Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
A TON of stuff is already out of stock online. I only got 3 of the titles I was trying to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone have a particularly strong opinion on any of these?

Here Comes Mr Jordan
Down By Law
The Awful Truth
Swing Time
Sullivan's Travels
The Lady Eve

Any Preston Sturges is worth owning, and Sullivan's Travels and The Lady Eve are two out of his three best (the third, Miracle on Morgan's Creek, is ludicrously out of print). They're just clever and fun as hell.

The Awful Truth is similarly amazing, and has all-time great Cary Grant and Irene Dunn performances. I watched it every time it was on TV, and am super glad I own it now.

Down By Law is a lot of fun, and very rewatchable. It's very shaggy dog, but it's one of my favorite Jarmusch films.

Here Comes Mr Jordan is very pleasant and nice, but I wouldn't call it a must-own. I like Claude Rains a lot, so I bought it, and I like it good enough, but no idea why it's in the collection.

Swing Time has one absolutely gobsmacking, out-of-this-world sequence in it (the "Pick Yourself Up" dance scene). It's a top-1 of all time dance scene on film. It's otherwise fun and has great supporting performances beyond Astaire and Rogers, and is probably their best film together, so I'd say yes, but it depends if you want an old-fashioned dance-o-rama.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

postmodifier posted:

My post-PhD writing on the use and abuse of alcohol as a creative mechanism in the work of Orson Welles, John Hughes, and Preston Sturges may likely never see the light of day, but let me be the first to tell you that Preston Sturgis is very, very, very good at what he does and you should watch as many of his movies as you can.

And then also read his biographies to find out just how exactly hosed up he was at any given moment while crafting said gems of cinematic history.

Orson and John put him to shame, though.

WOOF yes. Talk about mommy issues.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Got Silence of the Lambs, Naked, Au hazard Balthasar, The Elephant Man, and finally, loving FINALLY after it being out of stock in every B&N sale for ages, Sansho the Bailiff.

I ran into a similar situation where Stalker was never in stock at B&N sales, but this had gone on even longer with Sansho, and both are among my faves.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
My wife was just saying how much she loves Secrets and Lies and didn't realize it was a Mike Leigh joint! This is great!

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Badlands is such a great movie. This is your reminder to watch Badlands.

oh yeah?? well then why didn't they call it Goodlands, huh?!?!

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What’s something streaming on the CC right now that has Lone Wolf and Cub energy for this lovely Friday night?

Lady Snowblood or The Sword of Doom, for sure.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

Per the doris wishman post awhile back, A Night to Dismember isnt on cc but it is on youtube alongside the funniest commentary track I've ever heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irGvRzr0wZA

I'm only 20 minutes in but you can probably pick any timestamp to get a taste

My wife’s grandfather edited this! He pretty much only edited schlock (he apparently “saved” the original Maniac due to everyone quitting from how gross it was). We’ve always wanted to watch it; maybe this’ll be the impetus to do so.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I'm probably going to get myself something for Christmas and I'm down to the Cassavetes box set or the World of Wong Kar-wai (I'm definitely getting the former eventually, it's just one of those "I love them but they'll always be available!!" things I've meant to get but never got, like Night of the Hunter).

Realistically, how bad are the changes in the Wong box? I've seen and love Happy Together, In The Mood For Love, and Chungking Express, and while I'm not super crazy about what I've heard about the color timing changes and other little things, I really want the movies.

How bad are the changes, really? Do they take away from the films at all? I have Mood for Love on DVD and wouldn't mind an upgrade, but I'm not paying $200 for the Chungking blu, as much as my wife wants to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Those January releases are the first time I’ll be doing multiple movies in one month for a loooong time. Akerman, Trainspotting, and Lone Star are definite buys (love me some Sayles).

And speaking of sa(y)les- I picked up the Whit Stillman set, Inland Empire, and for some reason I didn’t have Wings of Desire and so I went ahead and rectified that.

Night of the Hunter is one of those movies I love and I always go “hey I’ll pick that one up the next sale” and that’s been going on for something like 10 years now.