Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Skeletron posted:

I watched Black Narcissus tonight ... The composer would have done well to watch The Music Room.

The same Music Room that was made over a decade after Black Narcissus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Looks like Amazon bumped up the price on the Saura set to $45. I ordered mine at $34 this morning and just got a shipment notification.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Speaking of out of print blu rays, the flash sale reminded me that I think it's time to sell mine. I'm not really willing to part with the Saura set or Chungking Express, but I'm not a collector so can't really justify keeping some of them around for how much they are worth.

Anyone here interested in The Third Man, Last Year at Marienbad, or Pierrot Le Fou?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I went to a screening of the new Stalker restoration yesterday and itt's absolutely gorgeous. It's been over a decade since I originally saw it on dvd so I can't say how much of an upgrade it is, but I'm very excited to pick up the new blu ray now.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I think the Eureka Masters of Cinema series has a few that are only available in region B that would be relevant to people in this thread. I just watched their blu ray of King Hu's Dragon Inn (1967) this week, and I know they just put out Hou Hsiao-hsien's Daughter of the Nile (1987).

For region free playing I just use my computer. If you've got a pc blu ray drive it's the software that decides whether to respect the region coding or not. I just rip to the pc then use Plex to play on the tv or wherever. Plex is also great for friends so I don't have to worry about loaning out of region or expensive out of print discs.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Amazon has a few Criterions up for <$20

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_...nid=10346811011

Kwaidan, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Safety Last are all also $20 and some change.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Kwaidan for $20 is a steal, it's one of those Criterions that I'd have gladly paid full price for.

I added it to my Filmstruck watchlist. That and Jeanne Dielman are the ones jumping out at me right now, but I've already got my B&N sale list and money put away so will be avoiding any blind buys for now at least.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The current Stop Making Sense blu ray is good release and worth picking up.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Dear Criterion, please rerelease The Killer and Hard Boiled and add Bullet to the Head as well, please and thankyou.
-Hector

If they can manage this I'd really hope they could include A Better Tomorrow

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

My Criterion Third Man blu ray sold for $160 on ebay. I bought the StudioCanal blu for $10 then spent $100 on the Criterion sale and $50 on the Arrow sale.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I love The Third Man but that regular blu ray is so cheap and still looks great. A few featurettes and commentary tracks aren't worth $150.

Featurettes and commentary? More like spine and number

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

It has good extras, I'm just being cynical

The big 90 minute documentary is on both releases

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 28, 2017

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Oh I definitely agree, it just gets a little crazy with the OOP ones.

When I sold off a couple OOP Criterions my untouchable ones were the Eclipse Saura flamenco set and Chungking Express. I wouldn't buy either for what they go for now, but also won't sell regardless of streaming availability. It was so nice when I replaced that hideous Tarantino Presents dvd

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

You've got to go back to this review to compare to the Paramount blu rays for anyone that already has one of those sets:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_62_/twin_peaks_blu-ray.htm
Weird that those shots didn't get carried over to the new review. Looks like the Criterion is from the same transfer but the screenshots do look slightly better to me. I won't be upgrading, but it looks like the set I bought back in March isn't available anymore.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

oneforthevine posted:

And Taipei Story is not Edward Yang’s finest work, though it’s still worth a look.

I think you're kind of under-selling this one. It's very good and definitely worth a watch as more than just a lesser work by a great director. I liked it a lot and want to buy the whole set even though it's the only one I've seen from it.

edit: Criterion has for whatever reason not released many Chinese-language films and I think it'd be really great for them to get into the New Taiwanese Cinema beyond just those couple Yang releases. It's something I've been trying to catch up with and the availability of some of these movies makes it pretty tough. Even from someone more well known like Hou Hsiao-hsien the films can be pretty tough to track down and even then the quality is usually awful. I'd love to see A City of Sadness get a proper restoration and release. And if they could get a hold of the Assayas Hou documentary I'd pay full price on day one for that.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 16, 2017

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Masters of Cinema have some real good stuff over in the UK too. Lots of high quality stuff that should be right up Criterion's alley usually at a decent price and sometimes region free.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Le Samouraï, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Dekalog for me. Been trying to cut back on blind buys but Fantastic Mr Fox is the only one of those I've seen. Had to stop at these because I've been buying too many movies lately and there are a couple upcoming Masters of Cinema releases I need to buy. I'm at about 50 unwatched in the collection and one of my 2018 goals is to get through them all.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

I got the Complete Jacques Tati and thats good for me. I've never seen any of his work and I'm looking forward to digging into that set.

Wanted to pick up that set too, but it will have to wait. I've only seen The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, but it was incredible you're in for a real treat.

edit: whoops. Time to make another cup of tea and wake up

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 13, 2018

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

What are some of everyone’s favorite non-Kurosawa foreign picks?
Everything from Kieślowski, Buñuel, and Tarkovsky. A Brighter Summer Day, Fanny and Alexander. A Touch of Zen (especially recommended for anyone into samurai action movies that hasn't also gotten into wuxia). Out of print but Saura's Flamenco Trilogy is incredible.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I have a couple of theirs and think Shout Factory usually does good releases. They don't mention the transfer for Wild at Heart so it's probably the same as the existing blu-rays. Can't remember if it was the old US or the region-free UK release but I watched one of them recently and didn't have any complaints about the video quality.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

July releases are up:

Dietrich & Von Sternberg in Hollywood (Josef Von Sternberg) #930, Jul 3
- Morocco
- Dishonored
- Shanghai Express
- Blonde Venus
- The Scarlet Empress
- The Devil is a Woman
  • New 2K or 4K digital restorations of all six films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
  • New interviews with film scholars Janet Bergstrom and Homay King; director Josef von Sternberg’s son, Nicholas; Deutsche Kinemathek curator Silke Ronneburg; and costume designer and historian Deborah Nadoolman Landis
  • New documentary about actor Marlene Dietrich’s German origins, featuring film scholars Gerd Gemünden and Noah Isenberg
  • New documentary on Dietrich’s status as a feminist icon, featuring film scholars Mary Desjardins, Amy Lawrence, and Patricia White
  • The Legionnaire and the Lady, a 1936 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of Morocco, featuring Dietrich and actor Clark Gable
  • New video essay by critics Adrian Martin and Cristina Álvarez López
  • The Fashion Side of Hollywood, a 1935 publicity short featuring Dietrich and costume designer Travis Banton
  • Television interview with Dietrich from 1971
  • PLUS: A book featuring essays by critics Imogen Sara Smith, Gary Giddins, and Farran Smith Nehme

Bull Durham (Ron Shelton) #936, Jul 10
  • New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Ron Shelton, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS‑HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
  • Two audio commentaries featuring Shelton and actors Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins
  • New conversation between Shelton and film critic Michael Sragow
  • Between the Lines: The Making of “Bull Durham,” a 2002 program featuring interviews with cast and crew, including Shelton, Costner, Robbins, and actor Susan Sarandon
  • The Greatest Show on Dirt, a 2008 appreciation of the film featuring former players, broadcasters, and sports-film aficionados
  • NBC Nightly News piece from 1993 on the final season of baseball at Durham Athletic Park, where Bull Durham takes place and was shot
  • Interview with Max Patkin, known as the Clown Prince of Baseball, from a 1991 episode of NBC’s Today
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: Excerpts from a 1989 piece by longtime New Yorker baseball writer Roger Angell, with new comments from the author

Dragon Inn (King Hu) #937, Jul 10
  • New 4K digital restoration, supervised by cinematographer Hua Hui-ying, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with actor Shangkuan Ling-fung
  • Interview from 2016 with actor Shih Chun
  • Scene analysis by author and New York Asian Film Festival cofounder Grady Hendrix
  • Newsreel footage of the film’s 1967 premiere in Taipei, Taiwan
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Andrew Chan

Sex, Lies, and Videotape (Steven Soderbergh) #938, Jul 17
  • New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director Steven Soderbergh, with 5.1 surround DTS‑HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 1998 featuring director Steven Soderbergh in conversation with filmmaker Neil LaBute
  • New program by Soderbergh, featuring responses to questions sent in by fans
  • Interviews with Soderbergh from 1990 and 1992
  • New documentary about the making of the film featuring actors Peter Gallagher, Andie MacDowell, and Laura San Giacomo
  • New conversation with composer Cliff Martinez and supervising sound editor Larry Blake
  • Deleted scene with commentary by Soderbergh
  • Trailers
  • More!
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Amy Taubin and, in the Blu-ray release, excerpts from Soderbergh’s diaries written at the time of the film’s production

A Matter of Life and Death (Powell & Pressburger) #939, Jul 24
  • New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2009 featuring film scholar Ian Christie
  • New interview with editor Thelma Schoonmaker, director Michael Powell’s widow
  • New interview with film historian Craig Barron on the film’s visual effects and production design
  • Interview from 2009 with filmmaker Martin Scorsese
  • The Colour Merchant, a 1998 short film by Craig McCall featuring cinematographer Jack Cardiff
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Stephanie Zacharek

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 16, 2018

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

It's a very good month of releases. All of them are a must-watch except maybe Bull Durham. Dragon Inn is pretty much a perfect martial arts movie. And the extras are all different from the Masters of Cinema release, hopefully they go up on Filmstruck I really shouldn't double dip.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Steen71 posted:

Well, we can keep our fingers crossed that Criterion fixes the colour scheme on Dragon Inn. I don't think it's very likely, though.

They're not going to touch the colors. The cinematographer was involved in the restoration and it's the same one Eureka released back in 2015. A Touch of Zen has some of the same color complaints from the blu-ray.com forum types and they didn't touch that one, the Criterion and Eureka discs are pretty much identical. For what it's worth I didn't notice anything wrong while watching either movie and think they both look great with the new restorations.

Related, Amazon has pre-orders for Kino's release of King Hu's Legend of the Mountain up at $13.25. It's a fantastic movie and the new restoration looks very good.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

E: also, is Dragon Inn related to A Touch of Zen?

Same writer/director, King Hu and they're both wuxia movies. Dragon Inn was his first movie after leaving Hong Kong for Taiwan following a falling out with the Shaw Brothers over his film Come Drink With Me. It's pretty straightforward as an action movie, but is still incredibly good. A Touch of Zen stretches the genre into new and exciting places and has one of the best third act turns ever.

Hopefully they keep up with these restorations I'd love to be able to buy new blu-rays of The Fate of Lee Khan, Raining in the Mountain, or The Valiant Ones.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/terrence-malick-tree-of-life-longer-criterion-version-1202807034/

Tree of Life Criterion coming later this year with a new 3 hour cut

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1003709510274428928

Days of Being Wild

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I blind bought A Touch of Zen and that turned out to be an extremely good decision. A stunningly beautiful film that totally justifies it's length. I'll definitely be picking up Dragon Inn when the next sale comes around.

Dragon Inn is definitely one of the top action movies of all time.

And I would recommend watching more King Hu his lesser known films are still amazing. Kino just put out the new restoration of Legend of the Mountain and it’s got some of the best King Hu nature photography and is easily the best movie I’ve seen so far this year.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Andrei Rublev finally went OOP on DVD, so a Blu upgrade is probably coming soon. It's touring from Janus Films right now.

So this would leave The Mirror as the only Tarkovsky feature without a US blu-ray right? I still need to pick up the new Kino release of The Sacrifice

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Personal Shopper is pretty unique. I'm not sure I'd recommend someone blind-buy it but if you've done some research on it you can probably predict for yourself if you'd like it.

Edit: it's a perfect movie to recommend to people who say Stewart can't act though, it's probably her best performance to date.
I hope the release of Cold Water means they're working on getting more early Assayas. Irma Vep could really use a blu-ray realease.

Not sure what I'm buying yet but I've got about $100 put away for the sale so it should be fun. Everyone please buy Dragon Inn we need more wuxia from Criterion.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Online order arrived the other day and I bought more than I should have. The Demy set was the only blind-buy and I'm really glad I got it, watched Lola last night and it was great.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon also seems to have a lot of Criterions for 40-45% off.

Looks like the only titles that are 50% off are Tree of Life, Dietrich/Von Sternberg set, Lady Snowblood, the BBS set, Complete Jacques Tati, and the World Cinema Project sets.

They've also got Scanners for $17.24 and in stock. It's been that price a lot lately though often on backorder.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Just blind-bought In the Mood For Love last week. How was this not nominated for several Academy Awards? At the very least Best Foreign Language Film and Costume Design. loving Gladiator won for costume design that year and among the other nominees were 102 Dalmatians and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Come on.

I didn't even love the film as much as it seems to be beloved by most critics, but goddamn those Maggie Cheung dresses are worth the price of admission alone.

The Academy is bad, especially with foreign films. I just checked and no Cantonese language film has ever been nominated for Best Foreign Language Film and Farewell My Concubine is the only Chinese-language film nominated for the category directed by someone other than Ang Lee or Zhang Yimou.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I don't know how they don't see it as embarrassing when you have situations like with In the Mood For Love, where a film is getting recognized and celebrated by Cannes, the BAFTAs, and a laundry list of other prestigious awards and it's just nowhere to be seen anywhere in your nominations.

I agree. Though there's also Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon that year which was a very big deal. Both did very well at the HKFA but Ang Lee got all the big awards.

Hopefully their efforts at expanding the Academy and adding diversity will help in the future but to me the whole process with the Foreign Language category seems busted. A short list of filmmakers with submissions and no nominations: Wong Kar-wai, King Hu, Ann Hui, Johnnie To, Sylvia Chang, Hou Hsiao-hsien, Edward Yang

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

IIRC, nominees for Best Foreign Language Film have to be officially submitted by the country they were made in, and each country only gets one slot at most. I can think of a number of reasons why China pushed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon instead of In the Mood for Love.

China's submission was Breaking the Silence. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was Taiwan's and In the Mood for Love was submitted by Hong Kong.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I don't even have that many Bergmans but that set will free up so much shelf space.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Are we posting Criterion wuxia wish lists? Because I have a few for that

None of these have a blu-ray release:
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter (1984, Lau Kar-Leung)
Dao (1995, Tsui Hark)
Last Hurrah for Chivalry (1979, John Woo)

And some Chang Cheh would be great. The Heroic Ones (1970) has a blu-ray release already, but One-Armed Swordsman (1967) and Golden Swallow (1968) do not. I wonder how difficult it would be to license Shaw Bros movies. Amazon has a bunch right now but most of them are English dub only which suuuucks

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Dragon Inn is amazing and I think the fights are good and hold up just fine.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

A Brighter Summer Day doesn’t need an intermission

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Magnolia is really high on my list of movies I want to rewatch, it's just hard to find that much time. Not sure it needs a Criterion release though, since it's readily available on a good quality blu-ray already.

Basebf555 posted:

Hard Eight as well.

I rewatched this one not too long ago and don't love it, but it's still pretty good and I think would be a good fit for Criterion. According to a reddit ama he's working on a blu-ray which would be great, as the dvd I think is oop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7quthe/im_paul_thomas_anderson_writer_and_director_of/dss4ath/

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I put it on without remembering that it's close to 3 hours, and I got to around the 2hr 30 minute mark and I couldn't believe that much time had gone by. Every single scene draws you in, and in different ways so there's never a lull. Like, sometimes you have a scene that's eye-popping visually and that's great, then it transitions to a scene of Seymour-Hoffman or Baker-Hall being powerhouse actors, then to Cruise and the most unique performance of his career, then John C. Reilly being his usual underrated self, and it's all so compelling that 3 hours really does not feel at all like 3 hours.

It's not about how long it feels so much as it being one I'd really rather not split up when watching. Five month old child at home means I can't remember the last time I had an uninterrupted 3 hours to do anything. Same reason I haven't watched that Barry Lyndon blu I bought like six months ago yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I’ve been wondering lately if region locking requirements are the reason we haven’t heard anything about 4k yet from Criterion or other boutique labels.