Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The_Rob posted:

I know theyíre stupid and free, and they also donít mean anything but drat it I want my criterion membership card. Any word on when they are sending them out. I wanna be extra pretentious when Iím cutting lines of coke.

This crossed my mind the other day, they said

quote:

Thanks for checking in on this. The cards haven't shipped yet but we do anticipate they'll be sent out in autumn. We'll send an email alert to our Charter Subscribers when they're on the way.

my On Cinema Family card needs a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Original odorama cards are pretty common on ebay and still reek fyi

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Polyester and Beyond the valley of the dolls

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

And still we wait for our Criterion channel charter member cards

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

At least two people on the Blu-ray.com forums have received their Criterion Channel cards.

Mine came yesterday and looks great next to my On Cinema family member card and now everyone knows I think Autumn Sonata is a five-bagger

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

People were complaining about the replica odorama cards stinking up the Polyester case but the original ones from 1981 I bought on ebay staaank

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just in case anyone else has been meaning to see Hardcore with George C Scott it's on the channel and it whips rear end

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Demon Seed is a trip. Boy and His Dog has a great payoff but it takes awhile to get there. Funny how a majority of these are free on tubi rn

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Not sure if world on a wire leaves tonight too but I better finish it

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Friendship ended with outside world

Now watching the half dozen kurosawas i haven't seen is my Best Friend

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

tired: netflix and chill

wired: criterion and quarantine

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mind boggling that tubi and pluto are free

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This thread nudged me to watch the original godzilla, and then I watched the movies ten and twenty years after (mothra and mechagodzilla). what a ride

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The special effects in 54, 64, and 74 whip rear end

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Seemed like a good time to get beyond the valley of the dolls since it never seems to be on cc. Almost got that varda tote since I love the bergman one I have, and will turn it into a backpiece on a jacket when it eventually breaks

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

Seemed like a good time to get beyond the valley of the dolls since it never seems to be on cc. Almost got that varda tote since I love the bergman one I have, and will turn it into a backpiece on a jacket when it eventually breaks

update: ten minutes in and this bluray is gorgeous

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Two unrelated questions that seem like could get answered itt:

-Easy Riders Raging Bulls vs Decade Under the Influence: is there a clear better one?

-Can anyone find a picture of Paul Bartel before he went bald

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

FancyMike posted:

Death Race 2000 is great, watch that one before it leaves

It rules but it's also pretty much always on tubi/pluto

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Band of outsiders for sure if you dug pierrot and want more of that. Idaho too if you haven't seen it

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

MystOpportunity posted:

Finding myself disappointed- I knew content would rotate out when I signed up for CC, but assumed that blocks like Bunel and Goddard would be a stable backbone. This is the stuff Iím most interested in having ongoing access to, and also the stuff Iím least interested in crunching through in a month.

Kanopy can help fill in the gaps a bit

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

In my quest to watch every Kurosawa I had to buy a vhs copy of Rhapsody in August (and find the cables for my vcr). Wonder why it's not in the cc catalog

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Daughters of darkness
Wicker man
Ganja & Hess
Driller Killer

The whole collection stacked you probably cant lose tbh

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm a little late for Ken Russell chat but Lisztomania is the best poo poo ever, track it down one way or another

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

The sale's live.

I ordered Dekalog and Black Narcissus. With my extra $20 off the total was $56.30. It's like I got Dekalog half off and Black Narcissus for free. I'm happy.

Black narcissus rules

I got the snowblood two-pack for 13 bucks all in. I only have a handful of criterion discs and usually only buy stuff that isnt likely to show up on CC bc of licensing but I've been watching meiko kaji flicks all winter

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Glad to finally see my final kubrick (spartacus) and it's better than people have made it out to be. But I haven't seen a lot of those sprawling studio period epics of the time so the novelty might be carrying me

Anyone have a workaround on playing CC on hdmi? I'm projecting movies on mute on my neighbor's wall this spring/summer and doing live scoring. Youtube has a lot of old 20-45 minute silent shorts that are conducive to this but the CC versions are always higher quality. Sorry if this isn't a kosher ask but as a card carrying charter subscriber they should let me imo

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The scene mentioned here in this cool anecdote felt pretty kubrick

quote:

Among the deleted footage was a bath scene in which the Roman patrician and general Crassus attempts to seduce his slave Antoninus, speaking about the analogy of "eating oysters" and "eating snails" to express his opinion that sexual preference is a matter of taste rather than morality. The four-minute scene had been removed following an objection by the National Legion of Decency.[41] When the film was restored (two years after Olivier's death), the original dialogue recording of this scene was missing; it had to be re-dubbed. Tony Curtis, by then 66, was able to re-record his part, but Crassus's voice was an impersonation of Olivier by Anthony Hopkins,[41] who had been suggested by Olivier's widow, Joan Plowright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Here's an unsolicited recommendation of Funeral Parade of Roses on the channel