Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.
Mishima is incredibly beautiful, and has an equally lovely score to match it, but I remember it leaving me cold. But it's been awhile since I've seen the film, so I should Netflix it and give the movie another shot.

As for Schrader in general, his output is pretty erratic, and I think he's a better writer than director, but I think the best movie he's made was his debut, Blue Collar. The DVD is out of print, but if you can find it, I highly recommend watching it.

Actually, checking various sites, it looks like a bunch of Schrader's films are OOP. Maybe Criterion can put together a box set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

I haven't seen "The Hidden Fortress" yet, I'm certain that it's wonderful. I mean, Kurosawa directed it for crying out loud!
For someone with over 30 movies to his name, this is a dangerous attitude to have, especially if you're paying $20 to $40 per film. I mean, I have a major hard-on for Martin Scorsese's work, and am about as biased with him as Darko is with Steven Spielberg, but even I'll admit he's had a few duffers in his career.

That said, The Hidden Fortress is pretty drat good.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm not sure why you qualified your question with the "50's/60's" limitation either. That wasn't part of what Green Vulture said. I certainly wouldn't recommend Dodesukaden or Dersu Uzala as blind buys.
Me neither. So taking in his entire career, the ones I didn't particularly like or was unimpressed by include: Scandal, Dodes-ka-den, The Lower Depths, Sanjuro (awesome final duel aside), Rhapsody in August, Madaddayo, certain segments from Dreams and Dersu Uzala. Even some movies of his I really like, such as Red Beard and High and Low, I really can't see watching more than once.

I'm saying that in this age of Netflix, you shouldn't just blind buy a film because it has a director's name on it...and especially if it's a Criterion, due to their higher prices. For the life of me, I honestly can't think of one director with over a dozen films that hasn't made a bad movie somewhere down the line (and before you throw his name out, let me say I have a major dislike of Kubrick's The Shining, so there. :colbert: )

As for the new Criterions, the art is again quite beautiful and looking them up on IMDb, the movies sound interesting (especially Blast of Silence), but, going back to Scorsese in my first post, I wish Criterion would stop dicking around and release a compilation of his short films like they said they would, a long time ago.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

$12 for Smiles of a Summer Night is a good deal, and it's Bergman's best comedy.
You say "best comedy" like Bergman was famous for them.

Now that we're on the subject, what other comedies did he make?

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

This is most likely Brand Upon the Brain. I haven't seen it yet, but looking forward to it. I have very mixed feelings about Maddin, but he is definitely an interesting filmmaker.
Are you sure it's Brand? Wasn't the main novelty of that movie the fact that there was live music and narration wherever the film played? For some reason I thought it was designed to be played solely in theaters.

Anyways, you're probably right, but I know Maddin made another silent film, Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary, though I don't remember any rats in that one.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

bmmello posted:

I would be seriously disappointed with Criterion if they manage to release Soderbergh's Solaris on Blu-ray before Tarkovsky's.
Why not? Soderbergh's version is superior in...well, every way. I realize I'm in the minority when I say that, but I always thought Tarkovsky's Solaris was mind-numbingly dull; no matter how much I tried, I just could not get into it.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

SubG posted:

I think the `why not' is because you're in the minority when you say that.
Because I prefer the version that I liked to come out first on Blu Ray, as opposed to the one I didn't like?

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Fair enough. I just got excited at another possible collaboration between Soderbergh and Criterion, only to see that possibility cruelly dashed, leading me to get pissy at bmmello's post.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Any ideas what these are?
This The Bridge sounds like something Criterion would release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

If you guys haven't read the book "Final Cut", pick it up ASAP. Probably the definitive making-of book. In fact, I hope Criterion goes back to their protocol of including books with their packages in order to have that nice little tome alongside the movie.
Final Cut is definitive in that it was written by someone who was generally on the sidelines during production, thousands of miles away from the actual set, and thus padded out the book with long history lessons on United Artists and brief notes on other UA movies in production at the time, written in the driest manner possible (I don't think Cimino even shows up until a third of the way through the book). Not terrible per se, but the definitive making of on Heaven's Gate has yet to be written.

If you have about 90 minutes to kill, watch the documentary on the movie, also entitled Final Cut. Much more concise and entertaining (and will hopefully show up on the upcoming Criterion).