Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

Kurosawa's Dreams have the same problem. Maybe a little easier to follow but aside from Scorsese popping up they're a little too personal for your average viewer to get much out of.

Dreams looks incredible, and FWIW, I didn't have any trouble following them. I'd say only a complete beginner to foreign and art films would be significantly perplexed by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It wasn’t so much about understanding for me so much as…..finding interesting

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah this. I get what each of Kurosawa's segments are about, but I've fallen asleep multiple times watching the film (and I didn't dream about it).

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Ran (4K Best Buy exclusive released last month, previously had a Blu-ray)
This is the first I'm hearing about this and it's completely sold out :(

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Escobarbarian posted:

A Brighter Summer Day and Yi Yi are incredible, although very long, slow and contemplative rather than the kinetic style in Chungking

I watched a brighter summer day some days ago, and gently caress me, that was fantastic. How can a film be 4 hours long and just not even feel bloated or too long?

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 8, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m glad you liked it! It is fantastic. Now keep in mind that until the criterion the only way to watch it was a terrible VHS rip with hardcoded subtitles

https://youtu.be/2AMSHs2adWk

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
haha drat, glad I didnt attempt this before then. Quite impressive stuff.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

never gonna happen but it would be awesome if criterion joined movies anywhere

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Why does Irma Vep turn into a creepypasta at the end?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fate Accomplice posted:

never gonna happen but it would be awesome if criterion joined movies anywhere

:agreed:

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Watched days of heaven and badlands recently, never gotten around to them before. Both still very good, I think I prefered Badlands in the end, but drat, both so good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Got my CC Challenge set up
https://letterboxd.com/twilightsporkle/list/the-criterion-challenge-2022/

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

gently caress me, For All Mankind on UHD :aaaaa:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Haven’t watched for all mankind yet, but sounds like a great 4K pickup.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

Haven’t watched for all mankind yet, but sounds like a great 4K pickup.

It's an incredible film. I'm not a space-travel/NASA nerd, and I thought it was mind-blowing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saw the new version of In the Mood for Love at the cinema today. Still an amazing movie, but the Matrix tint is just so obviously and bafflingly inferior and you can’t not notice it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

Saw the new version of In the Mood for Love at the cinema today. Still an amazing movie, but the Matrix tint is just so obviously and bafflingly inferior and you can’t not notice it.

Is is really that bad? oof, I haven't cracked that one open from the set. Maybe I'll just slip my solo copy into the pocket real clandestine... :ninja:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Franchescanado posted:

It's an incredible film. I'm not a space-travel/NASA nerd, and I thought it was mind-blowing.
Will definitely pick up then. I watched the Apollo 11 film in imax a few years back so more 4K space stuff sounds great.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I saw the criterion Channel has French new wave section right now.

Ive always seen references to this genre, but not sure I’ve actually watched any. Does anyone have any recommended ones on the channel?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I've seen both The 400 Blows and Hiroshima Mon Amour ages ago when I was about 20, and recommend both from my hazy memories. They're capital-I important films in the French New Wave (as well as Breathless, which I haven't seen).

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 23, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Elevator to the Gallows was the first one I saw on a whim and I loved that

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wizchine posted:

I've seen both The 400 Blows and Hiroshima Mon Amour ages ago when I was about 20, and recommend both from my hazy memories. They're capital-I important films in the French New Wave (as well as Breathless, which I haven't seen).

Yeah those are the three most important/essential ones for sure. I also love Jules and Jim, and Cleo from 5 to 7 is one I really gotta watch.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

It's an interesting film because for the actual NASA nerds the Apollo footage used is all mixed and matched from various missions. So it comes across as asynchronous.

checkplease posted:

Ive always seen references to this genre, but not sure I’ve actually watched any. Does anyone have any recommended ones on the channel?

Claire's Knee

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zogo posted:

Claire's Knee

That movie kinda creeped me out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

I saw the criterion Channel has French new wave section right now.

I love both Lola and Bay of Angels, both Demy films. Bay of Angels is my favorite gambling film I've seen in recent years. (Really, all of the Demy is worth watching. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is an operatic musical, where every piece of dialogue is sung. I love it, but some people hate that kinda pacing. The Young Girls of Rochefort is a more traditional musical, with singing and dance numbers more organic or separated by regular dialogue. It's more upbeat and charming than Umbrellas, in that it's about finding your perfect person.)

For Godard, Breathless is essential. Alphaville, Contempt and Weekend are on my radar to watch from that set, especially Weekend, which Brian De Palma cites as a major influence.

Another I haven't seen but will watch while it's up, Shoot The Piano Playerb by François Truffaut, who directed the already recommended The 400 Blows.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Someone revealed a bunch of titles coming from Criterion before deleting their account. Turns out two of the titles were among the March releases ("4K Scorsese" and Le cercle rouge in 4K), so I think it's safe to expect these as likely...

Pulp Fiction - 4K/Blu
Antoine Doniel films - 4K/Blu upgrade (French and UK sets already announced)
Contempt
Homicide - Blu upgrade
As Good as It Gets
"Controversial French director without a film in the collection" is likely Irreversible, which just got a deluxe set from Indicator UK
"3 more Netflix movies from North American directors, one controversial not because of content" likely The Meyerowitz Stories, Mank, and possibly 6 Underground for the controversial choice
Howard Hawks film - likely Twentieth Century,
Paul Schrader film - likely Light Sleeper
David Gordon Green film - likely All the Real Girls
"French box set 4K upgrade from current Blu" is obviously Three Colors, which is getting a UK/French set
"French box set Blu upgrade from current DVD" is obviously Cocteau's Orphic Trilogy, which recently got new restorations

Also, while the Saul Zaentz Company already confirmed it as in the works, apparently a podcast revealed that Criterion is the label releasing a UHD of Amadeus.
Lol gently caress yes I love Twentieth Century

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

The quality really varies. The first one and the last one do it for me. The nuclear apocalypse one was pretty lame.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The quality really varies. The first one and the last one do it for me. The nuclear apocalypse one was pretty lame.

The blizzard as well as the dead soldiers were pretty cool.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

watch A Woman is A Woman, immediately

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Synthetic Hermit posted:

The blizzard as well as the dead soldiers were pretty cool.

I was talking about Mirror, btw. I think you guys might be talking about Dreams? Which I haven’t seen. Or I’ve just forgotten an absolute shitload of Mirror.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Even as someone who adores Rohmer, yeah, that one always weirded me out. Jerome is such a tedious lead at just about every juncture. Annecy looks beautiful, though. My Night at Maud's is a much better place to start imo, and much closer to the wider new wave aesthetic and feel they were asking for (although I still don't think Rohmer is particularly what most people are after when they want new wave, even though his early work is generally included).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Allyn posted:

Even as someone who adores Rohmer, yeah, that one always weirded me out. Jerome is such a tedious lead at just about every juncture. Annecy looks beautiful, though. My Night at Maud's is a much better place to start imo, and much closer to the wider new wave aesthetic and feel they were asking for (although I still don't think Rohmer is particularly what most people are after when they want new wave, even though his early work is generally included).

Yeah, I much prefer My Night At Maud's. Also, another vote for Hiroshima, Mon Amour

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Cleo from 5 to 7 is one of the best films ever made imho.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I finally watched Breathless a couple of weeks ago and it was not my thing. I’m gonna dig into the Criterion Varda set soon though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Jerome can definitely come across like a lecherous man in the midst of a midlife crisis.

Allyn posted:

Yeah, Annecy is pictured to so well in that film. I can't think of another film that captures vacationing as well.

It's funny you used the word tedious because that's exactly how I felt listening to the conversations in My Night at Maud's. At one point Jean-Louis says to Françoise, "I'm 34 and you're 22 and we're both talking like we're 15." :hmmyes:

The Collector, Pauline at the Beach and The Green Ray are three Rohmer films I need to watch in short order.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I finally watched Breathless a couple of weeks ago and it was not my thing. I’m gonna dig into the Criterion Varda set soon though.

Even if it's not your thing, the editing is pretty cool in that. The whole time I kept thinking "He's doing this in 1960s?!" edit: I guess I should say she, since Cécile Decugis edited it.

And Jean Seberg is a cutie. :colbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I have bounced off every Godard movie I've watched. That dude rubs me the wrong way. I feel like I should try some other French New Wave stuff other than Godard to see if I can still like the genre otherwise.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Franchescanado posted:

Even if it's not your thing, the editing is pretty cool in that. The whole time I kept thinking "He's doing this in 1960s?!" edit: I guess I should say she, since Cécile Decugis edited it.

And Jean Seberg is a cutie. :colbert:

Yeah the jump cuts were interesting and I liked Seberg, I just bounced off it overall.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I bounce off most FNW but Czech New Wave is quite palatable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I have bounced off every Godard movie I've watched. That dude rubs me the wrong way. I feel like I should try some other French New Wave stuff other than Godard to see if I can still like the genre otherwise.

Same. Band of Outsiders was okay but for the most part he just seems like a big troll.