Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Please tell me this is going to be another one of those Netflix movies that gets a Criterion release

https://twitter.com/NetflixFilm/status/1485613459127549957?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gripweed posted:

Please tell me this is going to be another one of those Netflix movies that gets a Criterion release

https://twitter.com/NetflixFilm/status/1485613459127549957?s=20

Hell I'm hoping that Power of the Dog gets a Criterion release. And The House, if you wanted to do stop motion animation.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
watched My Winnipeg earlier today, one of the most genuinely hypnotic and dreamlike films I've ever seen. Guy Maddin isn't for everyone but highly recommended

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Franchescanado posted:

I love both Lola and Bay of Angels, both Demy films. Bay of Angels is my favorite gambling film I've seen in recent years. (Really, all of the Demy is worth watching. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is an operatic musical, where every piece of dialogue is sung. I love it, but some people hate that kinda pacing. The Young Girls of Rochefort is a more traditional musical, with singing and dance numbers more organic or separated by regular dialogue. It's more upbeat and charming than Umbrellas, in that it's about finding your perfect person.)

For Godard, Breathless is essential. Alphaville, Contempt and Weekend are on my radar to watch from that set, especially Weekend, which Brian De Palma cites as a major influence.

Another I haven't seen but will watch while it's up, Shoot The Piano Playerb by François Truffaut, who directed the already recommended The 400 Blows.

Oh yeah, you reminded me that I saw Alphaville too in the same time period I saw The 400 Blows and Hiroshima Mon Amour. I remember liking it as well (though, again my memory of the film itself is hazy because it was so drat long ago). I saw them all as part of a film class on French Cinema. I also loved Chris Marker's short film La Jetée, which you can find on the 12 Monkeys Blu-Ray.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
also watched Kurosawa's Kagemusha for the first time last week, jesus christ this film is stunning

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Gripweed posted:

I have bounced off every Godard movie I've watched. That dude rubs me the wrong way. I feel like I should try some other French New Wave stuff other than Godard to see if I can still like the genre otherwise.

Yeah, I've had the same response too. He just leaves me cold, and it feels so detached.

Like, I understand that he's trying to do, but I feel like I like the idea of Godard more than I like his films.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are some excellent Godards - Vivre sa vie and Week End come to mind - but yeah a lot of his work is just. Not very good and full of irritating meaningless platitudes. And anyone who claims to like anything he’s made since 2010 is a filthy liar

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Escobarbarian posted:

There are some excellent Godards - Vivre sa vie and Week End come to mind - but yeah a lot of his work is just. Not very good and full of irritating meaningless platitudes. And anyone who claims to like anything he’s made since 2010 is a filthy liar

Goodbye to Language is great, one of the most memorable times I've had in a movie theater

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Cloks posted:

Goodbye to Language is great, one of the most memorable times I've had in a movie theater

hell yeah friend

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, I've had the same response too. He just leaves me cold, and it feels so detached.

Like, I understand that he's trying to do, but I feel like I like the idea of Godard more than I like his films.

I keep waiting for him to click with me, but he never does.

I'll still keep at it.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
I'm thinking of just getting The French Dispatch on iTunes, because, like Isle of Dogs, it probably won't see a physical release in 4K anytime soon. Of course this means that Criterion will announce a 4K set of all of Anderson's films the second I purchase it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

GoldenGun posted:

I'm thinking of just getting The French Dispatch on iTunes, because, like Isle of Dogs, it probably won't see a physical release in 4K anytime soon. Of course this means that Criterion will announce a 4K set of all of Anderson's films the second I purchase it.

God I hope not. I've already bought half of them individually. I tend to grab one or two each sale.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Gripweed posted:

I have bounced off every Godard movie I've watched. That dude rubs me the wrong way. I feel like I should try some other French New Wave stuff other than Godard to see if I can still like the genre otherwise.

Same and I feel the same way about a lot of French New Wave, but I really loved Cleo from 5 to 7 so maybe give that a chance if you haven’t

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Watched Varda by Agnes last night. Not really French New Wave since it came out in 2019 but it's Varda doing a retrospective of her own career and I found it quite enjoyable. Looking forward to getting into more of her work.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Watched Varda by Agnes last night. Not really French New Wave since it came out in 2019 but it's Varda doing a retrospective of her own career and I found it quite enjoyable. Looking forward to getting into more of her work.

It's very good, and inspiring for creatives, but can also make a creative person feel like poo poo. Varda can somehow make art out of potatoes and it seems funny, insightful, charming and interesting, and it seems effortless for her.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Next month on Criterion Channel: https://criterioncast.com/news/february-2022-programming-on-the-criterion-channel-announced

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I loving love The Square, even if it deflates in the last fifteen minutes the first two hours are some of the tightest, most provocative dark comedy I've ever seen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I loving love The Square, even if it deflates in the last fifteen minutes the first two hours are some of the tightest, most provocative dark comedy I've ever seen.

Yeah, I really dug The Square in theaters. It's not going to be to everyone's taste, but I thought it was a great time and gets really tense and harrowing during the Ape Performance scene.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Magic Hate Ball posted:

seeing The Square and The Killing of a Sacred Deer and mother! back to back to back was premium level poo poo. 2017 was such a fantastic year for macabre socio-political allegory in film.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Gripweed posted:

Watch Varda, particularly Cleo and Le Bonheur. She does a lot of the same things Godard does, but when she does it, it feels charming and playful rather than contrived and deliberately irritating.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Just watched The Lusty Men
Really enjoyed it but the ending was so abrupt

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

LemonLimeSoda posted:

Just watched The Lusty Men
Really enjoyed it but the ending was so abrupt

Mitchum is great. If you haven't seen Blood on the Moon, it's a pretty classic Western tale of pitting two sides against each other, it reminded me a lot of Yojimbo.

Cloks fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 26, 2022

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

Cloks posted:

Mitchum is great. If you haven't seen Blood on the Moon, it's a pretty classic Western tale of pitting two sides against each other, it reminded me a lot of Yojimbo.

If it's on Criterion, I'll give it a shot!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LemonLimeSoda posted:

If it's on Criterion, I'll give it a shot!

You probably have four days left. They're losing a lot of their Mitchum films on the 31st.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Noticed that Sweet Smell of Success is haunting the Channel so this post is expressly to encourage somebody who hasn't seen it to take the plunge

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Finished The Human Condition, which might just be the best thing I've bought from Criterion.

It is so interesting to me see a reflective look on WW2 purely from a Japanese point of view. Feels all too common that depictions of the Japanese in WW2 veer into straight up racism, so a more nuanced depiction is appreciated.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I just finished Rear Window and enjoyed it very much
There was this strange sped-up motion in the last couple of minutes where everyone is rushing to Jeff's rescue, was that a frame rate issue or part of the movie itself?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
No, I remember it like that re: Rear Window

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Finally got over that weird fisheye lens in Fallen Angels and watched it. Was pretty good, but I must say I far prefer Chungking Express. Just wasnt nearly as interested in the story lines here.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watched Hiroshima Mon Amour as my first French new wave. Enjoyed it quite a bit to my surprise. The juxtaposition of the love story with some of the death in Hiroshima was interesting. In particular I think of the shot when the two of them are embracing and smiling in a crowd next to a man with very visible burn scars. But I guess this, like her tragic story of the German soldier, showed how we all just keeping living.

The opening was full of such strong imagery, som of which I had not seen before. Very powerful stuff. It was also captivating to see all of the shots of the city post war and rebuilt.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It would be difficult to pick between the Bergman and Varda box sets as my all-time favorite big box, but the Varda box was such an absolute joy to watch from start to finish. Ingmar Bergman's Cinema is like going to a festival retrospective while I felt like Varda was there guiding me through her body of work herself.

LemonLimeSoda posted:

I just finished Rear Window and enjoyed it very much
There was this strange sped-up motion in the last couple of minutes where everyone is rushing to Jeff's rescue, was that a frame rate issue or part of the movie itself?

Speed adjustments in post. That great closeup of Grace Kelly and James Stewart kissing for the first time was slowed down in post and always looked bad until the 90s restoration, though you can still tell there's something off about it even in the 4K restoration.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

checkplease posted:

Watched Hiroshima Mon Amour as my first French new wave. Enjoyed it quite a bit to my surprise. The juxtaposition of the love story with some of the death in Hiroshima was interesting. In particular I think of the shot when the two of them are embracing and smiling in a crowd next to a man with very visible burn scars. But I guess this, like her tragic story of the German soldier, showed how we all just keeping living.

The opening was full of such strong imagery, som of which I had not seen before. Very powerful stuff. It was also captivating to see all of the shots of the city post war and rebuilt.

i just pulled all the French new wave movies out of my collection to watch in order, I'm looking forward to watching this soon

i watched The General last night, nothing but great bits.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

checkplease posted:

this, but also that moment when resnais winks at the audience to show he knows that his movie follows the same basic plot structure as casablanca

hiroshima mon amour is a very prescient film about the eternal horror of living in a post nuclear age and the ways that time makes us passive to outrage

looking forward to my next french new wave film, breathless

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ha right, the club being called Casablanca.

Now I need to also rewatch that film.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Isn't there normally a February sale at B&N? Are they not having it this year?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Isn't there normally a February sale at B&N? Are they not having it this year?

No, that's Criterion's Flash Sale in February and October, usually the last Tuesday of the month. B&N is the months of July and November.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I haven't watched any Douglas Sirk films since I was in college, so I put on Written on the Wind tonight, and my god I forgot how funny these movies are. Dorothy Malone weeping and stroking a model of an oil rig has to be one of the great overlooked sight gags.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
written on the wind is so good

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

VoodooXT posted:

No, that's Criterion's Flash Sale in February and October, usually the last Tuesday of the month. B&N is the months of July and November.

Gotcha thanks, I remembered buying discounted titles in February, just not who from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

just got this email:

quote:

Hi,

Please note that we have become aware that there's an editing error on the A HARD DAY'S NIGHT 4K UHD disc between 1 hour 23 minutes and 1 hour 25.

We will have replacement discs on hand sometime in March.

Because you placed a direct pre-order with us for this title, we have automatically added your details to our queue and will send you a replacement A HARD DAY'S NIGHT 4K disc to the address on your original purchase of this title. No action is required on your part and we currently estimate that discs will arrive by the end of April, if not sooner. If there's an updated timeline later, we will let you know.

Please follow up with us if your shipping details change. We apologize for the inconvenience, but thank you for your continued support of our work. We hope you have a great weekend!

Best,
Criterion Collection Customer Support

:laffo:

get it together criterion QA