Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

CRAYON posted:

It is the short plastic case.

The "Digipak" cases are actually really nice. They definitely don't detract from the presentation.

I think that, design and presentation wise, the digipacks are a lot nicer than the plastic cases. I was kind of disappointed when I opened up The Seventh Seal to see the normal old booklet instead of a graphic across the entire inside like on my other Criterion Blu-Rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I just picked up "The Life Aquatic" at B&N for $8.95 with my 10% member discount. Thanks for the heads up on the sale!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I got the Kagemusha and Playtime blu-rays from Amazon today. I didn't get to check them out since I had to come to work. I'm looking forward to tomorrow as I have not seen either film in any format before.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

You other states and your sales taxes are so cute. Too bad you're not visiting a friend in Oregon.

Delaware too. Our motto "Tax free shopping and pretty close to places you'd rather be!"

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I picked up "Brand Upon The Brain!" on dvd and the Blu-Ray of "Vivre sa Vie" at B&N today. I've never seen either but they look like things I'd find entertaining.

I'm considering going back for one of the Eclipse series sets they have. "Oshima's Outlaw Sixties" looks interesting as did an Ozu set I looked at.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I did a blind buy of "The Leopard" on blu-ray today, thanks to the B&N sale + coupon ect... I figured for $17.50 it is worth the risk. It has two discs, the dubbed American version and the subbed original.

My question is, having never seen the film, which should I watch first or will it make a difference?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Thanks to the 25% coupon I got the F&A blu-ray for 20.25 USD! I want the Vigo blu-ray set but none of my B&N have it in stock. :(

Those are my only planned purchases from this sale since I still have a backlog of Criterions to watch.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I was planning on skipping the B&N sale this time since I couldn't really think of anything I want but don't have. I got the "mystery" discount coupon in my email and, since I was nearby, I had to take a look. I'd forgotten that I wanted the blu of "Anatomy of a Murder" and there it was waiting for me. My coupon came up 30% so I wound up with it for $12.59. Score!

They also have "Art House" films on sale for 50% off but apparently a lot of things fall into that category. I got the blu of "Bonnie and Clyde" for $11.25. That movie was always a guilty pleasure and now I can defend myself by saying "It's art!"

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Bonnie & Clyde a guilty pleasure?

I know it won a lot of awards at the time but it seems to have fallen out of favor. I rarely hear modern critics with anything good to say about it and it's often held up as an example of a film that has aged badly. :shrug:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

juan the owl posted:

I never said anyone was bashing it. Just that you'd be hard pressed to find a consensus that it ranks among the all-time greats, which used to be a pretty common opinion. It's influential, popular, and well-regarded, but not a movie you'd expect to see lavish praise heaped upon all that often in "serious" circles, stuff like Cineaste or CineAction; I mention them specifically because it's those people who write film textbooks and to some extent control the narrative of "film history," even if their influence on newspaper critics and the average movie fan is pretty tiny.

But anyway, that said: it still doesn't make any sense to call it a guilty pleasure.

Sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned it as it's not a Criterion anyway. :emo:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Heads up. Barnes & Nobel is offering 40% off all Blu-rays right now. With my member discount and the 20% Memorial Day coupon, I picked up Repo Man for $17.27.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

caiman posted:

Can you point me in the direction of the 20% off memorial day coupon?

EDIT: Ah, is it a members thing?

Yes, I got it via members email. http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pImages/email/2013/05/coupons/0523_m_acctless20off_coup.gif

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Sorry, that's a store coupon. Online it says to use this code at checkout 2C5W8LWMW5YTC
(it still may be members only or maybe it's dynamicly generated and can only be used once. Sorry if it's no use to non-members)

RustedChrome fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 24, 2013

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

caiman posted:

Funny this discussion is in the Criterion thread 'cause Criterions are the only ones I wouldn't buy with this particular sale, given that the 50% sale is coming up soon.

With that said, I picked up Upstream Color and White Zombie.

That's what I was thinking when I saw the sale sign... but waiting sucks!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Hewlett posted:

I think I figured out my problem with the coupon code - under all the Blurays on BN.com, it says "Note: This item does not qualify for coupons or promotional discounts unless expressly stated." Don't know how you guys are getting your codes to work. :smith:

I tried using my coupon again today at the store and it came up "already redeemed." So, it seems BN is generating unique codes for each member for this promotion. In the past I'd print up multiple coupons and use them for separate purchases in the same day. No more of that I suppose.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Old Ash posted:

The Repo Man packaging is so awesome. May just be my favorite thing they've done, aesthetic-wise. It's just packed with stuff and looks so cool.

I think it's the only Criterion release I own where I actually read all of the inserts, watched the supplements and listened to the commentary. It was all great.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I got a 20% members coupon today so I headed back to B&N. It seems one of these always comes out during the Criterion sale, so I held off buying the Shochiku Horror box. Their system didn't want to let me use the coupon, even tho there was nothing against the terms printed on it. The girl at the counter knew that it always works during the 50% off sale so she manually punched it in. $21.59 instead of $59.99, score!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

friendo55 posted:

It's sure quiet in here with the B&N sale starting today.

I just pre-ordered the Zatoichi box set. Too bad they wouldn't let me use my 20% off coupon on it too. :(

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Asnorban posted:

Will they definitely work on already released movies? I will just hold on to it until the day it comes out and order or head to a store if that's the case.

At the last B&N sale, my email coupon did not work. The clerk at the register forced it through. I didn't see anything in the terms on the coupon to say that it's ineligible, but bn.com rejected it. I seriously doubt my local store will ever stock an expensive set like this so I went ahead and pre-ordered.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

90's grunge bands hated being called "grunge" too.
"Don't label me, man!"

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

The dual format sets mean there is space for twice as many Criterion titles on the retail shelves, and the format is more to please the retailers than consumers.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

They are definitely fans of cinema and I'm sure they'd release everything they have if they didn't care about keeping the business solvent.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Also tedious and plodding. I'm not a fan.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I wish I had friends who like Criterion films.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I picked up "A Hard Days Night" and watched it for the first time today. I've only seen countless clips in the past but somehow never caught the whole movie. It was fun and the B&W was very skillfully used. In some scenes the film grain absolutely sparkled, something I've only seen before on a few films on the big screen. I can see how some people might be distracted by it, or think it is a flaw, but as a film photographer, I love it.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Red posted:

Try 8S4553G1DSYPC

The codes are unique per person now, also the fine print on mine says it can't be combined with other offers.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Hope ya'll already paid your bills this month!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I got a "Mystery Train" letterpress poster quite a while ago but I haven't gotten around to framing it. Since it is in the style of an old show poster, they printed it with the same method. It's pretty eye catching so I'll have to find a spot that needs some color to hang it.