Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'd just like to mention that, holy poo poo, Short Cuts comes with a loving book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FitFortDanga posted:

Confirmation of Bottle Rocket

Awesome. Now I'll finally buy it. I expect it to be relatively mediocre like P.T. Anderson's Hard Eight/Sydney, but heck, who doesn't like a full set?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FitFortDanga posted:

It doesn't have the stylistic flair that his other films do, but it's a very good and funny movie with a lot of heart. I'd rank it above anything P.T. Anderson has done (what is it with goons and P.T. Anderson anyway?)

P.T. Anderson is a good director. Boogie Nights and Punch-Drunk Love are both incredibly solid movies; though the latter's too weird for a lot of people, it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Right up there with The Royal Tenenbaums.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Vintersorg posted:

The Darjeeling Limited is coming out in a couple weeks but there seems to be no news at all of it being on Criterion?

Nope, unless something's happened to change that. Which really sucks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's always great when a Criterion comes with the novel. Short Cuts has a book with all the Carver short stories the movie contains. It's interesting to see how they translated and hooked together (and makes the film that much more interesting).

WaitsUp posted:

Wow, that looks incredible.

I really hope their packaging doesnt drop in quality with the switch to blu-ray.

I doubt it. Hopefully, if anything, they'll help get everyone else to stop it with the awful Blu-Ray packaging.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ThetaOmnikron posted:

I may end up grabbing the Complete Mr. Arkadin for 15.90 and free shipping, after the 10$ off.

Would this be a recommended blind buy? Alternatively, I may grab Band of Outsiders or Breathless instead...

It's a pretty choppy mash-up of Citizen Kane and The Third Man. That's a pretty awesome price, though, but unless you really like Orson Welles you might get more joy out of something else.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CrashMan posted:

As for Bergman, The Seventh Seal is probably the ideal introduction, but I've never been too fond of it personally. My first Bergman was Cries and Whispers, and it remains my favorite to this day.

I actually started with Autumn Sonata, which I think is his most "typical" work (in that it's basically what you'd expect from a Bergman film, which actually irritated Bergman himself), and it's a pretty good introduction, I think, even if it's sort of mediocre in comparison to his other films. Then you can work your way back through his 60s films (eg, Persona) to the 50s films (The Seventh Seal). The difference between his 50s films and his 70s films is really jarring, and it really depends on where you start. Apparently all his 40s stuff is absolute crap, but I've never seen any of it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I Am Awful posted:

Oh no, spine numbers. I would miss them if they stopped. :(

Me too, actually. That makes me feel incredibly nerdy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Jack Does Jihad posted:

There are very few Criterions I wouldn't own if they were only 10 bucks.

There's an interesting topic: what are the worst films in the Criterion canon?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FitFortDanga posted:

I can't in good conscience call these "bad" films, but I really dislike them:

Amarcord

What don't you like about Amarcord? I think it's pretty charming. The only sequence I don't care for is the Uncle Tito bit, but everything else is pretty much magical (especially the giant boat scene).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I kind wish that they would start from one with blu-ray, but that's just the completist in me.

FitFortDanga posted:

They didn't address the issue of the (apparently) smaller booklets. I hope that any dropped essays get offered as extras on the discs, or at least on the website.

I'm guessing they'll just reorganize the text and design a few more pages. It wouldn't be that hard.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ReturnOfTheMac posted:

Also, it made me want to move to Canada

That's like saying Dead Ringers made you want to be a doctor.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

I can't believe Criterion hasn't released Det sjunde inseglet.

I heard they have plans to release Ansikte mot Ansikte, which I thought was powerful if flawed. Certainly it's no Scener ur ett Aktenskap or Viskningar och rop, but it's at least on the level of, say, Hostsonaten.

Wow, I can't believe I know all those from memory.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

codyclarke posted:

Has anyone here seen Bread & Chocolate?

I've actually heard of this one, and it was on my Netflix list for a while before I found out that the transfer is really lovely. If Fan-Fan the Tulip is Criterion material, I don't see why Bread & Chocolate shouldn't be.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
They probably trust their fanbase. Do their more mainstream titles have protection? Maybe they're just against DRM as a whole.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Probably My Dinner With Andre, because I know they've been talking about it for a little while now, and I'm pretty sure that's what Corky St. Claire says with the action figures at the end of Waiting For Guffman.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Where are you seeing this?

EDIT: Oh.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 16, 2009

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Last Year At Marienbad cover art:

Well, it's better than Danton's.

Edit:

Bergman Island

Length: 83 minutes. Apparently there's a much longer three-part version out there, but I guess it's not used here.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 16, 2009

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Now that's nice cover art. Also, fuuuuck yeah.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I wonder if this means more Bergmans are now on the backburner? Maybe I should stop hoping for Face to Face.

FitFortDanga posted:

keeping the import is a question of whether my inner Bergman completist will allow me to part with Karin's Face.

Oh, you like her that much?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Blu-ray, too. What a weird turn, they haven't done this in a while. Well, if it brings more money to Criterion, then I'm all in support.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TheYellowFog posted:

I guess I've been spoiled by other CC movies I've bought, because the only content in this one is a 2 page long essay.

It's really weird buying the early CC releases because they're so bare, especially when they're non-anamorphic. It's just...wrong.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TheYellowFog posted:

I like the style that Breathless and Bicycle Thieves came in, as opposed to just a normal DVD case.

You mean a Digipak, as opposed to a Keep case. I agree with you, it feels more special than just a regular dvd case with "CRITERION" on the outside. They kind of remind me of gatefold records for some reason.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
My Dinner With Andre cover art, if the Criterion page is to be believed:

Looks pretty nice, actually. The Benjamin Button art is still the same. Lots of extras, too:

* Interviews with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett
* Audio commentary featuring Academy Award-nominated director David Fincher
* Never-before-seen footage revealing the innovative techniques behind the Academy Award–winning visual effects and makeup
* Step-by-step examination of the motion-capture process aging Brad Pitt
* In-depth exploration of David Fincher’s creative process on the set
* Interview with acclaimed composer Alexandre Desplat about the score
* Featurettes on the film’s storyboards, costumes, and Academy Award–winning art direction
* Stills galleries, including costume design and candid behind-the-scenes production photos
* Optional French- and Spanish-dubbed soundtracks
* Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing, and optional French and Spanish subtitles
* PLUS: An essay by film critic Kent Jones

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Sounds like Monsoon Wedding.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The people at criterionforum.org figure it's Rossellini's War Trilogy, but are stumped by the bunnies and chickens.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Playtime on blu-ray

Oh thank god finally.

(I know, I know, they've only been doing this for like six months, but still)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

BarryMantlesnorks posted:

Benjamin Button has a pretty interesting 3-hour making-of documentary.

You know you're in trouble when the "making of" is more interesting and entertaining than the feature film.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Have any of you seen the new Criterion ad campaign? I spotted this one on https://www.theawl.com:

Interesting that it's "Blu-ray and DVD" instead of "DVD and Blu-ray". Is something being on Blu-ray a selling point now? Like "Oh, well, if it's good enough for Blu-ray..."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Godard titles are my favorite titles:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I think Salo is a really excellent film, but I'd be wary of blind-buying it. However, if you don't like it you could sell it as Used/Like New on Amazon for a profit, so I'd say yes, take this opportunity to buy Salo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
At least get Fanny And Alexander, it's worth every penny.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
What if you barely have enough money for gas and every time you drive past B&N your insides are gnawed away a little more?

Stupid sale. Making my life difficult.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Why Time Bandits? I guess if you're a completist, but the Anchor Bay release is leaps and bounds ahead of the Criterion.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Macrame_God posted:

Heh, I was considering The Vanishing, but it sounds like it would be a major downer.

Yeah, but it's also really good, and it has its humor ("CAR GETTING USED TO SASKIA").

Macrame_God posted:

Yikes. Well, scratch that then. :(

DVDBeaver is usually a good resource to check before you buy anything. Here's the page for Time Bandits.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
New transfer, and probably a slew of new extras.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'll second The Man Who Fell To Earth. That movie was unbelievable.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
So what are the details of the sale? I know it ends like, tomorrow or something, but what are the codes and stuff?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Well, I grabbed The Third Man, The Seventh Seal (both Blu-rays), and Scenes From A Marriage. I'm not a member so that was kind of expensive for me, though I'm still thinking of making that a round five. Is Last Holiday any good?

FitFortDanga posted:

Playtime

Hurry up and get here, August 18.

Edit: Dammit, even with the coupon I still paid more for The Third Man than if I'd just gone to Amazon, where it's $15.99. :saddowns:

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

Be ready to be taken aback by The Seventh Seal. Best B&W BluRay I've seen so far.

If it's half as good as The Third Man I won't be disappointed (I've never seen grain so well-represented).

edit: Oh my god, Google just spell-checked me into the realization that it's not "Frederico" Fellini. :saddowns:

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 3, 2009