Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Nice, I literally just yesterday was thinking about buying His Girl Friday, apparently it's never had a proper Blu-ray release!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Blind-bought Marketa Lazarova based on the recommendations here, I vaguely recognized the title but didn't know anything about it, I've been really into medieval history lately and this sounds pretty great! Also picked up Solaris and The Piano Teacher, gonna have a great time at the movies! :emo:

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Yeah and Cary Grant is such a creep in Notorious, he really plays against type in it and it works very well. As far as '40s Hitchcock goes though, I think Shadow of a Doubt is his best, that'd be an instant buy for me if Criterion put it out.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I watched this for the 1st time recently and went with the shorter version, it's Tarkovsky's preferred cut. Also, this may not be a huge deal to some, but I watched one fairly lengthy scene from the longer version and the only additional stuff was some pretty awful (real) animal cruelty, like setting cows on fire, was not a fan of that at all. Great film though!

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Harakiri was a blind buy for me years ago and it is now maybe my all-time favorite movie. Another Criterion blind buy that I finally watched for the 1st time recently and is now another all-time favorite - Brazil. It's incredible and I didn't expect it to be as moving as it was and if you're looking for a blind buy rec for the sale, buy Brazil!

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I got the Ingmar Bergman box set having never seen any of his movies, only 4 into the collection but I have a feeling he's going to end up one of my favorite directors, can't believe it took me so long to see anything he made. Wild Strawberries wrecked me, I'm simultaneously looking forward to and dreading what his other films are going to do to me.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I've actually been alternating Bergman with my first-time viewing of the Fast & the Furious franchise, those movies are pretty fun palate-cleansers!

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Actually went to an actual physical B&N location, was hoping they would have the Godzilla set but no luck. Got Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Time Bandits, Jabberwocky, Matewan, and Dazed & Confused. I'm really excited to watch Matewan for the first time, hadn't even heard of it until fairly recently, is it as good as I'm hoping it will be or should I temper my expectations?

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Threw on my new bluray of Matewan last night and, man, it was like I'd never seen it before. The transfer is a revelation. The cinematography is pretty much perfect, and the myriad great performances are that much more emotionally potent. There's nothing like it.

Yeah I blind-bought Matewan a whole ago and loved it! Make for a good double feature with Harlan County USA (another Criterion title)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I watched Animal Crackers last night. The plot bits drag but there are some amazing scenes. Groucho does weird asides to the camera in a nod to Strange Interlude, there's a bit where Louis Sorin appears to forget his character's name and it's not really clear whether this was on purpose or they just kept the camera rolling, there are bits where you can catch Margaret Dumont trying her hardest not to break, it's a great example of the Marxs pushing the limits of a comedy feature as far as they were allowed.

Animal Crackers is great, that Strange Interlude homage where he tries to convince 2 women of the virtues of bigamy is an all-time classic