Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Anyone get the Pandora's Box DVD yet? Any thoughts? I'm asking for it for the holidays, and I really want to hear what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What do you want to know?

Oh, this is fine. I just want to whet my apetite a bit. Just how much Lulu is in the bonus materials would be nice to know, too. The region zero version I have has the 'Looking for Lulu' documentary on it. Anything that good on the Criterion?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Review of Pandora's Box from DVDFile. "Looking for Lulu" is on it.

and the DVDBeaver review

*drool* Muchos gracias, much appreciated!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Og Oggilby posted:

Looks like Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole will be a Criterion, too (according to a "hint" on Home Theater Forum). Paramount seems to have finally wised up and start licensing films to them. I hope it's not too much to hope for that they can also get a hold on some Republic films (they dealt with Lionsgate for Kicking and Screaming). I'd love to see what they could do with the Republic serials.

Holy mother of gently caress. I've dreamed about Billy Wilder Criterions. Literally dreamed about them. If there was a Criterion of Ball of Fire, I could die a happy person.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Og Oggilby posted:

It's getting a release from Fox on May 22nd, at least.

:swoon: Og, you are a golden god. Thanks for the info.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Yeah, for the record, I work at a Barnes and Noble and I still get almost all of my DVDs online. Barnes and Noble, being a speciality book store, really doesn't try to compete price-wise with anyone. This is why you could find them charging $35 for The Departed the day it came out while at the Target across the street it was $15. My 20% employee discount doesn't come even close to matching up with the online prices most of the time.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

#396 - ACE IN THE HOLE

Wilder is hit-or-miss with me, but I'll certainly give this a rental. Criterion's new design is really intrusive on this cover.

Yeah, this cover sucks balls. The movie itself is alright-- it's really a genre that Hollywood went to the well one too many times with over the years-- but it has some great moments. I'm going to pick it up, but just for completion's sake.

Why is Criterion so obsessed with doing black and white covers lately? :(

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Wasn't there a website someone linked to with desktops made out of all the different Criterion covers? I remember seeing it a while ago, but haven't been able to find it since.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

IronDragon1 posted:

Maybe I'm just biased because of my slanty eyes but I can think of few films which would benefit from an augmented re-release than The Last Emperor.

My non-slanty eyes agree whole heartedly.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Half of my wish list is Criterions, but here's what I've got so far. Most of it's from that DVD Planet sale earlier this year. Been saving up for Jules and Jim, Playtime, Videodrome, and Pandora's Box, but those'll be a long long time.

Seventh Seal
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Brazil (single disk anamorphic)
Charade
Third Man (single disk)
Rushmore
And God Created Woman
Lady Eve
M. Hulot's Holiday
Haxan
Royal Tenenbaums
Hopscotch
Contempt
Schizopolis
F for Fake
Boudu Saved From Drowning
Mr. Arkadin
Kicking and Screaming
Ace in the Hole

Edit: So the moral of the story is that we all own Brazil.

Sheldrake fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 21, 2007

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

LaptopGun posted:

If this were Kindergatern, I'd give you a gold star.

Yaaaay, I'm special!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Brian Fellows posted:

Is it out of print because some other company has the rights to it now, or is Criterion planning on releasing an update? The latter seems really unlikely.

What MP said about the anamorphic is right. Also, Charade is technically in the public domain since they forgot to put a copyright notice on it during its original release. This is why you can find cheap-o $5 versions left and right. However, the Criterion for Charade is probably one of my favorite DVDs. It really looks fantastic, and the extras are great.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

zandert33 posted:

DVDPlanet Sale is on use coupon "20offsale"

Criterions are super cheap!

Any idea how long this lasts?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Og Oggilby posted:

I understand his reasoning, as it adds a little more resolution, but it's not much.

This is really loving annoying. I was thinking about dropping the veritable wad of cash on this one, but this just seems like a screw up. Isn't Criterion supposed to use the best version of the film out there? What say does the cinematographer really have in it at this point?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

#435: THE FURIES

Haven't seen it, but it sounds fantastic. And it comes with a book? Sweet.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Has anyone here actually used DVD Planet? I noticed almost all their 2-disc sets were 5 bucks cheaper than Deep Discounts. I've heard DVD Planet has lovely customer service so I was kinda hesitant to order from them.

I've used 'em twice during the big sales, and sure the turnaround time isn't the greatest but the prices are worth it. I just wouldn't splurge on the cheapest shipping, I didn't really notice any difference between it and the free stuff.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Og Oggilby posted:

Just from checking DVD Price Search, the 30% deal will actually make all of the sets the cheapest online. For example, the Lubitsch Musicals set would cost $33 while it's $40 cheapest at DVD Planet (Criterion's online store price is $47). Of course, there's a $5.95 S&H cost for anything under $50.

Gonna have to argue with your math there, Og. It's just an extra 10% off their usual 20%, basically making it free shipping and handling and that's about it.

You got my hopes up for a second, too. :(

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
So when is the DVD Planet sale again? I'm antsy. I've ordered from them a few times, but I still don't get emails from them.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

juicy_J posted:

The Third Man
Walkabout
For All Mankind

:woop: Thank God they announced these this week, or I was going to buy these at the DVD Planet sale. October is going to be awesome. I can't wait to see the packaging!

juicy_J posted:

Contempt

Aw, I already own this one. :( Off to SA Mart we go!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You do realize these aren't all coming in October, right? It says they'll begin rolling them out in October. That may very well be 6 months worth of releases.

I can hope. It's okay, I don't own a Blu-Ray Player yet anyways.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

I scrolled down too fast and was really sad when it wasn't Clara Bow 1927 Wings. :(

However, now that Salo is being reissued, I can show it to people and end all of those pesky friendships I've built up over the years.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion confirms via email that they have The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover in the works (no release date yet). While that's pretty awesome, I hope it means Drowning By Numbers is coming at some point, too.

YES. :swoon:

Now get some Hal Hartley, guys! Unbelievable Truth should not be this out of print.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Pictures of the packaging for The Furies

I don't think I'm legally allowed to use the 'swoon' emoticon two pages in a row, so I'll just say that this looks great, and I can't wait.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I caved. I held out for, what, a week, but I caved. I'm actually completely out of room on my shelf, too. :(

I got Sword of Doom, If..., Equinox, Sansho, Symbiopsychotaxiplasm, Diary of a Chambermaid, The River, and, the only one of these I've actually seen, That Obscure Object of Desire. Eight Criterions for $120. drat good show.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Exree posted:

You can have mine if you want to trade. It's the old one with the yellow cover. I've also got Branded to Kill, Kicking and Screaming, and The Life and Death of Col. Blimp to throw around.

I'm looking for Mouchette, Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne, any or all of the Winter Light Trilogy (I'll pay or supplement for that), Renoir, Godard, or anything else that floats your boat.

Hey, I just realized I have a copy of Boudu Saved from Drowning I'm trying to get rid of, and I'd love to trade it for Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. Does that work for you?

For anyone else out there, I'm also trying to get rid of my Haxan, my Mr. Arkadin, and/or my My Dinner With Andre (though it's not a Criterion, I figure someone in here would be interested). I'm looking for some Bunuel, Godard, or Trafic if someone bought it and didn't like it or some such thing.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I just did a double feature of Element of Crime and Brand Upon the Brain! and now reality doesn't look right. :tinfoil:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Yeah, I got my last four Criterions in the mail today (Obscure Object, Diary of a Chambermaid, Sword of Doom, and Equinox). Now my shelf is all filled up. :(

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I thought about renting Spy months back. It's been on dvd for awhile, decent transfer from what I hear. If you don't feel like waiting till November it's on netflix.

Spy is a good movie, but depressing as all get out from what I recall. Great acting, but it really sets up a sense of hopelessness and being lost in a stand-off conflict beyond everyone's control.

Fit Fort Danga posted:

However, the pages do not say "SPINE NUMBER xxx". I'm guessing they will not have spine numbers at all.

Oh no, spine numbers. I would miss them if they stopped. :(

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Jubilee
Armageddon
The Bank Dick
Fiend Without a Face
The Tin Drum

I'll agree with these, but I do love W.R. for some reason.

To contribute: Cleo from 5 to 7 was unforgivably boring, I Know Where I'm Going! is one of the stupidest films I've seen, Criterion or otherwise, Viridiana is the only Bunuel I hate, Under the Volcano is completely obtuse beyond enjoyment, and Fat Girl is ugly dumb poo poo. I'll also jump on board with the 400 Blows and Scarlet Empress indifference.

On the other hand, I've almost seen half of the collection so far, and that I only loathe about a dozen of them doesn't discourage me that much.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

CrashMan posted:

Explain yourself. Now.

Compared to all of the other Bunuel's I've seen, it requires no deeper thought or interpretation. The metaphor and message is heavy handed and belabored. I didn't buy the characters, which is disappointing since Bunuel usually does a great job of turning caricatures into believable people. It also felt glacially slow, and unfunny for the most part.

Exterminating Angel, Obscure Object, Discreet Charm, Diary of a Chambermaid... all great movies that I enjoyed a lot. Viridiana just left me feeling pissy.

Sheldrake fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 16, 2008

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

morestuff posted:

I enjoyed this quite a bit, but I also read the book beforehand. Just curious, what did you dislike about the film?

It was mostly the shrillness of the main character character. I do find it kind of alarming that the older I get, the less sympathetic I get towards bratty children characters (I remember I caught myself rooting for Captain Hook during the '03 Peter Pan), but, truthfully, this kid just made me want to throw him against the wall.

Fit Fort Danga posted:

Cleo - I didn't think it was boring, and I liked the style and real-time narrative. I just didn't give a poo poo about the title character.

IKWIG! - Stupidest, how come? It's very conventional, but I find Wendy Hiller to be a really compelling actress.

Viridiana - So you rate this below Chambermaid? That's pretty weird, but to each his own. It's one of my favorites.

I'll agree the idea behind Cleo was fine, but I just didn't like the character and resented spending my time have to watch her. And I know my opinion of Viridiana is in the minority, but I was honestly shocked by how much I disliked it.

I Know Where I'm Going! annoyed me twofold; first, it has the completely selfish main character who is petty and thoroughly self absorbed, but not in a charming or interesting way. I was unable to relate to her dogged determination, in the slightest. As such, the Naval Officer's affections rang false for me, as he seemed a genuinely nice guy, but insisted on being nice and sweet to a person who constantly belittled him past the point of any reasonable person.

Hell, don't get me wrong, this formula has worked before in comedy, but my second problem with the movie is that it's not funny or charming when it's so painfully trying to be. It has a vast array of Scottish characters pop up on screen, proudly declare they're Scottish and charming, do a little jig, and then wander off. A lot of this felt like nationalistic flag waving, and it did nothing for me. I couldn't take it.

If I had to compare it to another movie, I'd have to say Guy Ritchie's Swept Away seems like a spiritual cousin; pigheaded woman worn down by a charming man in a movie that's well enough made, but repulsive and mind boggling on several other levels at the same time.

Mike_V posted:

Tout Va Bien is the only Criterion that I've regretted blindbuying :smith:

Dammit, I was about to blind buy that one myself. :(

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Cacator posted:

Is Missing worth picking up? I haven't seen a Costa-Gavras yet.

It's a well made movie and the acting is top notch. It's already been out a couple of times on DVD, so this is probably one you don't have to blind buy if you know a good videostore.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I just got The Third Man today and the whole things looks perfect.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Padriag posted:

From the most recent Criterion Newsletter. It's Wings of Desire.

If there isn't immediately a Blu-Ray, I'll... well, I'll just be really sad.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Jack Does Jihad posted:

look how wrong you are!!

Last Days of Disco

I gotta admit, I'm pretty psyched for this one. I haven't seen it in a couple of years, but it definitely has parts that stick in the memory.

I'm torn on Playtime... I love Tati, but it's my least favorite of his films. Decisions, decisions...

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Any ideas on the hint in this month's newsletter? Monument Valley is obviously John Ford, but I can't think of any of his movies set around Christmas time.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Movies filmed in Monument Valley I'm going to guess Electra Glide In Blue since it's apparently out of print, the Christmas part just hints at a December release.

Good call on the IMDB link, though now I'm guessing it's that long awaited Mission Impossible 2 Criterion....

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I ended up buying $250 in DVDs (and one Blu-ray) from the Barnes and Noble sale, and it's really really hard not going back and picking up more. Picking Scenes From a Marriage against Life and Death of Colonel Blimp was murder.

And I'm thrilled for Wings of Desire on Blu-Ray, and I'll probably get the Dusan Makavejev Eclipse set, though I own five of the bloody things now and haven't watched more than a few off each set. Bah.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Macrame_God posted:

Still, $250? Wowzers.

A lot of birthday money, a lot of a lack of financial obligations. And I wanted to get every drat Criterion off my wishlist, and that took care of everything except Miss Julie, which was excluded for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If you want Miss Julie it's $19.69 at deepdiscount and you can add the 25% off code to that. I still haven't bought anything on the Barnes and Noble sale but I don't know how long I can resist.

You are a beautiful, beautiful man.