Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

therattle posted:

Criterion are currently filming an interview in our boardroom for their release of Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence

Good God have I been waiting for this one.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
edit: Already posted. Ignore.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 6, 2010

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Going even further back to Laserdisc days and they had freakin' James Bond.

Those laserdiscs are fun to collect. They'd do stuff like Boyz 'n the Hood, The Fisher King, Akira, Seven, Supercop, Baron Munchausen (the Gilliam version), Shine, and even Menace II Society. I'd actually love to see them go back to releasing a couple of 'mainstream' films in the collection every year.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

codyclarke posted:

Why not? He's done a bunch of shorts that aren't easily available to see, plus his work lends itself to essays. And I think there would be interest. If not an Eclipse set than at least a regular set.

Yeah, it'd need to be a regular set since he regularly does interviews about his work, and there would probably be a plethora of supplements they could put on a set. Not much of a Noe fan, but I'm surprised Criterion hasn't taken the plunge with one of his movies, given that they released stuff like "Salo" (which, strangely enough, Noe did a screening/discussion for at the IFC Center in Manhattan), "In the Realm of the Senses", and "Antichrist".

Slightly more on topic, I'm hearing rumors here and there that Criterion is going to be releasing "Red River" at some point, with an alternate director's cut. Anyone else here heard about that one?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

If Wild Strawberries is getting a Blu, I hope they got the rights to the parody short "De Duva: The Dove". I emailed about that when it wasn't included on The Seventh Seal, but they couldn't get them in time. Bergman saw it and thought it was hilarious.

Oh God, I'd buy that the day it comes out if it had De Duva on it. Great stuff. Glad to hear Bergman saw it and liked it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
IIRC, the only animated movie Criterion has ever released was "Akira" on laserdisc back in the early 90s. I'm actually surprised they've never shown an interest in "Fantastic Planet", given that Eureka in the UK has released it, and it's reputation as one of the few 'arthouse' animated movies.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

...maybe Twice Upon a Time if it reverted to Lucasfilm instead of Warner.

From what I've read, it's highly unlikely Twice will ever come to home video again. The directors have recently threatened each other with litigation, and the rights are most likely split between the two directors, Lucasfilm, and Warner.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

The one he made with the Rolling Stones is one of the dullest films I've ever seen.

To chime in on the Godard hate, "Alphaville" is the only Criterion I ever sold to someone else after buying it. Seeing as that's one of his most acclaimed films, I've had zero interest in checking any of his other movies out.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Is Amadeus already on Criterion?

No. Wish it was though. The Blu-Ray from Warner is very DNR-heavy.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

ClydeUmney posted:

I feel stupid. I've seen The Killing a couple of times. But how on earth does that clue fit the movie?

It's been a few years since I've seen it, but IIRC in the final scene at the airport, the briefcase full of money gets knocked over by a little white dog and the bills fly all over the runway. Something like that.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
While we're on that topic, DO NOT buy Universal's Blu-Ray of "Spartacus".

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
The "Broadcast News" release is indeed a hell of a lot of fun, especially since they found the legendary, long-rumored alternate ending on it, and there's a nice documentary on James L. Brooks.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

zandert33 posted:

Here's hoping for the Apu trilogy, so glad I held off on importing.

Funny story. I found Sony's DVD of "Pather Panchali" at a local video game store that was going out of business. Got it for $12. Awesome movie, but I too have held off importing any more Ray stuff.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

If anyone looks at the Criterion Facebook page, they just posted a video of Kent Jones talking about a new release. Call me optimistic, but it sure sounds like Blue Velvet.

Well they did just find the long-missing, much-longer workprint... and MGM/Fox seems to have cancelled their planned BD release, so maybe...

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

atrus50 posted:

Sweet Smell is HOT poo poo. It's just loving vicious; are there any other noir-ish films out there with this much teeth?

Ace in the Hole is the very definition of vicious.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Archyduke posted:

If Mahler indicates Ken Russell, that's amazing. I would love to see more of his stuff on Criterion. Imagine being able to just stroll into any barnes and noble and buy Lisztomania.

If Criterion put out either "The Music Lovers" (which just came out on DVD in the UK; the first time it's been on DVD anywhere) or "The Devils", I would die a happy man. I saw both at a retrospective last year in 35mm and they were jaw-dropping on the big screen.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"The Devils" was cancelled a month before it came out on DVD by Warner Bros. It showed up on iTunes last year and was quickly taken down again. For the record, the print that Warner has in circulation is technically uncut (the X-rated US version), but does not include the film's most infamous scene or the extended ending. Note that Ken Russell has a print with all those scenes intact, and has shown it a few times in the UK, but I don't think it's ever seen the light of day in the US.

Cryptic Criterion Notice posted:

Heaven's Gate

Not a big "Heaven's Gate" fan but I'm sure the supplements on it would be well worth the price of admission. If you guys haven't read the book "Final Cut", pick it up ASAP. Probably the definitive making-of book. In fact, I hope Criterion goes back to their protocol of including books with their packages in order to have that nice little tome alongside the movie. I'd love it if they included the long-missing 139-minute cut.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Aw yeah... "Belle Du Jour"

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Rialto re-released the uncut "Godzilla" theatrically about 10 years ago. The DVD that Classic Media put out is good but PAL-sourced, with all the picture flaws that comes with. The Blu-Ray (same company iirc) very quickly went to bargain prices because everyone found out it was just an upconverted DVD. Criterion could do wonders with it, and they were actually on course to do laserdisc releases of a handful of "Godzilla" titles back in the 90s.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

SneakySneaks posted:

This, and the Nook certainly helped Barnes too.

Plus getting the rights to put Starbucks in their stores while Borders was stuck with Seattle's Best Coffee.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Really wish they'd have used this:

Still, this is a big deal for Criterion. They've been trying to get a "Godzilla" title since the laserdisc days (they were planning to release four of them if I remember correctly), and everyone expected them to put the uncut version on DVD because Rialto re-released it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

Jigoku makes for great horror movie fare, namely in the final act.

That movie has the same WTF quotient as "House", except it's utterly goddamn disturbing instead of funny. That's one I love showing to people who've never heard of it, because the reaction is always stunned, slack-jawed silence for the last half-hour. Seconding "Onibaba". The mask on the cover is the inspiration for the 'Captain Howdy' face in "The Exorcist".

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 20, 2011

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
File name is wacky_skinnycows.jpg. No idea.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

penismightier posted:

No, Arlen's alright, I mean Richard Stanley of the 1996 version, who's interviewed at length in another extra. He's a chump.

"Hardware" and "Dust Devil" are both inventive little horror movies, but he does come across as a bit of a tool in that and other interviews, kinda Alan Moore-lite. According to a friend he's a nice guy with plenty of bizarre anecdotes to throw around. I'd actually love to see a feature documentary on his "Moreau", kinda like "Lost in La Mancha".

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Criterion sent out a clue on their Twitter feed last night that points to "A Night to Remember" getting an upgrade.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Please tell me they're using the theatrical cut and not that weird 'director's cut' where Mann sped up all the slo-mo shots at the end.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Newsletter came out yesterday. I have absolutely no idea what the wacky animal signifies this time.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Pixar has the best projectionist memos: they send trading cards, of which only like three have actual instructions on the back.

Luckily they send all the cards so you're not driving around the tri-county area looking for your particular setup's checklist.

I think it's funny that last year the two directors to send memos on how to run showings of their films were Terrance Malick... and Michael Bay.

Malick wanted the screen brightness turned up ever so slightly and the sound turned up louder than normal, while Bay wanted the screen brightness at maximum so that the 3D wouldn't look lovely and dark.

Pigeon Shamus posted:

I, too, gave my sister a Criterion for Christmas - Guillermo Del Toro's Cronos. She loves Pan's Labyrinth and horror films generally so I thought it would be a good investment. I was not wrong, she reportedly loved it. :haw:

Gave my cousin, a budding film nut, "Carlos" and "Chungking Express". He hadn't heard of either of them and thought they were awesome.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
It'd be amazing if they could get the rights to "The Killing Fields" as part of a Spalding Gray set. Doubt it though, since it's owned by Warner.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion is plugging the Oakland 4-night run of Abel Gance's Napoleon in the newsletter.

Well, since Robert Harris has been closed out of HD releases of the films he's restored, I'm guessing he's going to people who really know what they're doing when it comes to this one. Especially since he's co-producing it with Kevin Brownlow (and possibly Coppola).

I'm bummed that it's not being shown anywhere else.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 14, 2012

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

caiman posted:

That episode was "banned" from being aired in syndication for a long time (not because of that image, just the use of the WTC in general). Even back after 9/11 happened I didn't understand poo poo like this. Is someone going to see a reference to the towers and start crying and sue FOX?

I think that was more about sensitivity than anything else, out of a sense of "OK, they're seeing these images constantly on TV and don't need to be reminded of it even more with something innocuous". Hell, I've had people who lost friends or family members in the towers tell me that yes, seeing images of the World Trade Center (and not just in 9/11 footage) tends to put them on edge and make them sad.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Dangerous Person posted:

Oh my god, I only just noticed that the entire clean version is one of the features on Repo Man.
That really is a feature that needs to be on more DVDs, particularly if they ever put "Robocop" (why yes, I did think about that movie while looking at your avatar) out for the upteenth time, or do another edition of "Die Hard 2". "Repo Man" is going to be interesting since Cox was contractually obligated to shoot some alternate footage specifically for broadcast TV.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
In looking for footage from "Videodrome"'s TV version to share with the tread, I stumbled upon this alternate opening:nws:, that I'm going to have to guess was made by the same people who did that wacky alternate opening for "Dune". Criterion missed out on some interesting footage from this, including a scene that basically spells out the main interpretation of the movie, and this incredibly weird addition to the ending (big spoilers if you've never seen "Videodrome").

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
It shares a lot with those two. I'm delighted, "Seconds" is a brilliant but not generally well-known film, and the second to last scene is one of my favorite scenes in any movie.

The Ray stuff is exciting because those films have for so long needed a better presentation. They've been so neglected when it comes to home video, with lovely transfers. Even "Pather Panchali", which came out from Sony, has a muddy transfer and burned-in subtitles.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 16, 2013

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Did Lloyd's estate produce an expensive restoration or are the film elements just in that good condition? The movie is ninety for Christ sake.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion would probably only license It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World if they could put out the restored version Robert Harris has been trying to get support from MGM for years.[...] Which would be neat, since there's a whole scene with Buster Keaton and Spencer Tracy that's only in the roadshow cut.
Unless there's some big announcement I've missed, the Keaton footage has been unaccounted for since the 70s, and the scenes and shots exclusive to the roadshow version only exist in a very compromised state (culled from a release print). That said, I saw the movie in a newly-struck 70mm print over Christmas and would gladly fork over the cash for a Criterion version.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
From what I've seen of the Blu-Ray, its not a significant improvement over the Essential Art House disc, which has no extras but costs :10bux: in this sale.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

City Lights has been up for a while, but it seems to be an older transfer. What's weird is that it has a credit for Carl Davis' re-recording, but it's the 1931 mono track.

I think the wait was mostly out of needing a new 4K transfer since the existing 2K was framed wrong at 1.37:1 instead of 1.19:1. Only the 2000 Image DVD had the right framing until Criterion's edition.

There's also been some controversy over restoring the film. Its all about the boxing match scene, where Chaplin is suspended on wires. Chaplin was very careful and precise in shooting the scene so that the wires wouldn't be visible on film, and if you see a 35mm print, they aren't. However, once they started 2k/4k scanning of the scene, they were shocked to discover that the wires were very visible in the digital image. A rather drastic decision was made to digitally erase the wires in order to retain Chaplin's intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Criterion.com is having a 24-hour 50% off sale that just started 30 minutes ago. Use the code INGRID at checkout.