5x3KZXfY

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 27, 2021

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

smallmouth posted:

I watched Putney Swope last night and thought it was hilarious. Not in response^^

Putney Swope kicks rear end.

Edit: That Dil Se video was loving dope. Definitely gonna watch that, thank you ^^.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 27, 2021

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

FancyMike posted:

I haven’t seen any of what they have right now, but in July they’re putting up three Mani Ratnam films that I’m excited to check out. I’ve only seen Dil Se.. from him and it’s great if you have Netflix.

edit: here’s the first song from Dil Se.. it rules and I think is a movie people in this thread would probably like https://youtu.be/WKX5x3KZXfY

I haven't seen the movie but I've watched that video and listened to the song many times. It's friggin' great.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The channel's non-Ray Indian collection is sadly rather sparse, but two films you definitely shouldn't miss are The Cloud-Capped Star and Awaara. The former is a low-key social drama in a similar mold as Ray's early work, the latter one of the first (and most influential) Bollywood productions. Not only are they both great films, they also show how openly Indian cinema was willing to confront important social issues.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I was looking at watership down and was wondering why they still had a convicted pedophile Gerard jones essay as part of their packaging?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

bobkatt013 posted:

I was looking at watership down and was wondering why they still had a convicted pedophile Gerard jones essay as part of their packaging?

they've also released several Roman Polanski movies

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cloks posted:

they've also released several Roman Polanski movies

He is not currently in jail like Gerard jones

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

bobkatt013 posted:

So if Gerard Jones had fled the country before sentencing, then it would be cool?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Would be if he hadn't literally fled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gripweed posted:

So if Gerard Jones had fled the country before sentencing, then it would be cool?

No not at all. They are both pieces of poo poo, but in the eyes of the law one is guilty and the other is a fugitive. I think it’s also how dc comics has removed all of his work from their digital stores and cancelled reprints but with criterion they did nothing. The fact it’s a kid movie makes it feel even grosser

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 28, 2021