Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

Is the Martha Graham set worth getting?

Not unless you're big into dance, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

I had a hell of a time deciding where to put the MGM box. My shelving situation is kind of hosed up, so right now it's currently sandwiched between Magic Flute and Autumn Sonata because that's where it fit the best. But now I think I'll move it to the end like you did.

How's that Faithless disc? I'm not too fond of the movie, but as a Bergman guy I'm starting to think I should own it.

Haha yeah, I debate the Saraband spot in my head as well. In the end, I like it better coupled with Scenes... more than hanging out with Faithless at the end of the MGM box.

I actually haven't watched Faithless yet; I think I'm going to do a Bergman marathon in a month or so and plow through everything chronologically and end with that. I seem to recall getting the disc for like $8 or something in a sale, so I figured it I might as well pick it up.

Also, I really don't see the point in spine-number order. If I had nearly every single release I would consider it, but otherwise, who cares what order they came out in? In my head it's more logical to scan by director. That said, excluding Early Bergman I do the Eclipse sets on another shelf by the series number.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

zeroordie posted:

Also, I really don't see the point in spine-number order. If I had nearly every single release I would consider it, but otherwise, who cares what order they came out in? In my head it's more logical to scan by director. That said, excluding Early Bergman I do the Eclipse sets on another shelf by the series number.

Oh god, I think I've just completely internalized the spine numbers.

Regardless, I would think about doing that way, too, but there'd be too many directors I'd only have one movie for, and it would feel weird.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Sheldrake posted:

Regardless, I would think about doing that way, too, but there'd be too many directors I'd only have one movie for, and it would feel weird.

I tried sorting by director once and I agree, it was really weird having single movies sitting in seemingly out of place spots. The biggest reason I switched back was because the first director that came up alphabetically in my collection was Ben Affleck :doh:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Has the whole world gone mad? Am I the only person who just organizes alphabetically anymore?

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Has the whole world gone mad? Am I the only person who just organizes alphabetically anymore?

I organize everything else alphabetically, but for Criterion it just feels more appropriate to go by director.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Criminal Minded posted:

I organize Criterions by spine number and everything else alphabetically. It would drive me crazy not seeing those numbers increase in a progressive order.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Cacator posted:

I organize Criterions by spine number and everything else alphabetically. It would drive me crazy not seeing those numbers increase in a progressive order.

Exact same way I do it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ingmar Bergman (in chronological order)
Alfred Hitchcock (in chronological order)
Akira Kurosawa (in chronological order)
Satyajit Ray (in chronological order)
all other movies (in alpha order)
stand-up comedy
TV series (in alpha order)
Blu-Ray discs (in alpha order)

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

I kind of organize my books and CDs like that: alphabetically by author/musician, then chronologically for an author/musician's body of work. I wish that method looked good with my DVDs...

Bande apartheid
Feb 11, 2008

Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.
Am I the only one who just puts movies on a shelf in no particular order? I'd have to shift my entire collection every time I got a new movie if I kept them organized because I have no room on the individual shelves to put an extra movie, and that'd be really annoying. I try to keep the criterions together, but that's about it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I used to keep everything chronological... one shelf for pre-1930, 1930-1939, 1940-1949, etc. with box sets, collections, compilations, and other oddball stuff given their own sections. It works for me since alphabetical puts Manos: The Hands of Fate between Manhunter and Mary Poppins... and no one else I know is going to give a poo poo about spine numbers. Even one friend who's a fan of Criterion DVDs didn't notice they were numbered until after accumulating a lot.

Chronological looks awesome to me since it looks a bit more respectable and feels more scholarly. Separating BluRays becomes ostentatious. Although, I might change my mind only on the Criterions after buying so freaking many of their DVDs and BluRays after the B&N and Amazon sales.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 11, 2009

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Bande apartheid posted:

Am I the only one who just puts movies on a shelf in no particular order? I'd have to shift my entire collection every time I got a new movie if I kept them organized because I have no room on the individual shelves to put an extra movie, and that'd be really annoying. I try to keep the criterions together, but that's about it.

My DVDs only occupy eight shelves (not counting boxsets) - four on a big bookcase, four on a much smaller one. So it's not a big deal to shift it over when I get a new DVD which isn't that often anyway these days since I'm using Netflix a lot. My box sets aren't in any particular order

FitFortDanga posted:

Ingmar Bergman (in chronological order)
Alfred Hitchcock (in chronological order)
Akira Kurosawa (in chronological order)
Satyajit Ray (in chronological order)
all other movies (in alpha order)
stand-up comedy
TV series (in alpha order)
Blu-Ray discs (in alpha order)

I would do something like this, but I don't have many directors I own a bunch of films by. Scorsese I own a bunch by, ditto Bergman but a lot of the Bergmans are in box sets so it'd be pretty scrimpy. Other than that, I don't own more than probably 10 films by any other director. I've seen a bunch of Woody Allen but I own less than half of them, because I still live at home and my dad owns just about every Woody movie.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

It works for me since alphabetical puts Manos: The Hands of Fate between Manhunter and Mary Poppins...

Those awkward combinations are my favorite part about alphabetizing. I have Knocked Up next to Koyaanisqatsi and I used to have Munich next to My Neighbor Totoro. My favorite is still Hotel Rwanda/Hot Fuzz/Hot Rod

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Separating BluRays becomes ostentatious.

I put my Blu-Rays on the bottom because the bottom shelf isn't tall enough for regular DVDs. I really need a new shelving unit.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Friedpundit posted:

Those awkward combinations are my favorite part about alphabetizing. I have Knocked Up next to Koyaanisqatsi and I used to have Munich next to My Neighbor Totoro. My favorite is still Hotel Rwanda/Hot Fuzz/Hot Rod

Solaris -> Some Like It Hot -> Space Jam

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Doing it in alphabetical order would be a pain in my opinion, whenever you get a new movie the whole collection shifts all over the place.

I have the movies grouped into basic categories, and then usually have them grouped by director within those categories. It's broken down into "Family Films", "Comedies", "Drama", "Action", "Comic Movies", "Animated", "Classic Japanese", "Classic American", "Chinese/Hong Kong", "Korean", "Japanese", "Thai", and my wife's "Chick Flix" movies. Lastly I have my TV DVDs in a separate section all together.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Used to be alphabetical and I'm a poster child for having so many it becomes impossible to keep them that way. There's still a general alphabetical listing, but generally it's the most recent purchase going at easy reach. I do still seperate TV shows, though that's pretty small collection.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I got my Raymond Bernard Eclipse from B&N today, but the Les Miserables case is all cracked. Can I get a replacement case from Criterion or do I need to send the whole thing back to B&N?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

I got my Raymond Bernard Eclipse from B&N today, but the Les Miserables case is all cracked. Can I get a replacement case from Criterion or do I need to send the whole thing back to B&N?

I'm pretty sure you can contact Criterion directly about stuff like that.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

zandert33 posted:

Doing it in alphabetical order would be a pain in my opinion, whenever you get a new movie the whole collection shifts all over the place.

I have the movies grouped into basic categories, and then usually have them grouped by director within those categories. It's broken down into "Family Films", "Comedies", "Drama", "Action", "Comic Movies", "Animated", "Classic Japanese", "Classic American", "Chinese/Hong Kong", "Korean", "Japanese", "Thai", and my wife's "Chick Flix" movies. Lastly I have my TV DVDs in a separate section all together.

I must be confused anyway because no matter how you organize them, aren't you going to have to shift the entire collection? Even if my collection is organized Scorsese-Kurosawa-Tarantino-Cassavetes-whatever, if I all of the sudden buy a new Cassavetes movie on DVD, everything shifts!

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Criminal Minded posted:

I must be confused anyway because no matter how you organize them, aren't you going to have to shift the entire collection? Even if my collection is organized Scorsese-Kurosawa-Tarantino-Cassavetes-whatever, if I all of the sudden buy a new Cassavetes movie on DVD, everything shifts!

True, but then again my "classic Japanese" section, for example, has some extra space for future DVDs. I guess you could leave extra space per shelf doing it alphabetically though.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Chronological order, by purchase date. That's the system the film archive I moonlight at uses, and it's impressive as hell when you can retrieve a disc on request, having only memorized where anything/everything is by context-memory and general release date.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I have a question: has anyone here seen the Criterion’s transfer of The Blob? As someone who proudly owns a Criterion Collection version of Equinox, it seems like something that would be fun to own. However, DVDBeaver doesn’t seem to have any info on it so I don’t know much about the transfer.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Macrame_God posted:

I have a question: has anyone here seen the Criterion’s transfer of The Blob? As someone who proudly owns a Criterion Collection version of Equinox, it seems like something that would be fun to own. However, DVDBeaver doesn’t seem to have any info on it so I don’t know much about the transfer.
Looks good, apparently.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews11/the_blob_.htm

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Looks good, apparently.

I love that technicolor 50's stock. Everything looks like it's made out of candy.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Looks good, apparently.

Son of a bitch! I searched for "Blob" on their site and nothing ever came up. What the hell? :psyduck:

Thanks anyway. I appreciate the help.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
What the heck. I've been on Criterion's site a billion times and was never before aware that they released the motherfucking Blob. :psyduck:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

What the heck. I've been on Criterion's site a billion times and was never before aware that they released the motherfucking Blob. :psyduck:

Yeah, it's one of the many oddities of their library and I've never seen it available in any store I've been in. My local Barnes and Noble will sell Salo, but God forbid that The Blob would be available for purchase. Regardless, it's been in the Criterion for a while and it's never gone out of print.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

penismightier posted:

I love that technicolor 50's stock. Everything looks like it's made out of candy.
Which is funny, as the 1958 original of The Blob isn't a Technicolor film (the 1988 remake is, however). I don't know what Technicolor was charging to process a film in 1958, but it was probably way more than the producers could afford.

Anyway, the Criterion DVD does look (and sound) great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

3-Strip Technicolor ended around 1954-1955 while the industry switched to Eastmancolor negative by mid-decade. This is mainly because they were able to print in the Technicolor dye-transfer process from Eastmancolor negative. Not quite the same since the earlier films using the stocks were a bit grainier and had some minor issues. If you see the Rear Window restoration, you'd notice it's slightly grainy despite most of it being sourced from the negative.

Robert Harris put up a full list of American/British 3-strip films on his column at The Digital Bits:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/robertharris/harris072303.html
(I think it's fairly complete, but I recall a few more films from 1953-1955

Dye-transfer printing continued through the mid-1970s, though. Suspiria and the original 1995 prints of Toy Story were dye-transfer and a lot of 1998-2002 films used Technicolor's revival of the process (most notably Pearl Harbor and Bulworth, and Apocalypse Now Redux).

Disney was the main exception as they continued to shoot all their animated features in 3-strip through the 1980s (the last being The Little Mermaid).

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Thought I'd share this link for any fellow Chicagoons on the thread. If you don't know of it, there's a great little chain of stores called Reckless Records thats sells used Criterions.

http://www.reckless.com/index.php?p...rue&srch=Search

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Friedpundit posted:

Thought I'd share this link for any fellow Chicagoons on the thread. If you don't know of it, there's a great little chain of stores called Reckless Records thats sells used Criterions.

http://www.reckless.com/index.php?p...rue&srch=Search

I miss Reckless. When I was way into collecting music, I spent a shitload of money and time in there.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

That's me right now. Back at home this week, I found a fair sum of leftover spending money from high school and about 20 DVDs I didn't want. I'll be there for hours when I'm back in Chicago next week. Vinyl records and Criterions ahoy :toot:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Possible new announcements today (could be tomrorow or Monday though). Among the titles that are known to be in the pipeline:

Rossellini war trilogy
Cronos
Che
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover
Gimme Shelter BR
Picnic at Hanging Rock BR
Walkabout BR
Kwaidan BR
Down By Law BR
Au Revoir Les Enfants BR
something by Ford?
Revanche
by Brakhage 2
A Brighter Summer Day
Insignificance
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Gray's Anatomy
Make Way for Tomorrow
Scorsese shorts
Vivre sa Vie
more Wenders

Out of these, my fantasy month would be (preferably all on Blu):

Picnic at Hanging Rock
by Brakhage 2
Gray's Anatomy

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 14, 2009

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I wonder if Until The End Of The World is even a minor possibility. It sounds like a really interesting film.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I am hoping for:

Che: I wasn't able to see it in theaters, and I'm just fascinated to see what they did with the story.

The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover: Zed and Two Naughts disturbed me more than any movie I have ever seen (by far). I had actually swore off Greenaway after that movie. In the years since, despite hundreds of movies fading, Zed and Two Naughts is still haunting, and is one of my most cherished movie experiences (as in I cherish that I had the opportunity to see it on a big screen like I did - I'm still not ready to actually try watching the film again). As such, I've been waiting patiently for a good chance to see The Cook et al. - hopefully the wait won't last much longer.

Insignificance: Roeg always interests me, even if nothing else about this film sounds all that great.

Gray's Anatomy: Spalding Gray is just cool. When I was younger, I waited up to 3:00 am to watch "Monster in a Box" on HBO, assuming it was going to be an awesome, low budget horror movie. I was obviously very annoyed to see what it really was, so I watched out of spite, yet he completely won me over.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There's also The Wedding March, and the Paramount Von Sternberg silents.

Also, I didn't realize Monsoon Wedding was from Universal... this gives me hope Criterion gets to handle Spartacus for BluRay.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Possible new announcements today (could be tomrorow or Monday though). Among the titles that are known to be in the pipeline:

Rossellini war trilogy
Cronos
Che
Gimme Shelter BR
Picnic at Hanging Rock BR
Walkabout BR
Kwaidan BR
Down By Law BR
Au Revoir Les Enfants BR
something by Ford?
Revanche
by Brakhage 2
A Brighter Summer Day
Insignificance
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Gray's Anatomy
Make Way for Tomorrow
Scorsese shorts
Vivre sa Vie
more Wenders

Out of these, my fantasy month would be (preferably all on Blu):

Picnic at Hanging Rock
by Brakhage 2
Gray's Anatomy

Not to derail entirely, but what did you think of Che? I never got a chance to see it, but was very interested, and I've heard very good things.

Back on track: VERY excited about Down by Law; just watched it the other day and thought it was one of the upper-tier adventure movies I've seen. Love the characters and it should look gorgeous in high-def.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you