Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

GrandpaPants posted:

Why isn't Umbrellas of Cherbourg on sale?

A bunch of them don't seem to have updated. I'm still waiting on Young Girls of Rochefort and Mulholland Drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Looks like the ones that weren't previously discounted have been updated, for anyone who was holding off.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Just got:

Eraserhead
Mulholland Drive (thank Twin Peaks for these two)
Belle de Jour
Young Girls of Rochefort
Stalker

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

The_Rob posted:

I would totally get Fimstruck if they had a PS4 app.

Yup, this is basically the only thing holding me back at this point.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
What's the secondary market on the blu-rays like? I picked up Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Young Girls of Rochefort and now I'm kinda wishing I'd just gone for the box set. Might just pull the trigger on it during the sale and see if I can shift the other two once it's over.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Ended up with

The Lure
Vampyr
Black Narcissus
Gold Rush

Already had FWWM on pre-order so that should tide me over until these arrive.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I've only seen Tales of Hoffmann on Filmstruck, and the transfer seemed pretty terrible. I found myself liking it a lot less than I expected to as a result, though I'm sure my opinion would be different if I saw the restoration. I also am a decently big fan of opera and I think they tend to suffer in translation; listen to a recording of Olympia's song in French and compare it to the one in ToH, there's really no contest as to which flows better, sounds more natural (I too had to resort to putting on the subtitles).

On the other hand this movie gives us another opportunity to watch Moira Shearer dance in a P&P film so who can really complain

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
A friend of mine in college lent me Royal Tenenbaums telling me it was amazing, and it did absolutely nothing for me. I dunno if that qualifies me as a hater but I've never been interested in seeing anything else of his.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

I Before E posted:

I copped I, Daniel Blake, Woman In The Dunes, and an Eclipse set my brother wanted for its 5 hour Les Mis. Now I'm considering dipping in again since I'm 4 points away from the gift certificate.

Your brother has good taste, that Les Miserables is fantastic. Harry Baur and Charles Vanel play Valjean and Javert excellently, the cinematography (especially during the battle) is great, and the running time gives the full story time to breathe, which is pretty rare in Les Mis adaptations
Also I’m now realizing that I’ve owned that set for years and still haven’t watched Croix de Bois, which I feel like I should fix...

At any rate, I went for Night of the Living Dead, Othello, and Band of Outsiders (upgrading). And I think I’m gonna grab that Jeanne d’Arc on amazon as well (also upgrading)

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading my non-HDR 50" Vizio to an HDR-capable model; looks like it's only about $550, and while it obviously isn't going to do much for these discs other than what you get out of more local dimming regions, there are a number of 4k/HDR discs out there I'm interested in. Of course, then I'll need a 4k/HDR Bluray player, and a new receiver for 4 passthrough ...

Check whether the 4k Bluray player you're looking at has dual HDMI outputs, that way you can route the video straight into your TV and the audio to the AVR, and then you don't have to worry about pass-through.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Egbert Souse posted:

Seriously, their films are a testament to British filmmaking versus the far more neutered conditions of Hollywood films.

Also, there's someone of the forums with that shot from Black Narcissus of Sister Ruth opening the door as their av. Just thinking about it gives me chills.

When I first saw that shot out of context I assumed it was from a late 70s horror film or something. The look of their films is so amazingly ahead of their time. I once showed someone The Red Shoes and they were shocked that it was shot in the 40s.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

oneforthevine posted:

Foolishly, I only got the two standalone releases instead of the set. I may get it anyway and try selling the ones I’ve got later. I hear Donkey Skin’s bizarre.

I caught it on FilmStruck and it’s one of the absolute strangest films I’ve ever seen (but in the best way). I too bought the standalones and regret it badly

Cherbourg is amazing and probably the better film but I agree with the earlier poster- Young Girls is just a joy from start to finish and it’s certainly the one I’ll watch more often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

I was just wondering the other day when they were going to end up announcing this. And this has me even more psyched:

quote:

CD with 23 songs, containing the film’s complete soundtrack, compiled here for the first time (Blu-ray only)