Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The B&N 50% off sale is being extended until Aug 3rd.

So far I've just impulse bought Kuroneko, knowing nothing about it other than it was from the director of Onibaba. Probably going to pick up Sword of Doom too, another mostly blind buy.

Kuroneko is great. it has some good as hell chiaroscuro photography, a bamboo forest, and like lots of fog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, I went ahead and grabbed Harakiri and Sword of Doom (since I actually have all the others), and I'm super jazzed. Especially since I watched the first segment of Kwaidan last night and now I'm super into Kobayashi. What a stellar, silent filmmaker.

You're in for a treat dude, harakiri is the 2nd best Japanese movie ever, probably.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Eagerly anticipating picking up Dekalog. Anyone else have it yet? Kieslowski is amazing.

yeah, it's real good. I didn't think Keislowski could do any better than the Three Colors Trilogy, but, guess what, he did.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I've only seen the Three Colors Trilogy, but I've enjoyed them. White is probably my favorite because I wasn't expecting it to be so funny.

Veronique and Blind Chance both worth a blind buy?

Yes

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Since you can pick preorders for B&N, I picked up Akira Kurosawa's Dreams and Dekalog. I literally have no idea what to expect from Dekalog, it's basically a blind buy, but based on comments in here from the initial Criterion sale in October it sounds like a great release.

I just finished it last night. It's really great, great scores, great acting, great cinematography, great writing, very powerful human drama, subtle connections between the episodes, and it's even sometimes very funny. Good poo poo for sure, just take your time with it.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

blue squares posted:

I plan to watch each film twice before moving on to the next

I have a gut reaction, from reading your posts in the literature thread, to instantly disagree with you, even when you're saying something totally reasonable haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

I'm watching Pan's Labyrinth. it's better than I remembered, and also when the fascists walk around, the foley artist or sound editor or whoever put really loud leather squeaking sounds in the mix, like almost louder than anything else that's going on. It's really funny and a reminder that fascists have bizarre repressed sexual urges, which is manifested by them brutalizing other ppl and being leather daddies.