Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Yeah Sweet Smell is going to be mine on day one. Seconding that Fish Tank has a great cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp, time to dump my Fish Tank and Veronique imports. 6 Blu-Rays in one month is fantastic. Criterion's really stepping up their game.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd hate to put that disc in my PS3, it's a Blu-Ray full of arsenic! :v:

Really, I'm getting more excited about B&W films in HD than anything else. On the best discs, there's something about the photography that pops in the format. Even the best B&W DVDs can only handle grayscale to a certain point.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This sale is killing me. I went in to see if Barnes and Nobel had my reserved copy of Night Of The Hunter in, and it turned out that they'd hosed up and hadn't reserved it, so I reserved another copy and bought The Actuality Dramas Of Allan King to tide me over. With those two plus House, The Magician, Paths Of Glory, and Wings Of Desire I've actually begun to run out of room on my Criterion shelf.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 14, 2010

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
They canceled Wings of Desire for an online order. The rest are going to ship out some time in December. Anyone else get cancellations?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Magic Hate Ball posted:

so I reserved another copy and bought The Actuality Dramas Of Allan King to tide me over.

Reviews, please!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I actually just watched A Married Couple tonight, and boy oh boy is that alone worth the thirty-five dollars. I'm trying to think of a good way to sum it up; like a documentary-style Scenes From A Marriage, I guess. Essentially it's ninety minutes of the couple in a state of limbo over their relationship in which the film exists with them, never being overtly negative or positive.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Color me intrigued... but I'm still going rent first instead of blind-buy.

All my B&N discs came today, except Night of the Hunter, and I just received word that that one has shipped. Thinking I might grab Rififi and a couple more while I still can. Hmm, Late Ozu set....

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Renting it might be a little iffy (Netflix has been really lax on Criterions lately). If anything you could always re-sell it after you've watched the discs, perhaps even at profit. That was actually my plan at first, but I was so bowled over by A Married Couple that I knew that I couldn't. There's something about it that's really appealing; the semi-home-movie style, the clothes they wear, the furniture they sit on. If anything it's an interesting snapshot of an era I've always been kind of fascinated with, that Mad Men era, only the Mad Men world is painfully, spotlessly clean and the weird joy of that "then" was that it rarely was that spotless (cigarette burns, futzy rugs, linoleum that curled, wicker furniture with weird stains, globby paint). Of course, Billy and Antoinette are no Don and Betty.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Any idea if Criterion might ever put out the Jim Jarmusch movie Ghost Dog? I've been going through his filmography, and I love both Branded To Kill and Le Samourai, so I'd love to see Ghost Dog but the existing DVD seems kind of lacklustre.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Renting it might be a little iffy (Netflix has been really lax on Criterions lately).

Nah, the library will get it.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Rick Deckard posted:

They canceled Wings of Desire for an online order. The rest are going to ship out some time in December. Anyone else get cancellations?

When they cancelled my Paths of Glory order, I just reordered it. It went through and shipped a couple days ago. :iiam:

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

PeePot posted:

When they cancelled my Paths of Glory order, I just reordered it. It went through and shipped a couple days ago. :iiam:

Same with me, but for Repulsion.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Packaging for...
The Night of the Hunter
and
Modern Times

Hunter is pure awesome.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The .org dweebs are reporting that it's kind of flimsy but I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on it when Barnes and Noble finally gets their next shipment in and corrects my hosed-up misplaced preorder. Also, I watched the first half of Come On Children (around forty minutes in UPS came with my boyfriend's Scott Pilgrim Blu and I let him have the TV) and it's not as good as A Married Couple, mostly because a bunch of teenagers don't make as interesting subjects as a well-educated man and wife but there's still that feeling of incredible texture that I liked so much. There's one scene where two of the kids are sitting on a snowbank by a lake and one of them tells the other all about how he confessed to his parents his drug issues and not only is his story a monologue many writers can only dream about (though his breathy speaking is a little grating) but the blue-white of the snow, the undulating lake, and the constant whoosh-huhhhh of the waves in the background suffuse it with this dreamy mood that I don't think I've ever seen anywhere else.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I've indulged because I apparently have a BluRay in my future so I grab a few BluRays. Seven Samaurai, Paths to Glory, and The Darjeen Limited. I feel somewhat like a robber grabing the three of them for $30/40 something. I might grab a couple more. I have to figure out if my best friend is actually buying a new TV and a Blu Ray player before I buy his birthday present.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The .org dweebs are reporting that it's kind of flimsy but I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on it

I picked it up yesterday. I wouldn't call it flimsy, and I love the design, but with that sort of case the booklet is just loose and tends to fall out, which is annoying but not the end of the world.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, I picked mine up tonight, it's certainly not flimsy, but it's not their sturdiest case, either (the spine of the inner case was creased, actually)

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Well, still waiting on Night of the Hunter and Modern Times (both in the mail), and still waiting for Thin Red Line and Carnival of Souls to ship.

And gently caress me, B&N, you got me back again. Goddamnit.

Also picked up:

Gimme Shelter (blu)
Yojimbo/Sanjuro (blu)
Hunger (blu)
Scenes From a Marriage (blind buy)

Well, at least this $100 will go on my NEXT credit card payment, haha.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I went to B&N and their copy of Night of the Hunter was just the regular plastic case, not the box set. Weird.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The digipak is only for the Blu-Ray, the DVD comes in the keepcase.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'd never gotten so many Criterions at once before. I came home last night to see six of them in the mail, plus one I bought yesterday. Opening seven new glorious Criterions is one of the best feelings, seriously. Putting them on my shelf, admiring the artwork. Can't wait to finally see Paris, Texas, too.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 19, 2010

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finally got my copy of Fanny & Alexander today, almost two months after I ordered it. It's probably my favourite thing I own now.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Videodrome Blu-Ray maintains the Betamax packaging

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Videodrome has one of my favorite extras on a Criterion disc. Camera is such a brilliant little short film, it amazes me every time I watch it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good lord, that packaging is brilliant.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sternberg silents for 36 on amazon for next 10 minutes

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

:fap:

It's going to be really difficult to resist buying Videodrome and Cronos day one, even though I know I should just wait for the next sale.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.
Paris, Texas just might be one of the best blind buys I've ever made. What a pretty and touching film.

Thanks B&N sale!

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Paris, Texas is such a great movie. I love Harry Dean Anderson already for being Mr 80s but that was pretty much his penultimate film.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
I have been trying to resist Videodrome because, while I really enjoyed the movie, I never get an urge to watch it. I already bought the last Videodrome release and sold it a few years later because I only watched it once. Now I want to buy it again. :doh:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My final, final Criterion splurges are in. There are four titles missing from this photo, Eyes Without A Face out on loan and three from the B&N online sale that don't even ship until 11/22. They won't get here until the end of the month despite being pre-orders, what the hell B&N? Here's the pride and joy of my (comparatively) meager movie rack, finally grouped together in its own space:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's not the order Criterions go in. :argh:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Gave in and bought 8 1/2 on Blu today. This is a sickness.

Space Fish posted:

stop that aaaughg

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Is tomorrow the last day of the sale?

I've been working for 26 drat days straight so I'm going to haul my rear end to the brick and mortar store, assuming this is still going on.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

The website says the sale ends Monday

Brian Fellows posted:

Is tomorrow the last day of the sale?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
But just to be safe, you should haul rear end tomorrow anyways.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
During this sale I've picked up:

House
Paths of Glory
Seven Samurai
The Darjeeling Limited
Hunger
Antichrist
Breathless
Kagemusha
Thin Red Line
Modern Times
The Night of the Hunter
The Magician
Charade

The Darjeeling Limited was my first Wes Anderson movie I've seen and I really loved the relationships between the brothers and between Jack and his ex-girlfriend. I'm thinking of picking up Bottle Rocket. What are people's thoughts on that film?

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

Shiroc posted:

The Darjeeling Limited was my first Wes Anderson movie I've seen and I really loved the relationships between the brothers and between Jack and his ex-girlfriend. I'm thinking of picking up Bottle Rocket. What are people's thoughts on that film?

It's my least favorite of his films by a wide, wide margin. It seems to me that his later films have substantially improved on the same themes in Bottle Rocket, and his technique has only gotten better, so to me, it'd really only be worthwhile to compare how he's improved. The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic would be my choices for you.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

Shiroc posted:

Before this sale I had only seen it one other time and remembered liking it. Now having watched it again I realized the reasons I liked it. It certainly doesn't have the polished Wes Anderson "flair" that his later films just are overflowing at the brim with but the relationships are there. The humor and drama is more understated and less given to you. Owen Wilson and Lumi Cavazos are really the standouts and now I love watching the film repeatedly just for their performances.

As a huge fan of all Anderson's work, Darjeeling is really something special among a whole lot of other special movies he's done. I personally can't wait until Rushmore and Tenenbaums get Blu Ray releases as those are my favorites. Like tickle monster said, if you liked Darjeeling you'll definitely want to pick up Tenenbaums and Aquatic but if you want to see where it all started pick up Bottle Rocket, it's less flashy but has just as much heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I still have not received Modern Times, Charade, or The Night of the Hunter from B&N. The order was placed back on Nov. 5th. Should I cancel and re-place or just wait it out? What's weird is that I received Crumb and Paths of Glory almost right away.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 21, 2010