Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Got most of my stuff today: Ingmar Bergman's Silence Trilogy, Sawdust and Tinsel, Story of Floating Weeds, A Night to Remember, Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Three Penny Opera, In the Realms of the Senses blu, and the Hiroshi Teshihagara box set.

Unfortunately, BN sent me The Red Shoes instead of Tales of Hoffmann, and no sign of Canterbury Tale yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Wow, that's ugly.

Jesus. Even if I liked the movie that would be a tough sell.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

zeroordie posted:

Do you guys think I should move the Bergman dvd/vhs stuff to be down by the two Bergman books, or leave them up top (where they rightfully belong :colbert:)?

I like it how it is. I would, however, have the rest of your Criterions in spine number order.

Also, Jesus Christ, I thought I owned too many Criterions...

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

Is the Martha Graham set worth getting?

Not unless you're big into dance, no.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

zeroordie posted:

Also, I really don't see the point in spine-number order. If I had nearly every single release I would consider it, but otherwise, who cares what order they came out in? In my head it's more logical to scan by director. That said, excluding Early Bergman I do the Eclipse sets on another shelf by the series number.

Oh god, I think I've just completely internalized the spine numbers.

Regardless, I would think about doing that way, too, but there'd be too many directors I'd only have one movie for, and it would feel weird.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Posting photoshops on announcement day is a dick move. :(

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

The Lucas posted:

They could have done something more with the cover art, but a good addition nonetheless.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Which Audrey Hepburn movies would you want exactly? I'm not particularly fond of her as an actress.

I'd love Two for the Road or Roman Holiday, personally. Or Sabrina.

But most Hepburn movies are big moneymakers for whoever puts them on DVD, so I can't imagine them handing over that easily. We just lucked out that Charade is public domain (and, as such, really should be made Blu soon...).

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Okay, Juliet of the Spirits or Nights of Cabiria?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

#507 - BIGGER THAN LIFE (3/23/10, DVD & Blu-Ray)

I got my hands on a copy of this last year and it blew me away. Just a fun movie, and I'm so happy it's on Blu-ray. Between Che, Paris, Texas and this, I'm already three Criterions in the hole for next year...

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Watch it and post screencaps! I want to learn about America's First Gay Detective.

It's got Sean Young! That's like a gift from the gods!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone here seen Mishima, and if so would you recommend it?

Yes and yes. It's a pretty fascinating movie. I wouldn't pay for getting Patriotism too, though.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Thirding Green for Danger, seconding Miss Julie, and adding Secret Honor and Europa. The former is a one man show that's somehow completely compelling and fascinating, and the latter has one of the best openings/closings for any movie I've seen (though the middle can kinda drag).

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

A remastered version of Tokyo Drifter has popped up on Netflix Instant, indicating a probable re-release in the near future (and probably Branded to Kill as well, and I'd wager both on Blu-Ray).

edit: rumor on cf.org says that Design for Living and Island of Lost Souls are in the works.

I just watched Branded in my attempt to watch all the previous Movies of the Month, and it was pretty great. I'm also pretty excited if Island of Lost Souls gets a release, that movie is sweet.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Macrame_God posted:

I already have Salo and In the Realm of the Senses for that. :colbert:

You know people who know what those movies are? :smith: In my group of friends, my shocking opinion is that Transformers 2 sucks.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Well, this is pretty obvious, and already firmly established as a coming release.

This is great news. I love the Disney Robin Hood, furries be damned.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

doctor thodt posted:

The packaging is analogous to his movies.

Incomplete?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Macrame_God posted:

They're all good if you ask me, but "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie" is a must have.

This and Obscure Object are my two favorite Bunuels. I think either one would do you well.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

penismightier posted:

I'm almost dreading when these come out, because then I'll have no money again ever.

I loathe Beaton and am pretty indifferent towards Chaplin, so this saved me some cash.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Cacator posted:

Someone convince me how awful The Wages of Fear and High and Low are so I don't have to buy them.

The second hour of High and Low is really boring, skip it. Can't say a bad word about Wages of Fear, though.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Cacator posted:

But I like police procedurals :(

It's just the contrast between the first and the second half is so jarring. Imagine if Psycho turned into season one Law & Order in the second half. (I know the second half of Psycho is procedural-ish, but not by the book procedural as what you'll get in High and Low)

Don't get me wrong, High and Low is worth watching, but owning? Nah.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Have you seen Hiroshima Mon Amour? I don't see it talked about a lot, and I'm surprised no one's already mentioned it. I think it's his best film of the...two I've seen, haha. I personally preferred it over Marienbad, but Marienbad is still amazing, of course.

I just watched Hiroshima and I've seen the Marienbad and Night and Fog, and I agree that Hiroshima is my favorite thing of his I've seen, easily.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Criminal Minded posted:

I'd buy the hell out of that box just for Five Easy Pieces (which I just watched this morning for the second time) and Last Picture Show. Easy Rider I can take or leave but I'm not opposed to revisiting it. I don't know anything about Head other than the people involved.

It's kinda like a hosed up version of Hard Day's Night but not as fun. If you really need to know anything about it, The Monkees named it Head so, in case they got to make a sequel, they could put a tagline on the poster saying "From the guys who gave you Head."

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

:) This is probably one of my favorite movies (and movie scores). I'm thrilled.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

EDIT: oh poo poo it's gotta be Kes! AWESOME!

Well, that explains why Loach took it off of YouTube a few weeks back.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Oh, like if you had that closet, you wouldn't do the same.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Stop making me want to spend hundreds of dollars on a long dead format just to be a complete nerd, thread.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Clothes Optional posted:

:stare:

Goddamn, that is the best emoticon.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

New announcements tomorrow. Any speculation? I have a feeling we're in for a couple of nice surprises.

Well, I'd say it's about time for The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover.

Haha, who am I kidding?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Well, after watching Topsy Turvy about a year ago, it made me really want to see The Mikado. However, having seen Topsy Turvy, it really made me not want to watch Topsy Turvy again.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Isn't Blow Out new too, or am I forgetting the announcement for that?

Also, I cant believe Sweetie is getting a blu release, I never picked that as a priority release. Still, pretty stoked for that, Blow Out and Kes.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Macrame_God posted:

I just remember that I still have Criterions at home that I bought during the previous B&N sale that I haven't watched yet (Secret Honor, Fishing with John, Mishima). Looks like I got a lot of catching up to do.

Screw the rest of those movies, these three are great. Get off you rear end and watch 'em!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
It's been a while since I've seen Blow-Out, but I'll say that I'm not surprised it's getting a Criterion. It's probably De Palma's best movie, and definitely on my wish list.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Finally. Fat Girl on blu-ray. Thank god.

With a bit more seriousness, I'm happy about Great Dictator, and I always liked that image they picked for the cover.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

bowmore posted:

What's the deal with the eclipse series? Are they worth it?

They're collections of films by a certain theme or director without any special features, save for an essay on the inside of the case.

And, yes, they're good ways to get your hands on stuff by good directors whose works apparently don't deserve a full release. The Lubitsch set is my favorite, but the Flamenco trilogy is pretty great too; everyone will have differing opinions.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Space Cooter posted:

Hahaha

I can only imagine that he's doing a top ten, why else would he be there?

I'd be all over an Adventureland or Hot Rod Criterion. Year One, not so much.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Criminal Minded posted:

I haven't seen it but I can't imagine there's any way you'll find watching a Swedish girl have a bunch of sex a waste of your time

Eh, it's kind of like a boring Godard movie. But I didn't make it all the way through since I was getting sleepy, so don't take my word on it.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Robert Denby posted:

To chime in on the Godard hate, "Alphaville" is the only Criterion I ever sold to someone else after buying it. Seeing as that's one of his most acclaimed films, I've had zero interest in checking any of his other movies out.

Godard is extremely hit or miss. Some of his films are interesting while being terrible (Tout Va Bien), some are stupid while being kind of enjoyable (Une Femme Est Une Femme), some are very boring (Masculin/Feminine) and some are flat out great (Contempt, Vivre Sa Vie, Band of Outsiders). Everyone has the ones they like and don't. God knows I do.

(I also couldn't get through Alphaville)

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Sporadic posted:

Ha, for some reason, the first thing I thought of when I saw that picture was the 1977 version of The Island Of Dr. Moreau

There need to be more Michael York movies in the Criterion Collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Aorist posted:

Man, they must really be digging the triangular cover art lately.

They just think it's acute.