Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I've been working my way through my Criterions and finally watched Yojimbo again after more than a decade probably. I forgot just how good that film is. The cinematography is so amazing to watch. Now to work my way through the special features.

How does everyone watch special features? Do you watch them all right after the movie or come back sometime later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

blue squares posted:

On my Boyhood bluray there is no Supplements option on the main menu. WTF?

I thought it was two discs? One for movie, one for supplements?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
How is Kurosawa's Dreams? I have really on seen his samurai related films, but the new release has great reviews.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What are some of the more analytical commentaries out there? I really enjoyed the one for Godzilla and Yojimbo as they both provide history and analysis of the films. I started listening to Brazil's, and while its interesting, its more of just Terry talking about the production and ideas for the movie it seems.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I caught Tampopo in theaters earlier this week. Hoping that criterion gives that movie a good release next year.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watching Pan's Labyrinth's commentary right now. Wow Guil is doing a great job with this one going in depth into both themes and symbolism and also production. Do his other movies have such commentary also?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Picked up Blood Simple, Tokyo Story, and Chimes at Midnight. Chimes was a pretty impulse buy, so not sure what to expect. Supplements sound interesting at least.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Raxivace posted:

You should expect a really kickass Shakespeare adaptation.

Purists might be turned off by how Welles refocuses Shakespeare's text, but nobody likes purists anyways.

Ah good to hear. Should be fun then. Got a stack of criterions I need to get through now. Finally watched Solaris tonight which I had bought at the last sale...

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Unmature posted:

Had no idea during my entire viewing of Tampopo (which is fantastic BTW) that Gun was Ken Watanabe!

Ha yeah he is so young in that movie. Such a weird/fun character too.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Basebf555 posted:

Blood Simple is a must own Criterion, goddamn. Some films are kinda like you remember even after a great restoration, but Blood Simple is really elevated to another level by this transfer. The Coens had their poo poo together right from day 1, take 1, it really does feel like a Citizen Kane-level debut.

Just watched this last night. And you are correct, the transfer is amazing. It definitely is a really solid film, and its interesting to see the Coen's humor/style at its beginning. Some of those shots (bullet holes or side of the highway scenes) were really impressive. I really loved the ending as well with the laugh and everyone still confused.

I am excited to check out the supplements now later tonight.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Went out tonight to try a new Ramen restaurant in town, so naturally I had to watch Tampopo again tonight. Beyond being fun, there's some nice shots in it. How are Itami's other films? Guess he made some films that angered both Yakuza and right wingers.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I have been listening to the Devil's Backbone commentary, and Del Toro really does some of the best commentaries. He's full of knowledge about film and history and really likes to describe his metaphors with his characters and scenes.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Finally watched F is for Fake as I picked it up in this sale. Very fun film. I clearly need to watch more Orson Welles.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Supplements really help me appreciate the films sometimes. I watched King of Jazz and wasn't sure what to make of it at first. But the commentary has really helped to add context and historical importance. I gotta go through the rest of the extras soon.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Finally watched my copy of Chimes at midnight. Had to turn on subtitles because I haven't read/watched any shakespere in years, but was visually beautiful, and Orson was a really funny hobo santa claus. Also another great commentary track to help add context to everything.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone else have issues with their Bergman sets? In my set, seventh seal stopped working at about 1 hour in, and now with persona, one of the supplements crashes after about 20 seconds. Starting to wonder what other blu rays are at risk in the set.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Egbert Souse posted:

Only disc I haven't watched in full yet is Fanny & Alexander miniseries (and I guess the theatrical Scenes from a Marriage, though I watched Saraband) and without any issues.

What player are you using?

Tried two different xbox ones. I have read that some printings of seventh seal were known to have issues. Guess there's always trying to clean to blu rays themselves.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I finished twin peaks a few weeks ago and have been going through other Lynch works. I finally watched Mullholland Drive and few thoughts:

1.) I wish the blue ray had the timeline feature like many other films had now. I had to split up watching the movie, so it would have be nice to quickly get back to where i left off instead of fast forwarding. But not a major issue.

2.) David Lynch really likes red curtains.

3.) This movie felt like it has a lot in common with Persona, and is almost an American version of it. I am still digesting the movie and have read a few interpretations, but the similarity in plots pieces (young blond taking care of a famous actress, then growing to hate/merge with her) and the themes of duality just reminded me a lot of Persona.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Franchescanado posted:

David Lynch is specifically against this. If it's got his seal of approval, it will probably not have chapters.

What is his reason for this? He wants people to watch in one sitting, or doesnt like chapter titles?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh I definitely prefer to watch movies in one setting. It can be hard to fall back into the mood the movie was setting when resuming. Unfortunately, sometimes life just interrupts our best attempts.

Yeah I was watching some of the extras from elephant man and was interesting how much Lynch talked about loving producing tv/movies in digital recently. Says he respects film, but never wants to work in it again.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If David Lynch really wanted to put his money where his mouth is you would only be able to watch Twin Peaks Season 3 in one eighteen hour block

Yeah but I enjoy those musical acts with the credits. I would miss most of those songs.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
So finally watched The Third Man on the criterion channel last night. Really enjoyed it. Spoilers ahead for the 80 year old movie:

One thing that struck me is that Orson Welles' character is built up as being cunning with great plans. So at the end, I expected him to have some type of diversion or costume when meeting with his friend Holly (Joseph Cotton). But instead he walks right into the police trap, totally surprised. So while the following chase sequence and ending were superb, I at first felt a little let down by Orson's character. Upon reflection though, I realized the truth was that his character truly trusted his friend and could not imagine betrayal. So even as a villain, he really believed in friendship. This just made me relate all the more to Anna walking away from it all at the end.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I watched Fast 9 in theaters yesterday and tonight I watched Koreeda's walking life (which I am now going to buy). I think I created the Family double feature accidently.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I'm going through some of the neo-noir collection on the criterion channel, and I just finished Chinatown. drat, that ending. I literally just kept expecting more and was shocked when the credits rolled up. Great film.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
At this point I tend to just buy movies that I find interesting and have a lot of solid extras. Exception is if really like the film of course. Other films I will just watch on criterion channel or other streaming.
The magnificent ambersons was filled to the brim with great extras. So much background history essays, interviews, and multiple commentary tracks. The welle's releases always tend to have a lot, but this one seemed to have more than most. The elephant man and Barry Lyndon are some other ones with a lot off the top of my head. And all of the Kurosawa and Del Toro films seem to have interesting commentary tracks so far.

On the other hand, Portrait of a Lady on Fire (while a great film) had mostly mediocre interviews.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Isnt the Tampopo ending just a western ending. Town is saved, time to ride off.

Best movie showing gives life, sex, death, and squishys.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Lol oops. Forgot about that.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I watched Sunset Boulevard the other night on the channel as many directors cite it as an inspiration. The opening and last 20 minutes were fantastic. But the middle dragged for me quite a bit. Maybe the Norma character was just very effective in being unlikeable.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watched Tarkovsky’s Mirror last night. It’s a beautiful film with many memorable shots. But I’m not sure what I really watched. I’ve watched Solaris and Stalker before and these had much more of a plot line to follow. But this was much more a set of stories/memories connected with poems. It’s definitely going to require a rewatch.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Haven’t watched for all mankind yet, but sounds like a great 4K pickup.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Franchescanado posted:

It's an incredible film. I'm not a space-travel/NASA nerd, and I thought it was mind-blowing.
Will definitely pick up then. I watched the Apollo 11 film in imax a few years back so more 4K space stuff sounds great.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I saw the criterion Channel has French new wave section right now.

Ive always seen references to this genre, but not sure I’ve actually watched any. Does anyone have any recommended ones on the channel?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watched Hiroshima Mon Amour as my first French new wave. Enjoyed it quite a bit to my surprise. The juxtaposition of the love story with some of the death in Hiroshima was interesting. In particular I think of the shot when the two of them are embracing and smiling in a crowd next to a man with very visible burn scars. But I guess this, like her tragic story of the German soldier, showed how we all just keeping living.

The opening was full of such strong imagery, som of which I had not seen before. Very powerful stuff. It was also captivating to see all of the shots of the city post war and rebuilt.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ha right, the club being called Casablanca.

Now I need to also rewatch that film.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I picked up the Piano a month ago. Solid movie and a really good looking 4k release. There is a lot of blueness too it, but in the commentary Campion talks about how this is intended ("underwater feeling"). She mentions how some production people were complaining about some of the initial film at first but eventually trusted her and the dp on the look.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watched the new release is Miller’s Crossing. Looks good, and as this was my first viewing, no comment on the cut changes. But all the new extras were interesting. They are all various interviews with the coens on noir, Barry sonfield on shooting films with them, their composer and a few others.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I see the channel has added a lot of Junzo Itami films. I love Tampopo. Any other of these that people recommend?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just watched Chunking Express for the first time. I think I’ve seen one other of his films, 2046, a decade or more ago in theaters.
Really enjoyed Chunking.

Is the shop owner the best character really? Full of advice for these silly romantics.
Also Faye is too cute.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I am likely going to get the War Kai Wong set after loving Chungking express. But I thought I remember some controversy with color changes or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I saw the original version Chungking is on the channel. It’s not on the disc too?