Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Thanks for the advice, but I think I made the right choice. None of those extras scream "must have" to me. The full Criterion wasn't on store shelf and it is a bit of a blind buy for me (Kurosawa proclivities not withstanding).

My BluRay plans are on indefinite hold until I actually have money, my own place, and some resemblance of leisure time. At one point I thought owning a PS3 would be great but for a whole host of reasons it's not good and neither is a standalone player. I think I have like 2 Criterions I'd consider double dipping on, and for those it's hardly required.

Edit: Funny you mention the EAH version of Grand Illusion... I mulled over buying it but decided on more Japanese hack and slash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Don't forget that several Criterions are going to be upgraded likely within a few months. Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes, and Rashomon all have new 4K digital restorations available and have already had BluRays released in other regions.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Not sure if you guys can answer this (and I think it m ight have been answered in a Blu-ray thread and or earlier in this one) but are we certain that more obscure titles will even make it to Blu-Ray?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

soggybagel posted:

Not sure if you guys can answer this (and I think it m ight have been answered in a Blu-ray thread and or earlier in this one) but are we certain that more obscure titles will even make it to Blu-Ray?

Criterion won't be able to get all the rights to Blu-Ray for the DVDs they have now.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Really the only titles I'm fairly sure will be on Blu-Ray are the Kurosawa movies and the Wes Anderson movies, and even for the former I'm not sure about all of them.

I do 100% expect The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic in the next year or two, though.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

doctor thodt posted:

Am I the only person who refuses to buy their SD stuff anymore now that they're releasing Blu-Rays? I just hate the idea of knowing that I'll inevitably double-dip :ohdear: Then again I haven't bought a single SD-DVD since I got a Blu-Ray player so I guess it has less to do with Criterion and more to do with me being a snob.
I'm gradually becoming less reluctant, but Bluray schedules keep throwing me for a loving loop. Ran used to be a shoe-in and then it gets pulled. Once I stopped mourning the loss, I thought Pierrot le Fou would be a pretty cool but unlikely Bluray. The next loving day I find out that it got picked up.

Wasn't there some talk about Criterion doing a Bluray of Fanny & Alexander? There's already a PAL version of the theatrical release out there.

Captain Charisma posted:

I do 100% expect The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic in the next year or two, though.
What's the deal with Criterion and Rushmore? Do they have rights to it anymore? I know they're never getting Darjeeling, but I haven't seen a store carry a Rushmore Criterion in ages.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 30, 2009

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

What's the deal with Criterion and Rushmore? Do they have rights to it anymore? I know they're never getting Darjeeling, but I haven't seen a store carry a Rushmore Criterion in ages.

I think it's out of print, but I think they still have the rights because I don't see any of that old barebones edition anywhere either.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

RichterIX posted:

I think it's out of print, but I think they still have the rights because I don't see any of that old barebones edition anywhere either.

It's not out of print and they still have it.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Rushmore was briefly on backorder everywhere (including from Criterion proper), which I guess was a mistake re: getting a new batch pressed or whatever. But it should be back in normal circulation now.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So what are the details of the sale? I know it ends like, tomorrow or something, but what are the codes and stuff?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I noticed B&N still has Contempt on sale and it's discounted. Is this worth buying since it's OOP? Also, Repulsion is now on sale as well (both DVD and Blu).

(Also, I can't believe how unbelievably flimsy the Eclipse slipcovers are - I thought they made these side-loading after the first set?)

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magic Hate Ball posted:

So what are the details of the sale? I know it ends like, tomorrow or something, but what are the codes and stuff?

I believe it ends on the 3rd actually. If you're a B&N member, your best bet is to use the $5 off member-only coupon. After 50% off, your 10% member discount and the $5 coupon, $40 DVDs and Blus come out to $13, and $30 DVDs come out to $8.50

If you're not a member I think the best you can do (if you're ordering online) is get free shipping + 6% off through this link and an additional 15% off if you pay with a Visa card (coupon code GOWITHVISA). If you're not paying with a Visa you can get 10% off with H4B4R3A.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

I believe it ends on the 3rd actually. If you're a B&N member, your best bet is to use the $5 off member-only coupon. After 50% off, your 10% member discount and the $5 coupon, $40 DVDs and Blus come out to $13, and $30 DVDs come out to $8.50

If you're not a member I think the best you can do (if you're ordering online) is get free shipping + 6% off through this link and an additional 15% off if you pay with a Visa card (coupon code GOWITHVISA). If you're not paying with a Visa you can get 10% off with H4B4R3A.

I'm trying to find it, where do you get a hold of the $5 member-only coupon?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LightsGameraAction posted:

I'm trying to find it, where do you get a hold of the $5 member-only coupon?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nonav.asp?PID=28832&cds2Pid=28833

Note the fine print: the coupon is good for any DVD (or Blu-Ray) whose price was $20 or more before any discounts, and the $5 is to be deducted after all other discounts. If a cashier argues with you about the use of this coupon (happened to me once), explain the fine print to them. It absolutely works, I've purchased many a Criterion Blu-Ray for $13 with this coupon.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I bought Shock Corridor, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, and The Furies. WHY AM I DOING THIS? THIS SALE NEEDS TO END.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm grabbing lunch then going to Barnes again. This sale is getting out of hand!

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nonav.asp?PID=28832&cds2Pid=28833

Note the fine print: the coupon is good for any DVD (or Blu-Ray) whose price was $20 or more before any discounts, and the $5 is to be deducted after all other discounts. If a cashier argues with you about the use of this coupon (happened to me once), explain the fine print to them. It absolutely works, I've purchased many a Criterion Blu-Ray for $13 with this coupon.

Goddamn you, now I'm going to have to spend more money because of this stupid sale. Most of the blus at my local B+N were gone but there are still some catalog titles I've been interested in.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bah, just went ahead on Repulsion (Blu), Raymond Bernard (Les Miserables is on a LOT of top movies lists), and Contempt. Probably will end up re-selling Contempt, though. I put up my extra Malle on Amazon for $49, which is $1 less than the cheapest sealed reseller. :smug:

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 30, 2009

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Any takers for my extra Vampyr and Malle Documentaries Eclipse? $22.50 for Vampyr, $34.50 for the Malle. $57 for both. I got Vampyr today and the Malle is coming tomorrow.

I'll take them both. Do you mind shipping it to Brazil? I'll pay whatever shipping charges you might have. Contact me on PM.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bmmello posted:

I'll take them both. Do you mind shipping it to Brazil? I'll pay whatever shipping charges you might have. Contact me on PM.

Great! I don't have platinum, so email me at: flickeringwindow@gmail.com

Send over your address so I can figure out the S&H cost. It'll just be $52 plus the minimum to ship. I'll give you my Paypal info once I have it ready to ship.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
What's everyone's opinion of the Post-war Kurosawa Eclipse set? It's the last thing I think I might take advantage of for the sale, but I've never seen a non-Samurai Kurosawa movie, and the Post-war Japanese movies I have seen that didn't involve a giant monster didn't do a whole lot for me. Still, about half the movies in the set appeal to me based on their synopsis.

I'm thinking about it but I'm wary, either break me or tell me to save my money.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Oh man, I need to get back to B&N and spend some more money on movies I will probably never unwrap. But there are so many good ones to pick from, fuuuuuuck.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

What's everyone's opinion of the Post-war Kurosawa Eclipse set? It's the last thing I think I might take advantage of for the sale, but I've never seen a non-Samurai Kurosawa movie, and the Post-war Japanese movies I have seen that didn't involve a giant monster didn't do a whole lot for me. Still, about half the movies in the set appeal to me based on their synopsis.

I'm thinking about it but I'm wary, either break me or tell me to save my money.

Well, it sounds like you're only interested in action so it probably wouldn't appeal to you. Scandal is kinda lame, but the others are all quite good, especially The Idiot (his most underrated film IMO).

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Well, it sounds like you're only interested in action so it probably wouldn't appeal to you. Scandal is kinda lame, but the others are all quite good, especially The Idiot (his most underrated film IMO).

Not exactly... I was kind of afraid I'd give that impression with that post. It's not exactly by choice that I haven't seen any of Kurosawa's non-samurai stuff, just how it happens to be. But as a point of reference the last post-war movie I saw was Tokyo Story and even in the environment of a film class and with a built-in previous knowledge and love for Japanese cinema it was basically watching paint dry for far too long. Just really tedious and not very gripping to me until about the last 1/4 of the movie.

Usually I can love any movie that's an excellent character piece or shot beautifully even if most of the rest of it isn't very good though.

From the set though, No Regrets For Our Youth, The Idiot, and I Live In Fear all piqued my interest, the other two not quite as much.

Given all that, is it worth taking advantage of the sale to pick it up?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Not exactly... I was kind of afraid I'd give that impression with that post. It's not exactly by choice that I haven't seen any of Kurosawa's non-samurai stuff, just how it happens to be. But as a point of reference the last post-war movie I saw was Tokyo Story and even in the environment of a film class and with a built-in previous knowledge and love for Japanese cinema it was basically watching paint dry for far too long. Just really tedious and not very gripping to me until about the last 1/4 of the movie.

Usually I can love any movie that's an excellent character piece or shot beautifully even if most of the rest of it isn't very good though.

From the set though, No Regrets For Our Youth, The Idiot, and I Live In Fear all piqued my interest, the other two not quite as much.

Given all that, is it worth taking advantage of the sale to pick it up?

Yeah I think so. Kurosawa and Ozu are completely different, although it's a shame you didn't like Tokyo Story. Hopefully it hasn't soured Setsuko Hara (who stars in both No Regrets and Idiot) for you, she's one of my favorite actresses.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah I think so. Kurosawa and Ozu are completely different, although it's a shame you didn't like Tokyo Story. Hopefully it hasn't soured Setsuko Hara (who stars in both No Regrets and Idiot) for you, she's one of my favorite actresses.

She was the widowed daughter-in-law right? Hell no, she was my favorite character.

I mean, I got what the movie was trying to say, and in that sense I recognize it's importance and the praise it's won. I just felt that the first part of the movie where the entirely too passive parents were getting shuffled around by their kids went on for way too long. After a while I couldn't stand the whole "Kids complain about parents showing up, parents show up, they get shooed off, are very polite about it, kids complain again" thing and I just couldn't stay focused. Once the mother died it picked up and I really thoroughly enjoyed everything beyond that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

DVDBeaver on the Blu-Rays for Kagemusha and Playtime.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

DVDBeaver on the Blu-Rays for Kagemusha and Playtime.

drat, three weeks until Playtime is in my hands. The caps look fantastic... this is going to be demo BluRay material. I just hope it sells well enough to get the other Tati films on Blu.

BTW, I stopped by a B&N while visiting relatives and ended up picking up The Rules of the Game. No idea why I overlooked it since I've wanted it for a while. They were really picked over, too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Well, I grabbed The Third Man, The Seventh Seal (both Blu-rays), and Scenes From A Marriage. I'm not a member so that was kind of expensive for me, though I'm still thinking of making that a round five. Is Last Holiday any good?

FitFortDanga posted:

Playtime

Hurry up and get here, August 18.

Edit: Dammit, even with the coupon I still paid more for The Third Man than if I'd just gone to Amazon, where it's $15.99. :saddowns:

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 3, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

B&N membership isn't making a huge difference. I think I would have saved $25.00 across all of what I've bought so far anyways.

Be ready to be taken aback by The Seventh Seal. Best B&W BluRay I've seen so far.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

Be ready to be taken aback by The Seventh Seal. Best B&W BluRay I've seen so far.

If it's half as good as The Third Man I won't be disappointed (I've never seen grain so well-represented).

edit: Oh my god, Google just spell-checked me into the realization that it's not "Frederico" Fellini. :saddowns:

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 3, 2009

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egbert Souse posted:

B&N membership isn't making a huge difference. I think I would have saved $25.00 across all of what I've bought so far anyways.

That's what the membership costs, and it'll certainly come in handy next time they do one of these sales. Plus it's fully refundable within 30 days.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bmello: Your DVDs have been shipped.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Picking up Kagemusha for sure. I enjoyed Play Time but can't see myself rewatching it too often.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I'm kind of torn on how to buy Playtime actually.

On the one hand, I have $20 in credit at dvdplanet.
On another hand, I have $30 in giftcards to best buy.

On every hand, I need it to be here before August 26th, which is my birthday, because I'm trying to work out showing it at a local theatre for some of my friends, projected through an insane Sony 4k projector.

I'm starting to think my safest bet is doing an amazon prime trial and ordering it from them, but I'm still not convinced about that one either.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Has there been any update about Che being released as a Criterion this year? I see that its up on Amazon now as a regular release, but if it is coming on Criterion, I want to wait for it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Janus Films is going to be the new North American distributor of the Charlie Chaplin Estate library, which is all of his independently produced films from 1917-1957. This includes City Lights, Modern Times, The Gold Rush, The Great Dictator, etc.

The good news is that the Warner and MK2 DVDs in R1 and R2 are all out of print, so Criterion editions are inevitable, or at least a Merchant Ivory styled line.

The old Fox/Image editions were quite good, but Warner's editions had fluff extras (not one commentary), PAL speedup and ghosting, and dropped original cuts in favor of re-release versions.

City Lights with a spine number = :woop:

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Janus Films is going to be the new North American distributor of the Charlie Chaplin Estate library, which is all of his independently produced films from 1917-1957. This includes City Lights, Modern Times, The Gold Rush, The Great Dictator, etc.

The good news is that the Warner and MK2 DVDs in R1 and R2 are all out of print, so Criterion editions are inevitable, or at least a Merchant Ivory styled line.

The old Fox/Image editions were quite good, but Warner's editions had fluff extras (not one commentary), PAL speedup and ghosting, and dropped original cuts in favor of re-release versions.

City Lights with a spine number = :woop:
This is fantastic news. I haven't seen as much Chaplin as I should but hopefully now I'll have the chance to correct that.

zeroordie posted:

I'm kind of torn on how to buy Playtime actually.

On the one hand, I have $20 in credit at dvdplanet.
On another hand, I have $30 in giftcards to best buy.

On every hand, I need it to be here before August 26th, which is my birthday, because I'm trying to work out showing it at a local theatre for some of my friends, projected through an insane Sony 4k projector.

I'm starting to think my safest bet is doing an amazon prime trial and ordering it from them, but I'm still not convinced about that one either.

Wow, your best buy actually stocks criterions? All the ones around me only stock the more well known recent stuff like Benjamin Button and Life Aquatic.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Wow, your best buy actually stocks criterions? All the ones around me only stock the more well known recent stuff like Benjamin Button and Life Aquatic.

My Best Buy has a whole shelf full of Criterions separate from all the other movies with a great big Criterion banner over it. I guess it depends on the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

This is fantastic news. I haven't seen as much Chaplin as I should but hopefully now I'll have the chance to correct that.

I picked up F for Fake from a Best Buy, but it was in Atlanta. Then again, I found Citizen Kane on sale in an Atlanta Walmart.