Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Great news about 400 Blows on Blu-Ray. It will be my first Criterion Blu-Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Possible new announcements today (could be tomrorow or Monday though). Among the titles that are known to be in the pipeline:

Rossellini war trilogy
Cronos
Che
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover
Gimme Shelter BR
Picnic at Hanging Rock BR
Walkabout BR
Kwaidan BR
Down By Law BR
Au Revoir Les Enfants BR
something by Ford?
Revanche
by Brakhage 2
A Brighter Summer Day
Insignificance
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Gray's Anatomy
Make Way for Tomorrow
Scorsese shorts
Vivre sa Vie
more Wenders

Out of these, my fantasy month would be (preferably all on Blu):

The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover
Picnic at Hanging Rock
by Brakhage 2
Gray's Anatomy

Not to derail entirely, but what did you think of Che? I never got a chance to see it, but was very interested, and I've heard very good things.

Back on track: VERY excited about Down by Law; just watched it the other day and thought it was one of the upper-tier adventure movies I've seen. Love the characters and it should look gorgeous in high-def.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The Criterion Facebook page is awesome ... I just found out that Bunuel's "Los Olvidados" and a Blu-Ray edition of 8 1/2 are both in the works.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Good news for fans of Makaveyjev!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The second Criterion announced they were doing Blu-Rays, I had two immediate thoughts about the two films I need in Blu more than any others:

Solyaris
Days of Heaven

1/2!!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I think I just came.

Oh, cool, look at those new movies coming out!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The Lucas posted:

All of the Cassavettes movies on Netflix Instant have HD transfers. Maybe an upcoming Blu Ray Cassavettes box incoming.

Which one should I watch? I've never seen a Cassavettes.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Where's my Stalker Blu-Ray?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Anyone know how long this sale goes for? The month perhaps?

I've pre-ordered Night of the Hunter and Antichrist and was very close to buying Playtime, Repulsion, and The Thin Red Line, all three of which are at the top of my "films next to see" list. I thought better to ask for them as holiday gifts.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Man, I thought I wouldn't buy anything else, but seeing House for 20 bucks is impassable. Just ordered it and will be yet another person introduced to the film by Criterion.

It's a little easier to choose what I want, though, because a lot of these are films I want but am waiting for the Blu-Ray edition instead.

My Blu-Ray haul:

House
Antichrist
Night of the Hunter
The Thin Red Line
Last Year at Marienbad
Paris, Texas

And my brother wanted me to get the SE of Stranger Than Paradise.

These sales will be the death of me.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 8, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Also, I may have missed something, but which B&N coupon are you all speaking of? Is it just the 10% membership discount?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

According to a response on their Facebook, expect a Blu of Army of Shadows around January. I haven't seen that yet and it's a good blind-buy candidate.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Can't wait to pick up Modern Times Blu at B&N tomorrow.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'd never gotten so many Criterions at once before. I came home last night to see six of them in the mail, plus one I bought yesterday. Opening seven new glorious Criterions is one of the best feelings, seriously. Putting them on my shelf, admiring the artwork. Can't wait to finally see Paris, Texas, too.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 19, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

8 1/2 is the more "important" film and has a pretty thorough set of extras. However, if you haven't seen the movie before, it could be a gamble. House would be a "safer" pick, as it's extremely entertaining.

I'm not personally a fan of Paris, Texas.

I didn't know you weren't much into Paris, Texas. Not to derail, but what about it doesn't tickle your fancy? I found it quite stirring. Are you a fan of Wenders in general?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Fair enough. I thought the restraint may have felt a bit forced and I can see why you would label Paris, Texas a gimmicky film -- I thought it was excellent for my own reasons.

I can agree that Wings of Desire is a terrific movie, though.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Oh God Solaris Blu Ray!!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

PLEASE SOLARIS BLU RAY

LOOK AT MY AVATAR

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Also hahaha at Babel on Criterion

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I've never seen a Greenaway film. Looks like a good place to start for me.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion just updated the site for April.

Mr. Hulot's Holiday (2-disc DVD and Blu)
Parade (DVD only)
Orson Welles' Macbeth (DVD and Blu)
Fanny and Alexander (Blu theatrical, Blu box set)
A King in New York (DVD and Blu)

Too subtle?

FANNY AND ALEXANDER'LSJWGFIOSARGHS[RHFShgfhsgfisd[fgisdojgosd

*AHEM*

*waits for applause*

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Okay guys enough with the joke posts, you might confuse people.

I'm waiting for your post, it's the one I'm going to take seriously.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Dammit, what was that Solaris stuff all about? I heard White Material was good but I'm not very interested in the new titles overall. Disappointment a success.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Blow Out was hinted at somewhere or other, can't remember. I think it was one of the cartoons. (edit: I think it was a bird wearing headphones)

Solaris was part of a larger beginning-of-the-year megahint, so it could be any time in 2011.

Oh I see.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Quick question -- for the Criterion DVD's with the old lettered logo, if they get upgraded to Blu-Ray, the Blu-Ray edition would have the new C logo, right? Is it a full replica of the original cover?

Also, if the original DVD (Solaris) is a big ugly awkward box, is it a possibility that they would change the packaging?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yes, and probably, though I don't think they'll change the art, just crop it down (which is too bad, because it's awful).

Yeah, the Solaris cover art is pretty terrible, to be honest. I have hopes that at the very least the packaging will be different to save bulkiness. I was also curious as to whether or not they had any Blu-Rays they've done that with... and I guess I should ask about the packaging of Fear and Loathing, since it has the similar clunky box thing going on.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

ClydeUmney posted:

As for Blow Out...meh. I tend to find De Palma derivative and dull, and this was no exception.

I haven't seen Blow Out, but I don't care too much for Scarface and I hated Carlito's Way.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

That's awesome, looks like it will be a habit of theirs.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

YES

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

A mild Criterion sale over at Amazon.

Thanks -- just picked up Black Narcissus.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'm cool with the Solaris cover. It's a bit ... non-threatening compared to the original artwork but it's kinda serene and I can dig that.

Solaris is a furious jizz everywhere while I order for me. I haven't seen any of the other films announced but figured it's about drat time I saw Diaboliques.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

drat, I could've sworn Written on the Wind had a Blu-Ray. I have to hold off on the original now to wait. Man that movie's gonna look great in HD.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

BLACK STALLION

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Egbert I debated on every single DVD you have there in checkout but wound up getting these four on Blu:

The Double Life of Veronique
El Norte
In the Realm of the Senses
For All Mankind

Haven't seen any of these but have wanted to for awhile. Had to jump on this. I'm particularly excited about For All Mankind and El Norte.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Aorist posted:

Well, I decided to go for Marienbad, since that's been at the top of my Really Need to Own List for a while now. Kaurismaki would be a blind buy, having never seen any of his stuff, but being a Jarmusch fan and hearing nothing but good things around these parts, I know I'd have zero regrets. My birthday is next week, and the sale does last for another 12 hours...

And so the rationalization begins.

Marienbad is divisive but an intriguing watch to say the least. I found it satisfying but it's not a movie I'd feel like re-visiting anytime soon. Hope you dig it.

As for the Kaurismaki trilogy, I've only seen Match Factory Girl of the three and I loved it. If one of the other two was Man Without A Past I'd buy it but I can't blind-buy an expensive trilogy not having seen two of the films.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Are there any plans for Criterion to release any more Abbas Kiarostami? Or to put Taste of Cherry on Blu-Ray?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Criterion Eclipse Series Gilly Trilogy

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

In the Realm of the Senses has a great transfer -- the colors/cinematography are crisp and wonderful.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I absolutely LOVE Week End but it's certainly not for everybody.

I would recommend Pierrot le Fou and Breathless to just about anybody though, and Band of Outsiders is excellent as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I haven't seen Insignificance yet ... is that the Roeg film? Roeg is sort of uncomfortable for me to watch but I love the editing in his movies and I thought Bad Timing was awesome.